BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27/1/2024 4:57 PM  #1

Bluebirds v H & W

One up at half-time. Don’t know who scored!

Last edited by Yorkie (27/1/2024 4:57 PM)

27/1/2024 8:11 PM  #2

Re: Bluebirds v H & W

First League win at home since 7th of November, I think... and all the more welcome for that, although we squeaked through at the end.
Tribute, first, to our two Centre Backs.. who with a combined age of 39 and playing together for the first time, did a really creditable job in shoring up the back line.. helped by the experience of Eddie & Freddie on either side of them.
Not a very distinguished performance, but sometimes that's how they have to be.. and hey, 3 points is 3 points.  Caine stood out in the first half and was rewarded with a really fine individual goal which he set up and executed himself. 

They came on to us solidly for the last 20 minutes but had thankfully left their shooting boots behind in Portsmouth.
Hopefully the many walking wounded will now have a week of R& R before  Tonbridge.
Well done on a gritty, dogged win... with a partly improvised side.

Last edited by Rambler (27/1/2024 8:12 PM)

27/1/2024 8:17 PM  #3

Probably our worst performance of the week but biggest points return.  Too many individual mistakes with the ball. Some of the goal kicks we took were crazy (and I support this general approach).

However - goal first half was never ever ever ever offside. Horrible decision. Havant had a lot of the ball but they have no edge or real fight/desire - never thought they would score.

27/1/2024 8:26 PM  #4

Rambler wrote:

First League win at home since 7th of November, I think... and all the more welcome for that, although we squeaked through at the end.
Tribute, first, to our two Centre Backs.. who with a combined age of 39 and playing together for the first time, did a really creditable job in shoring up the back line.. helped by the experience of Eddie & Freddie on either side of them.
Not a very distinguished performance, but sometimes that's how they have to be.. and hey, 3 points is 3 points.  Caine stood out in the first half and was rewarded with a really fine individual goal which he set up and executed himself. 

They came on to us solidly for the last 20 minutes but had thankfully left their shooting boots behind in Portsmouth.
Hopefully the many walking wounded will now have a week of R& R before  Tonbridge.
Well done on a gritty, dogged win... with a partly improvised side.

Something else to note and only through what I’m told but no Bray, Holloway, Haines. Ellison on the bench but injured. Ed Williams hadn’t trained all week. Freddie Grant a doubt with illness until this morning. Nearly half our starting 11 so well done for digging in.

27/1/2024 8:40 PM  #5

Agree, not our best performance of the season, but at the end of the day it’s three points.Would just like us to play with two up front at home.Don’t understand why we had a goal disallowed.Thought the lad on loan played well for us.

27/1/2024 9:40 PM  #6

Not much of a match - mainly uninspiring and not many highlights but a rare home win. Personally - would like to see us attack more. Thought we once again sat back and apart from some sporadic moments - the goal being one - we offered little going forward. Fortunately for us Havant despite being more positive - were wasteful and lacking in front of goal.

Agree with Oldman about the new lad in the defence. Came straight in and looked quite confident.

27/1/2024 11:01 PM  #7

Not the greatest of spectacles but as has been said a win is a win and 3 points is 3 points, and at home too! I thought the loanee at the back did well in our makeshift defence and was impressed with Eddie Jones and Freddie Grant getting forward when they could. Unfortunately we looked lightweight up front against the worst defence in the league, and got away with it due to Havant not realising that to score a goal it's best to shoot between the posts and under the bar. 

27/1/2024 11:10 PM  #8

The 3 points is all that mattered today. On a side note I have noticed for a while now that players and management have not come over to the supporters at the end of the game. They were straight off today.

27/1/2024 11:43 PM  #9

Bromley & Torquay are my last forays to watch the Bluebirds this season! They have accepted their mantle of ‘mid table’.
At least STFC have shown a massive improvement under Gunning! Easily worth the extra expense.

28/1/2024 9:59 AM  #10

Interesting to think, as Blackandamber suggests, we’ve settled for mid-table security.  I certainly haven’t, and I know plenty of realistic Chippenham supporters are of the same opinion.  We’re a club constantly punching above our weight in a very competitive and demanding league and to achieve a mid-table finish has to be a real achievement - we’ve still got some work to do to get to the magical 50 points, then we can see how much further we can go.  If you want to watch a team settling for mid-table security then the County Ground is the place to be (sadly) where they have probably the poorest squad for many years 😉.

4 points from two very contrasting home games this week is a good return, especially with injury disruptions and having a very inexperienced central defensive pairing yesterday.  Hats off to them, I thought they were magnificent. 
P.S. it must take a good team to beat Maidstone 😉

Board footera