BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19/7/2023 9:21 AM  #41

Re: New Signings

Rambler wrote:

Health Warning: This is a dangerously optimistic report

Swindon Supermarine:
  We looked really impressive  last night, and in complete control from start to finish.  It was hard to believe at times that SS are only a League beneath us and are in the same League as Hungerford who carried so much more threat and physical presence.
Strong starting line up and interesting to watch Spokes and T O-E in harness.  They looked more than comfortable.  Very clear game plan... get the ball as quickly and directly as possible to Fas and Tyreke who played as out-and-out old-fashioned wingers and raided at will down both flanks ( particularly the  right) unleashed by long diagonal balls.  Owen W looked lively up front but maybe a tad off the pace (?). 1st goal was a near copy of Hungerford. Tyreke down the left... cross and Fas met it in the air. Will K & Eddie J solid and in control at the back.  The triallist No 5 is an interesting one.  Big, left-footed  and comfortable on the ball... but again a bit prone to dwelling/overconfidence in my eyes.  I haven't gauged how quick he is either. Caught out again once or twice.  Luke Haines ( captain) rock solid. Caine his usual busy effective self. The second half substitutions saw a brillint cameo goal from Otis Lewis.. who just ran and ran at SS from 40/50 metres out then popped the ball beyond the goalkeeper.  Mal N did his busy snapping  and Pablo ( I think at No 11) looked assured.
Without invoking the curse of pre-season over optimism, this was a reall really assured performance. As the rain came down we looked slicker and slicker.  I was at this fixture pretty much exactly 3 years ago where we huffed and puffed in mediocrity against an average SS side.  We looked a class apart last night.... and the Academy young men look properly exciting.  It's just whether they have the physical presence quite yet to mix it with some of the League's giants. Gary H certainly has some interesting and exciting options. MOtM for me was Fas.  ... outstanding everywhere on the pitch.

I fancy myself as an optimist in general but having watched last night I will need medication to keep me calm.

Thought we were excellent across the pitch. Great passing football.  Long and short passes and nice interchange but also players who run at defences.  We have a come a long way from the long ball days and have a young and exciting team with lots of depth.  All of this is without our new premium Centre half too so will be good to see how he adds to things - hopefully sooner rather than later.

We beat Melksham one year ago on penalties and looked a bit lost - if we play anything close to last night then it will be a tough game for them.

19/7/2023 1:54 PM  #42

Yes it was a good encouraging performance but before we all get too carried away let's remember the Supermarine side had a number of trialists...

19/7/2023 7:05 PM  #43

Highlights of last night's game available on supermarine TV.

21/7/2023 7:41 PM  #44

Careful what you post on here, seems we have a few spies on here from down the A4 who seem a little obsessed with us. Bless

PHILB1973# wrote:
Having taken a quick gander on the Chippenham site they seem extremely excited by their pre season form however I'm more with Powell on this one and will wait patiently for the season to start before making any rash judgements.

yep apparently they beat Swindon submarines 4-0 and now they are going to win the league 😔

11/8/2023 9:18 PM  #45

Ed Williams signs for Swindon Supermarine 🤯🤯

12/8/2023 11:58 AM  #46

Seems to be a bit of a wanderer this guy. Not sure if we tried to re-sign him in the close season, but I think we have done will in signing Tyreke Johnson, who looked impressive last Saturday.

Board footera