BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27/8/2023 2:13 PM  #1

Yellow Cards

Apologies as I have moaned about this already in discussing the Tonbridge game.  But I really do feel that our game, at all levels -  Premier League and downwards, is already being damaged by the over-rigid application of new rules regarding foul play.  Tony Cascarino ( many of you will remember him) wrote a really interesting piece in the National press last week entitled "Time [that] card-happy referees learnt some humility". His central argument is that referees have lost touch with the feel of a game and  are now applying yellows and reds like automotons.  " This trigger-happy approach" says Cascarino "means referees are not ensuring games are good, fair and clean.  Instead they are prioritising punishing players... [ and] jumping into these decisions far too hastily".  The result is that the outcomes of games are being seriously skewed ( Tonbridge penalty?)  as teams lose red-carded players for seemingly non-cardinal crimes. " When referees dish out bookings so frivolously, it's a sign that they don't have control of the match and are reacting to events rather than guiding players" ..... "Officials are making decisions without considering context. It makes the game tough to watch, and even tougher to play!"

As a quick sample, I noticed on the Yeovil site after Saturday's win, their match report writer basically said the game was clean and good-tempered, yet couldn't understand why 8 yellow cards had been issued.  Oxford United .v. Charlton  on Saturday... perfectly even-tempered game, ..9 yellows. 
Despite the infancy of the season,  it's already time for fans at every level to start venting their displeasure at this.  It's spoiling the spectacle, confusing players and leading to injustice.

27/8/2023 10:17 PM  #2

Re: Yellow Cards

Yes, very noticeable at all levels of the game. As I stated in a recent post squads are going to be stretched more than ever when the inevitable suspensions come in. Ironically we play Slough tomorrow, a fixture which if memory serves normally produces lots of cards. We will see...
I'm not sure what we as fans can do about this, if anything.

28/8/2023 7:09 PM  #3

Today’s game at least six cards, three for each side for certain.Craig Fasanmade was booked even though ref had no idea what had happened,all he saw was a Slough player on the ground.

28/8/2023 8:56 PM  #4

It’s a real problem and ruining games. Noticed the amount of injury time across games seems to be back to normal though. They just make it up as they go along

29/8/2023 8:12 AM  #5

I think a lot of people are having this yellow card discussion at our level. Bath City's game against Hampton on Saturday yielded 7 yellows even though none of us could remember a single bad foul during the game. According to "Live Score' you had 7 yellows in your Slough match so definitely not isolated incidents.

Board footera