BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08/11/2023 10:25 AM  #11

Re: Farnborough

No doubt the “very large chap in the light blue jumper” was the guy who, on his way to the refreshment hut in the first half, was serenaded on his way by our supporters behind the goal some 40 yards away.  The chants weren’t particularly complimentary (you can guess) and he did respond with a few shouts and a hand gesture more akin to an old Nescafé advert.  Now I know two wrongs don’t make a right, and I’m not for a moment condoning either the chants or the aggression at half time, but maybe, just maybe those who chant derogatory “songs” will think twice next time - and maybe be a bit more savvy as how to avoid opposition supporters during half-time (maybe go the other way round to the Sheldon End?) just in case there’s any potential trouble.  Shame it has to be like that, but a bit of common sense might help.  I won’t hold my breath.

08/11/2023 11:01 AM  #12

Farnborough fan here.

Well done last night. I was watching on the live stream (which there were issues so we missed parts of the game, but hey ho)

From what I did see, it was one of the worst performances of the season from us. We barely had any shots on target and yet again it was a poor performance on the road. We haven't won away yet and these long midweek trips (Torquay, Yeovil, Chippenham, Taunton) are likely to have an effect, whereas our home is second-best in the league.

Our manager was absolutely fuming last night, as can be seen in the post match interview.

Good luck for the rest of the season and we'll see you all in the reverse fixture.

08/11/2023 11:35 AM  #13

Farnborough forum suggests the stoppage was due to racist abuse against Ty. Clearly both sets of players heard it, by their reactions I thought those days in football were gone. No place for it. Will be in the refs report and a lifetime ban for the offender I hope.

Has there been a change in licensing/ground rules that allows alcohol anywhere in the ground now, not just outside the bar? I did see 3 Farnborough fans with beers in the stand and was surprised the stewards said nothing

08/11/2023 11:44 AM  #14

A lot of grounds seem to head towards segregation for certain teams and it’s more common this season due to trouble.  Maybe a route for us.

That’s two games now (Taunton and last night) where there has been racist abuse from fans to our players.  Very sad to see.

08/11/2023 12:14 PM  #15

Haven't been for a couple of weeks as was really disappointed with our style of play and after 20 plus years supporting the team was seriously wondering why I was spending my money only to come away angry and depressed. Last night was like a breath of fresh air and left the game in high spirits after what was an outstanding performance. After listening to Farnborough's managers post match interview I would not want to be on their coach home. Keep this up and the crowds will come back, just stop the silly goal kick procedure ,just puts pressure on the keeper and defence.

08/11/2023 12:21 PM  #16

Chipp_Bluebird wrote:

Wellard wrote:

Agree with what's been said by others. Best footballing performance on the season for me., although we do need to put some of those many chances away. Got a bit nervy at the end with the 9 minutes of additional time. A draw would have been very unjust as we dominated the game.
The tippy tappy from the back, mostly worked but a couple of nervy moments with one resulting in a corner.
Williams and Mehew have made a real difference and with everyone fit we really do have depth in the squad.

Couple of negatives, Sorry,  first being the crowd...we do need to see some improvement on this, very disappointing. Perhaps some improved marketing or a social media push.
The other being the issues at the Cricket end. We have seen and read on here many opinions, its the stewards, our fans, theirs etc.. etc..fact of the matter is, this is not the first time and it needs to be stamped out and quickly. Better stewarding?, has drinking around the ground not helped? Why are those involved not removed from the ground?
This will only turn the family supporter away.

Our lot in Cricket End not always been innocent but the events of last night were not their doing, they were making their way up towards the Sheldon End and a group of Farnborough fans set upon them. Our lot moved out of the way and gave them a clear path even and three Farnborough fans started throwing punches.

Don’t know what happened and wasn’t implying whose fault it was. Don’t really care either, fact of the matter is, that if punches were thrown and/or racist remarks made. How are those perpetrators still in the ground.
Stewarding needs to improve, else it will drive family supporters away.

08/11/2023 12:49 PM  #17

That was an object lesson in how confidence can transform a side. It was really refreshing to see.  We started amazingly brightly with everyone busy, available, looking for the ball.  We then had a relatively poor patch when  they turned the screw a bit, firing dangerous crosses into the area and pinning us back, before we re-asserted ourselves and took a firm grip on the game with some sparkling football.  That said, when  they pulled the goal back in the 60th minute,  the whole later stages were a nervous watch.. as Farnborough always showed the capacity, largely through their tricky wingers, to do damage and nick an equaliser.  A draw would have been very unfair.  Some of our quick-passing interplay was fanatstic... and even when it didn't come off, it spoke of self- confidence and confidence in others.  There's barely an individual  performance to fault.  Everyone chased, harried, called for the ball... looked for space.  Like everyone else, I had to watch some of the near kamikaze moments in the final 10 minutes when we played across our 6 yard box, through  fingers planted firmly over my eyes. Once again, I'll put in a special word for Luke Spokes ( who hasn't yet been mentioned much in dispatches).. who combines doing the dirty work with some really fine, cultured touches.  One amongst many. Farnborough got more and more physical as the game progressed .  There were a lot of bruised and battered players in blue at 9. 45 last night.  Given the upcoming fixture congestion Gary is going to have some interesting selection choices to ponder, especially as regards the FAT game 3 days before Yeovil's visit.

