BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25/7/2023 11:32 PM  #1

Basingstoke Town

Underwhelming night on most aspects, a defeat, potentially long term injury for a key player and the team never really going into full stride. TOE didn't look comfortable when leaving pitch and with Spokes and Haines both also injured it seems, pre-season hasn't been too kind leading into opening day. The atmosphere summed up the whole game, was very quiet, the singers behind the goal seemed to be there but I don't think I heard them sing a single song tonight at home which was really disappointing, considering at some of away friendlies they have been vocal. Good to see that they were not moved on by the stewards tonight though in the second half, so maybe some common sense has prevailed. Get behind the team lads in your little corner both halves this season, they need your support going forward, your singing will be a great encouragement to Gary and the team.

Hopefully the Melksham game on Saturday with the Family Fun Day, will be a more positive day all around for the club and get us in the spirit for Aveley, been some encouraging signs in the friendlies but think tonight was a blip, hopefully a small one though and we can put a few past Melksham. 

26/7/2023 12:33 AM  #2

Re: Basingstoke Town

Not as good as we have been in recent games but still had our chances second half and their keeper made one fantastic save from McClure.

Referee was absolutely useless and I presume we appoint them for friendly fixtures?  If we ever book him again we only have ourselves to blame. The goal was one of the most obvious hand balls you will ever ever see. Unfortunately I don’t think it’ll be the last referee we moan about this season but more painful when you pick them yourself.

Injury to Owen Evans was concerning. Added to the quiet atmosphere in the ground with lots worried about him.

26/7/2023 9:06 AM  #3

Can't argue with the above comments.  We were ragged at times and lacked intensity... which was understandable after a flurry of fixtures and the constant rotation of players.  Basingstoke were well worth their win and got through our back line more times than they should have.  One question appears to have been answered or nearly answered; the young Triallist Centre Back, Nat Williams,  might already be on the books.  20 years old and recent  experience at Weston-S-Mare.  Looks as though he and A A-H could be our CBs with Luke H reversting to defensive midfield... or they'll rotate when need arises. With Pablo, this gives us potentially good Central Defender cover for the season. Both A A-H and Nat Williams look comfortable on the ball but once again there were one or two dangerous lapses that quickened the heart rate. Dreadful to see TO-E having to leave the ground on crutches. It may be uncharitable, but it did seem to be a self-inflicted injury to some extent.. a..wildish lunge after losing the ball. Unfair to assess Freddie Grant as he was aked to be a CB which really didn't suit his size or frame.
I'm sure we'll up our intensity in the Aveley game.  You can probably pencil in 8 starting names for that... depending on injury.  The rest are locked firmly in Gary & Matt's notebooks.

Final note: what a sad end to Will Richards' time with us... if it is indeed the end ??  He has clearly and understandably put  a successful  career ahead of football.  It would have been nice to have had a more satisfctory closure. to a long ( 7 years?) and distinguished career at CTFC.

26/7/2023 9:35 AM  #4

Unfortunate for Owen-Evans but it came from a silly tackle that came out of frustration.

Other than that I was relatively pleased with the run out, yes we didn't win but it was pre-season, it was a good run out and valuable minutes in the tank for the boys.

Lots of rotation options this season which is exactly what we need. A couple/a few players for every position with a few versatile players too, all good.

26/7/2023 12:12 PM  #5

Sorry guys but I was so underwhelmed with our performance last night that I thought I was watching another team. No threat up front, midfield missing, and Basingstoke looked more than comfortable against us. This tippy tappy possession type football is not the CTFC style in my opinion. Sorry to be a grumpy old git, but it really a poor show.

26/7/2023 1:27 PM  #6

toyboy wrote:

Sorry guys but I was so underwhelmed with our performance last night that I thought I was watching another team. No threat up front, midfield missing, and Basingstoke looked more than comfortable against us. This tippy tappy possession type football is not the CTFC style in my opinion. Sorry to be a grumpy old git, but it really a poor show.

I think you need to find another team to watch then Toyboy as its been passing football for the last 7 months.

26/7/2023 1:59 PM  #7

With respect Funny old game, from January this year Horgs ditched the ‘tippy tappy’ approach in favour of the more direct/attaching approach, and look where we finished in the league. That change coincided with Joe Parker finding his form. I would like to see that style again.

26/7/2023 2:08 PM  #8

toyboy wrote:

With respect Funny old game, from January this year Horgs ditched the ‘tippy tappy’ approach in favour of the more direct/attaching approach, and look where we finished in the league. That change coincided with Joe Parker finding his form. I would like to see that style again.

Not for me. The only things that changed was that we scored goals in the second half of the season as we had better players.  What we were playing was very similar.

It’s only called tippy tappy when we don’t win and I’d say from supporters from a certain era.  That’s football, however away to SSM we played exactly the same way but scored 4. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

26/7/2023 8:30 PM  #9

I don't think we should read too much into pre-season games, either the style of play or the results. The starting team on day one is clearly going to be very different from the end of last season. We will wait and see...

26/7/2023 10:20 PM  #10

I thought we were ok in patches but it’s all about match fitness at this stage.  Injuries are a concern though, no Haines (x-ray today I’m told), Spokes (no idea) and Owen- Evans (can’t see him being fit anytime soon).
McClure looks sharp though - we need at least 30 games out of him - and the new centre half from Hereford (name escapes me) had a very confident 45 minute shift.  Results are immaterial pre-season, no-one remembers them when the real action begins.  When the flag drops, the bull**** stops.

Board footera