BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17/12/2023 12:36 PM  #11

Re: Weymouth game

A fair result.  Can't argue with most of the above. We're frustrating, because at times we play some really dazzling football up to and around the opposition box,  and then lack the venom or decisiveness to capitalise on it.  As Angelo Dundee might have said, but didn't, we floated like butterflies a lot more than we stung like bees.  Weymouth were very much the opposite. Lacking our quick passing qualities,  and probably, man-for-man lacking the technical quality of our players,  they were direct, decisive and asked more questions of Will Henry than we did of their keeper. I agree with Eden when he says that he wouldn't single out any players for having sub-par games... I thought everyone had a pretty good game.  Whether it's courage that is lacking, or no-one  taking responsibilty in and around the box, I don't know... but a lot of fantastic approach play frequently comes to nothing. It sometimes feels that we re trying to create goals, like watchmakers, that are  intricate and finely worked... when  perhaps a more direct, more decisive course might yield more on some occasions.  They threw in a lot of high crosses... which we picked off reasonably comfortably... but then there is always a chance of the second ball yielding something... and if you don't speculate sometimes, you don't accumulate.
Generally we are a pleasure to watch at the moment, especially  The Freddie& Eddie double-act raiding so high up the pitch; the frustration comes from the poor conversion rate from promising situations.

Harry Parsons took his goal perfectly  and celebrated modestly.  Good for him.  691 was a good crowd. There is absolutely no lack of confidence in our side... but for me just some over-playing near goal. Looking forward to seeing them away on Tuesday evening.

17/12/2023 9:35 PM  #12

Well we are one game away from halfway through the season. Watching the games, reading the reports, listening to commentaries and watching the highlights........I've always thought we were a mid-table team. (nothing wrong in that!) Yesterday for me was another game to confirm that. Lets hope for an extended run in the Trophy.

Last edited by Chipp54 (17/12/2023 9:36 PM)

17/12/2023 10:40 PM  #13

Chipp54 has got it spot on! You will be completely vilified by the blue glasses brigade!
Yes Chippenham are a mid table team! They show plenty of endeavour, but seem to lack any creativity going forward. IMO this will only be achieved by spending some cash on a seasoned creative midfielder with football league experience! There must be a few candidates knocking around L1/L2.
So the season comes down to Bromley away. I’m really hoping for a massive upset, but head tells me it will be another Burton.

17/12/2023 11:58 PM  #14

I'm fairly confident the majority of the 'blue glasses brigade' know we're a midtable team, they just get annoyed when people say we're relegation fodder, which is nonsense.

I don't get why anyone expects us to be anything other than a mid-table team, especially in an incredibly tight division with four full-time clubs in it and some obscene budgets. I mean, even the vast majoirty of managers in this league are full time.

It's clear our chairman has ambitions to progress, but he seems more than happy to get the foundations in place first before mounting a charge, and that's more than fine by me.

As for cries of wanting "a seasoned creative midfielder with football league experience" - that sounds an awful lot like Ed Williams, no?

18/12/2023 12:28 AM  #15

Fair point 96Chipp, just read Ed Williams Wikipedia. The guy is undoubtedly a talented footballer at this level. Maybe the games against Bath City will be a window to show us what he can do?

18/12/2023 9:46 AM  #16

Ed Williams is a class player and we’re lucky to have him imho.

18/12/2023 12:33 PM  #17

I'm happy if people recognise us as a mid-table team, there's nothing wrong with that.

We're playing at the highest level in our history and we probably have the biggest budget we've ever had, which of course comes with playing at a higher level.

We just need more bums on seats/ feet on the turnstiles!

18/12/2023 5:12 PM  #18

This is always the leveller for me.  This club is tiny in stature to a number of the clubs in the area.  We have one of the youngest squads in the league.  Whilst Im sure we aren't the lowest budget in the league, we will certainly be bottom 5/6 on expenditure and that will of course be dictated by crowds that have very very slowly increased in the last year but still nowhere near other clubs who will reap the financial rewards of that.

When you factor all of this in, then we aren't doing too badly really - our biggest worry still seems to be goal kicks which I can live with!  However that can all change with a couple of bad results!!

Board footera