BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05/5/2014 10:45 PM  #1

Wilts Premier Shield

I seem to recall that if clubs refused to play in this competition they were fined by the Wiltshire FA. Does this work in reverse? This competition has not been organised for the past two seasons. I realise it wasn't popular with some clubs as they saw it as a hindrance but many fans looked forward to a possible game with STFC even if they only put out their youth side, it was also useful for suspended players using up a game. It could have kept a bit of interest going after Christmas. Some clubs like Stourbridge, enter several county cups so they must see these competitions in a more positive light than we appear to in Wiltshire,

05/5/2014 11:29 PM  #2

Re: Wilts Premier Shield

As a revenue source for the club, it'd be better to organise events around the football club, perhaps as a tie-in with STFC if someone there is willing to allow some kind of partnership event?

As a spectacle, these matches were essentially useless, expect maybe to increase the profile of our club slightly amongst anyone keeping an eye on their results.

05/5/2014 11:40 PM  #3

Plus, there's the elephant in the room - We've had two extra teams in our league, which means four further matches added onto the season already.

06/5/2014 7:02 AM  #4

A cup tournament with only 4 teams participating isn't really of much interest. Most of these games around the 4 clubs has rarely been very well attended in terms of supporters on the night and the clubs haven't really put out their full first X1's either so that tells you how they rate the particular cup.

06/5/2014 6:02 PM  #5

I can understand the above comments, but it does not reflect very well on our county. Perhaps a return to the format of ten or so years ago which involved teams from steps 5 and 6 being included. That would involve around a dozen teams and the chance to visit some different grounds: Bemerton, Downton, Pewsey, Amesbury, etcetera

Board footera