BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20/8/2023 2:35 PM  #11

Re: Tonbridge

I think there the glaring reality is that we have one of the newest and youngest squads in the league. We retained 9 players from last seasons squad and 3 of those joined midway through and 3 of them are from
our academy and they are now viewed as established players. We have brought in some really promising players but i think we need to brace ourselves for some tough games where things don’t click. It takes a while for a team to gel but we did it last season with a championship run of form in the second half of the season.

Lots of new players and young players will take time. Other than Gloucester and Dover, I’m unsure what other team has gone through such upheaval, most add one or two and lose the same?  Based on that, we have been competitive (I wasn’t at Torquay but making the presumption) in every game we’ve had this season so I’m more than satisfied.

20/8/2023 3:28 PM  #12

I too was concerned when I saw the team sheet, and would have happily taken a draw. The starting eleven would presumably be very different if the whole squad were available. That said there was no lack of effort and we remained competitive throughout. Frankly I thought we were fortunate to beat Aveley and unfortunate to lose yesterday, so things have evened out? Apparently the increased number of cards we have witnessed in our games has also been happening to other clubs, could be some depleted squads later on when the inevitable suspensions kick in.

After four games we are comfortably mid-table and I think that's whereabouts we will finish (debateable I know!)

Not the greatest of games yesterday (or result obviously) but important to say I would not have wanted to be anywhere else at 3pm yesterday.

20/8/2023 9:06 PM  #13

One of those games, won 2 lost 2, they'll be plenty of rotation over the season.

Tonbridge just wanted it more yesterday, first to every ball and felt more physical too.

It was a bit of a flat performance, the weather, the crowd, just everything. I'm sure it won't be like that every week (he hopes).

Highlight was seeing Dan Ellison play 90 mins and get man of the match, also another debutant in Mal Nicholls who acquitted himself well too.

20/8/2023 9:30 PM  #14

Why, when we were behind in the match did they seem so reluctant to go forward. Passing around across the back and passing back even in the last ten minutes

Board footera