Depressing to hear of the off-field incidents.  Without being over-fatalistic... it does seem to be pretty societal and needs constant confrontaion and sanctioning.  The one advantage of being a small club with small gates, is that the incidents are very public and obvious and the culprits pretty easy to identify.  The old adage that the best deterrent to crime/ unacceptable behaviour is the certainty of detection and subsequent punishment,  then the Club can only keep sending out the message that the TSS will not tolerate this behaviour.  Clearly, also, a more structured way of avoiding incidents developing  (eg changing ends at half-time on a one-way system?) might sadly need to be introduced, thereby accepting the reality of some fan behaviour. I must say I was surprised at the number of people wandering around with alcohol in hand.

None of this, though, need detract from a fine win.

08/11/2023 1:01 PM  #18

Rarely do I watch from behind the goals so I have not seen first hand the three or four concerning incidents (Weymouth and Farnborough last season), Taunton this season, but after making small talk with a concerned younger supporter in the bar a few weeks ago, I was told that there were ongoing tensions between Farnborough and Chippenham and that there could be a stand off when they came to HP. After being surprised that such hostility existed at our lower level, I enquired if this had been mentioned to the club and the stewarding team. I was told it had. In light of this and the complaints about the stewarding i was expecting some notice from the club on social media that the stewarding throughout the ground for this game would be ramped up as a precaution.

To the untrained eye something went wrong with the stewarding and I find it unbelievable that after punches being thrown at half time and a major incident at the start of the 2nd half, we see a flare chucked on the pitch from the cricket end at full time and no reaction from those deployed to eradicate issues like this. As Wellard says - if there is no improvement around these matters, it will only drive family supporters away. And we don't have enough of these as it is.

Last edited by Argus (08/11/2023 3:50 PM)

08/11/2023 1:46 PM  #19

Very concerning to hear allegations of racist abuse again... Hopefully it's take more seriously this time, seemed to be just swept under the carpet with the Taunton game

08/11/2023 1:46 PM  #20

Argus wrote:

Rarely do I watch from behind the goals so I have not seen first hand the three or four concerning incidents (Weymouth and Farnborough last season), Taunton this season, but after making small talk with one of our younger supporters in the bar a few weeks ago, I was told that there were tensions between Farnborough and Chippenham and there could be a stand off when they came down to us. After being surprised that such hostility existed at our lower level, I enquired if this had been mentioned to the club and the stewarding team. I was told it had and was half expecting some notice from the club on social media that the stewarding throughout the ground would be ramped up as a precaution.

To the untrained eye something went wrong with the stewarding and I find it unbelievable that after punches being thrown at half time and a major incident at the start of the 2nd half, we see a flare chucked on the pitch from the cricket end at full time and no reaction from those deployed to eradicate issues like this. As Wellard says unless there is improvement, it will only drive family supporters away. We don't have enough of these as it is.

It is all very bizarre, back in my younger days I enjoyed the singing and atmosphere at games and still do but I distance myself these days a bit more. I was speaking to one of them in the bar on Saturday and was told similar. I asked what games/teams do they think there would be issues and was told Farnborough and Weymouth and that was it, I asked what about Bath, Torquay, Yeovil etc and he looked at me blank in the face and just said they will be fine it's the Farnborough and Weymouth games that are the issue, it's due to social media apparently and then carries over to matchday and there were tensions last season at the home games with those sides.

I would strongly suggest if it isn't in thoughts already that the Weymouth game is segregated. First half last night the atmosphere was good and then it died a death second half partly probably as the half time events shook them up a bit. They have walked that way to towards the Sheldon End multiple times this season without incident and I feel that the stewarding/security team should have been more on the ball.

The reason the stewards are so reluctant to kick racists/violent people out is that they don't have the capacity to deal with something larger scale that could start from trying to remove an individual and for public safety at that time even though they have punched somebody is it better to keep that person in ground rather than try remove them and cause a bigger incident.

Agree with the one way system, have home fans go past the tunnel and bar and in that way for future games. Our supporters not fighting back I was very impressed with and I think that was partly down to deterrent as they didn't want to be ejected or banned, had they been not so calm that could have been very nasty.

Last edited by Chipp_Bluebird (08/11/2023 1:58 PM)

Board footera