BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17/9/2023 6:36 AM  #21

Re: Hungerford

newfan wrote:

Only 380 yesterday and Hungerford brought a few

It seemed a lot more (didn't we say this last year as well 🤔)

17/9/2023 9:31 AM  #22

Is Funny Old Game on the coaching staff, as he is the only one that agrees that tippy tappy football will eventually win lol. Yesterday there was no plan B or C, even when we got one goal back we reverted to messing around at the back. What a shambles it does not work, look at Southampton, playing tippy tappy football and the goals they are conceding.  The fans can see it it is not working why cannot the coaching staff. 380 in attendance today, be interesting to see what the next league attendance will be. Something has got to change quick.

17/9/2023 11:26 AM  #23

inthebox wrote:

Is Funny Old Game on the coaching staff, as he is the only one that agrees that tippy tappy football will eventually win lol. Yesterday there was no plan B or C, even when we got one goal back we reverted to messing around at the back. What a shambles it does not work, look at Southampton, playing tippy tappy football and the goals they are conceding.  The fans can see it it is not working why cannot the coaching staff. 380 in attendance today, be interesting to see what the next league attendance will be. Something has got to change quick.

I applied for the job but didn’t even get a response to my application so sadly not.

We are mid table side as things stand. Not the end of the world. I’m fairly sure that Worthing are ‘tippy tappy’ as are many other teams. You might say they have the players for it but do we have the players to launch the ball up the pitch every time?

17/9/2023 11:35 AM  #24

After letting the dust settle overnight on this bad defeat... it's interesting to see where argument/opinion is polarised... which is, hardly surprisingly, around the style of football we are trying to play and which over the last two home games seems to be ineffective even against a modest side like Hungerford.  "Tippy tappy" football has become a term of abuse...and unfairly, too.  In its purest and most devastating form , played by the great Spanish teams of the early part of the century, it is simply the art of resolutely keeping possession and building patiently before exploding into space that's been created by dragging the opposition everywehere and back.  It relies on 2 key principles:  you have to have the technical quality amongst your players to employ it successfully and it must never become an end in itself.  Yesterday, sadly, our shortcomings were painfully obvious as we had neither the all-round technical superiority to use it as an offen sive weapon... and for long periods we simply couldn't and wouldn't go forward. I'm of Funnyold game's opinion that any sort of 180 degree turn would be ridiculous at the moment. That would suggest unnecessary panic and a failure to live by a Club philosophy of trying "to play football" that runs from the Chairman downwards. What has to be re-thought is how we can adapt possession football to suit the technical abilities of our players, and also start focussing less on the means |( keeping possession) and more on the end ( getting the ball to forward players in space). For 3 or 4 minutes at the end of the first half we moved upfield as a unit and looked dangerous doing so.,  We began the second half in similar fashion and spent more time in Hungerford's half  in a few minutes than we'd spent in the whole first half.  Then the sucker second goal killed us off .. and the rest of the sad story unwound in a demoralising spiral of frustration and lack of belief.
Whatever went wrong yesterday really mustn't become a confidence sapping disease.  Clearly we have players with ability but some of whom need sometimes to be let off the leash of "the system".  For me, Luke Spokes played far too deep in the first half and Nat W too far up the field.  We looked lop-sided and once again we seemed to funnel far too much down the left.  My memory tells me ( always a bit shaky) that the only person who really tried to run at Hungerford once or twice was Aaron A-H. 
I really hope confidence hasn't been too badly dented.  If that begins to happen then  sideways passing becomes " pass the parcel" as players become afraid of making mistakes and pass the ball instead of taking responsibility for it.
We're a long way off panic. Gary & Matt have earned our unstinting support for a decent length of time, but in turn the fans are owed some basics, like seeing their side attacking with passion and intent.  Both are lacking and crowd atmosphere  over the last 2 home games has disappereaed into a sort of sullen silence.
BTW. Don't forget that Cup games exclude Season Ticket holders, while League games include them automatically.  I dont know the number of STs sold but would reckon there were the equivalent of 500 or so there yesterday had it been a League fixture.

17/9/2023 12:20 PM  #25

Rambler seems to have summed up our current situation well. I am not a fan of "tippy-tappy" football and don't think it has added anything to our game. However this is the way the players have been told to play regardless of what is happening during a game. It's as if the players are not allowed to use any discretion. What is the problem of mixing things up? Old fashion it maybe now but at times a kick up field straight from a goalkick maybe the best course of action. If that wasn't appropriate then a short pass to a defender, preferably a full back, OUTSIDE the penalty who could then play the ball forward was an option. Now we get all this mucking around in the penalty area and by the time someone decides to pass the ball forward they are under pressure. You play a style of football that suits the players you have not how the coaches want them to play

17/9/2023 2:07 PM  #26

Pherhaps, we were on the back foot before the game started. McClure doesn’t start so any match plan that was in place goes out the window, ten minutes maximum to sort things out. Fasanmade isn’t a like for like replacement. I’m not a football manager but in hindsight wouldn’t it had been better to have started with Windsor.I assume that if McClure didn’t start or was listed as a substitute he isn’t cup-tied.

17/9/2023 2:43 PM  #27

Chipp54 wrote:

Not sure whether to post here or under the FA Cup Embarrassment thread! That was absolutely appalling today from start to finish. From strange team selection/positions, to lack of 'pride and passion' from the off, to inept decision making, to persistence with systems that clearly don't work, to poor attendance. Some very angry supporters left that ground today.

In case any of you think this was a knee-jerk reaction I can promise you I wouldn't change a word today. If I was to edit the post I would add a sentence giving Hungerford credit for taking advantage of our poor display.

At least the defeat has sparked a really interesting debate on here!

17/9/2023 4:15 PM  #28

Rambler wrote:

BTW. Don't forget that Cup games exclude Season Ticket holders, while League games include them automatically.  I dont know the number of STs sold but would reckon there were the equivalent of 500 or so there yesterday had it been a League fixture.

We had this theory last year... Unless most ST holders don't turn up to league games (unlikely) it makes no difference to an attendance being a cup or league game. I would agree there seemed around 500 yesterday though

18/9/2023 9:47 AM  #29

Get used to what people call the "tippy tappy" football and players.

Lots of young academy lads coming through from league teams will be brought up playing that style of football so get used to it is what I say.

We write it off as a bad day at the office. Hopefully we can go deep in the trophy, and whilst the money earned from that competition isn't the same as the FA Cup, it's always nice to have a cup/trophy run.

Keeping our league status is the bare minimum and there's a long way to go in that regard but for me we look good enough to stay in this division.

18/9/2023 1:49 PM  #30

We'd have been off to Torquay to the Third Quali

Board footera