BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09/9/2023 5:57 PM  #1

Maidstone

One of the worst home displays for a long time. Lucky to keep the HT score at 0-2. One obligatory world class save from Will Henry would be the only positive. That and the half-time sub to sensibly ensure we didn't end up with 10 men again in this heat

No plan, no confidence, no team shape, no cohesion or communication. Even at 0-2 down in the first half we still opted for first choice playing the ball reverse pass back to re-cycle and did so right until the end. There was no attacking thrust and we were constantly out-gunned in the midfield.

If the idea was to play a wide game and use wingers and pace to beat them,then in such heat that was a stupid plan. And if so,poor Alex Bray had overhit passes to chase in the first half and then was barely passed to, screaming for the ball,in the second half.

Maidstone were stronger, fitter and wanted it more right from the whistle. We had no answer

I can only hope we are saving ourselves for the FA Cup game next week but if Hungerford were watching us today, as I expect they would,they will be rubbing their hands. A different team needs to turn up for us next week and it needs to know what it wants

09/9/2023 6:11 PM  #2

Re: Maidstone

Agree with every Newfan has said. The only positive was we only lost by 2 goals. And that l think was mainly due to the fact Maidstone seemed to want to walk it in.
I reckon about 5pc of our passes found a team mate such was our performance. Their keeper did not have one shot or cross to deal with. That says it all. Absolutely awful is the only way l can describe it. A vast improvement needed next week or a very short cup run this season

09/9/2023 6:25 PM  #3

I have followed the Bluebirds for over 50 years now, and I can honestly say that was one of the most inept,clueless and boring performances that I have ever seen, and if Horgs continues with this tippy tappy possession type football, the fans will vote with their feet and not come to games.This style of play is not the CTFC way. We do not have the players to successfully play this way, and sooner we adopt a different approach the better in my opinion. We have a captain that has no idea how to motivate or lead his players, and in my opinion someone like Luke Haines would be a much better leader - rant over !

09/9/2023 6:48 PM  #4

I think people should take note that Maidstone are a full time squad and surely look destined to be fighting for promotion at the end of the season.!
In comparison it did look like men versus boys all the way through. It was very disappointing not to register one shot on target the whole game but the team put out today along with the subs on the bench were simply not at the races,
I agree that a captain needs to be a defender who commands from the back. To date that has not happened!
The game against Taunton on Tuesday night clearly took a lot out of the players. Management now has to sit down and if they think necessary reset how they want us to play. I am worried that we will struggle again to maintain our place in this division which let’s face it is unforgiving.
The town deserves a team playing at this level so let’s keep behind the lads and hopefully results will follow!

09/9/2023 6:59 PM  #5

We were poor today, not much argument from me on that one.
But regarding the ‘tippy tappy’ approach that referred to, would you rather see us lump it up field every time? We did that a few seasons back with Marlon Jackson up front and that didn’t work out well. Awful to watch.
Maidstone where just better than us.

Williams makes me nervous when he strides  forward with the ball, lost it doing that 3 time against Taunton with one leading to their goal.
We lacked creativity today but most of all we are toothless up front. McClure is a passenger up front and gets very little service and so drops deep.
Windsor….sorry  despite  odd goal he’s just ineffective and gets muscled off that ball too easily.
Maybe a bit too much youth in the squad.
Hopefully things will improve when injured players return.

I’ve said before we need another big centre back and definitely a striker.
We aren’t going to get 40 games out of McClure.

Apologies to any players who maybe reading this, I know us fans aren’t supposed to have an option incase it upsets you.

Last edited by Wellard (09/9/2023 9:51 PM)

09/9/2023 7:00 PM  #6

toyboy wrote:

I have followed the Bluebirds for over 50 years now, and I can honestly say that was one of the most inept,clueless and boring performances that I have ever seen, and if Horgs continues with this tippy tappy possession type football, the fans will vote with their feet and not come to games.This style of play is not the CTFC way. We do not have the players to successfully play this way, and sooner we adopt a different approach the better in my opinion. We have a captain that has no idea how to motivate or lead his players, and in my opinion someone like Luke Haines would be a much better leader - rant over !

I would argue we do have the personnel to play that style and our summer recruits highlight that. We will win more games than we'll lose playing our style in this division in my honest opinion.

Just one of those games today, hot weather, lethargic, have to write it off as a bad day at the office.

We go again on Saturday, at home, FA Cup, hopefully can dominate.

09/9/2023 7:10 PM  #7

We were completely outplayed and out-competed today by a well-conditioned, physical, skilful, full-time professional team.  They dominated in every department.  I don't think we were awful, just second best all the time.  We were made to look bereft of pace, ideas and quality by the opposition not by our own innate qualities.. so well done to Maidstone for that.  The sideways football was also, in part, a tribute to Maidstone because opportunities and openings ahead didn't become available and we were constantly forced to look backwards.  My major criticism was that there were not enough players making runs and opportunities for the ball to go forward. Space is created; it is not a gift!!  We seemed very static, while Maidstone were in constant movement.At some points they were defending in our half such was their dominance. I agree with newfan that poor old Alex Bray was our only outlet.  We offered no threat at all down the right and almost nothing through the middle. 
We will meet teams like this who steamroller us,  but I really belive there is ample quality enough in this squad to succeed in this League. 

Bad day at the office.  Put it behind us.  Bring on Hungerford... who will be physical.. we know that.. but not possessed of anything like the quality of Maidstone on the basis of their showing today.

09/9/2023 7:52 PM  #8

I find it interesting that fans like Toyboy only post when there are negative results. Almost like there are agendas to his words. The tippy tappy football was on full display Tuesday and was working until the red card. No words about it then though?  I also remember your little area in the ground constantly berating Mike Cooke for how is long ball football. As my username suggests, it’s a funny old game.

We did not start well. Looked like a team that played a lot of Tuesday with 10 men against a full time side today. Second to most things. Then at 2-0 it was more even but only because Maidstone let their foot off he has.

The reality is we are a new side, a very young side and whether people like it or not, we have one or the smallest budgets in this league.  There will be days like today again, I have no doubt. Part of football.

We have 7 attacking senior players - Bradbury, Owen Evans, Johnson, McClure, Windsor, Fas and Bray. 3 of those are out. One has just come back and one came off the bench today and looked rusty. We are nowhere near our best team at the moment.

09/9/2023 8:35 PM  #9

As has already been stated we were completely outplayed from start to finish. The most worrying thing for me was that we didn't seem to make any attempt to change things even when it was clear very early on that our game plan wasn't working. We tried many times to play out from the back and rarely even reached the halfway line! To play 90+ minutes at home and not make the away keeper make one save tells it all really.

However each game is different and next week the team will have a chance to make amends against Hungerford.

09/9/2023 8:37 PM  #10

Beaten by a full time outfit that, as I understand it came over yesterday. Take a chill pill, at the end of the season it's 3 points. They'll be there or there abouts come next may,  we just need to take the wins in front of us and not needlessly blow up.
Better job next time and we're all happy.

Want a bare knuckle fight? I'll knock you out you Cnut.

Board footera