BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04/11/2023 7:04 PM  #1

Eastbourne Borough

That was a great relief!  It's been a while since we've all left the ground not burdened with the weight of a disappointing performance.  We began a liitle slowly but moved up a gear as the first half progressed, stung by a good Eastbourne goal well earned by power and pace.  Caine's free-kick equaliser meant the half time mood was positive. It wasn't until the second half that it was obvious that Tyreke had the complete measure of his marker.  proper old-fashioned wing-play,  driving into the area drawing the penalty, and normal service was resumed as MM dispatched it comfortably.  Caine's excellent second goal was the result of some fine movement and should have sealed things conclusively, but Eastbourne  were let back in in the 76th minute.  Cue Fas, palying through the centre in place of MM, who on his second breakaway run into their penalty area and rounding their keeper in  as many minutes  tied the final ribbon around the win.  Lots of good performance and good vibes.  Luke Spokes and Ed Williams were in  constant driving motion; the latter seems to have gone up a gear since last season as regards intensity and involvement.   Tyreke, obviously starred...  Tom M looked his old self.   Dan Ellison again acquitted himself excellently.  Everyone ran thir socks off.  Well done on breaking the Home form hoodoo.  Let's take into Tuesday night. Please!

Last edited by Rambler (04/11/2023 7:06 PM)

04/11/2023 7:53 PM  #2

Re: Eastbourne Borough

I agree with Ramblers assessment of the match. Definitely a game of two halves. I would like to see us start more positively in home games, but at least the longer the game wore on the better we got. Thoroughly deserved to win in the end, a very welcome three points. If we can produce football like we did in the second half on a more consistent basis the results will come and attendances should go back up. Looking forward to Tuesday now!

04/11/2023 7:59 PM  #3

I got some grief for commenting on how quiet this place was after our win at Truro, with people stating it was because it was an away game nobody turned up so couldn’t comment.  Well it’s nearly 7pm after a home win and I guess everyone is at firework parties?

Really good performance in the later part of the first half and second half. Should have been 5/6in the end. We will be a really good team once people accept we are young, learning and will sometimes take a while to get going. I couldn’t stay where I was in the end because of the constant moaning.

Special mention to Dan, losing a CB so early can be nerve wracking but he was brilliant for large parts of that game. We are in a very fortunate and unique position and a win helps some promising performances (last week aside).

Look forward to Tuesday night

04/11/2023 8:11 PM  #4

Funny old game wrote:

I got some grief for commenting on how quiet this place was after our win at Truro, with people stating it was because it was an away game nobody turned up so couldn’t comment.  Well it’s nearly 7pm after a home win and I guess everyone is at firework displays.
I couldn’t stay where I was in the end because of the constant moaning.

Look forward to Tuesday night

Slightly ironic considering you start the post moaning.. 🙄

Good performance, as open a game as you are likely to see. thought Williams made a big difference, with some good link up play with McClure. Caine was also alot more direct causing problems all game.
Looked like a strong bench as well.
Welcome 3 points with some big games coming up.

04/11/2023 8:34 PM  #5

Don't think anyone could have forecasted that result after 25 minutes! Same old more back passing than going forward then it seemed a more positive approach took over and at the same time seemed more confident. Thought Dan Ellison was excellent when he came on and deserves to be in the starting 11 on Tuesday. Nice to see Tom Mehew back and saw some nice touches in the few minutes he was on.
Regardless of the result l still think we muck around too much at the back and without doubt will get caught out again. Even in the Prem League you see mistakes made at the back week after week. I really can't get my head around why Henry keeps throwing the ball out to a team mate who is facing him. What can that player do other than pass back or if lucky sideways.

04/11/2023 8:55 PM  #6

It’s amazing what confidence can do. First 25 minutes, scared to shoot, then Cain scores the free kick and we are a different side. Ed Williams, Tyreke and Cain my pick.  When we are on the front foot we look a decent side. Nice to see so many smiling faces at the end. 😁

04/11/2023 9:41 PM  #7

Got good value for the 15 quid today. Credit to the players - a lot of determination displayed this afternoon especially when one down. Heads did not go down -  a well earned three points. Some positive vibes about Tuesday night when walking down Bristol Road afterwards.

05/11/2023 12:07 AM  #8

Good three points. Things did not look promising for the first 30 minutes but the equaliser as Swayne Close noted saw a different side appear. Until then, we were once again a strange side to watch -slowly passing sideways and backwards with Will Henry our keeper/playmaker. 2nd half we passed quicker, had more drive from midfield and managed to get Johnson one on one with their right back with successful results. Good performances all round. Caine Bradbury, Ed Williams, Tyreke Johnson and the young lad Ellison will be rightfully praised for their contributions but Luke Haines MOM for me with a strong display at centre back.

05/11/2023 12:38 AM  #9

A very positive change in the chemistry between players compared to what we have seen earlier this season. Seemed to, after a poor first 20/30mins, get the right balance in our game without too much nonsense at the back but also not just lumping it and as a result we were treated to some very good football.

Tyreke definitely man of the match- has been a little slow to get going this season but had his full back on strings today- even more impressive though was his work rate getting back so Freddie Grant could tuck in to defence. Every player deserves a whole lot of credit today though. Haines and Ellison put there bodies on the line time and time again, Eddie Jones and Freddie Grant very dependable, Luke Spokes was brilliant, Nicholls solid, Caine with 2 great goals, Ed Williams was everywhere and McClure's hold up play was quality as ever. To cap it off both Fas and Mehew had a great impact off the bench when we needed them. Having 3 academy players out there for the majority of the game also cannot be understated and it's very impressive the quality of our youth setup nowadays.

Eastbourne were very ordinary, but then so were Dartford. Not going to get too far ahead of myself- we are still in 15th and have been absolute dross at times- but undoubtably a very encouraging display.

05/11/2023 1:46 AM  #10

Sounds like from Horgan's interview Will Richards is back signed on again after a another short period out the country. Haines, Williams, Amadi-Holloway, Ellison and now Richards- plenty of depth at centre back now.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Ellison go out on loan maybe (bit harsh after todays performance), or maybe Haines play defensive midfield/ Williams to left-back more often.

Last edited by Eden (05/11/2023 1:46 AM)

Board footera