BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/4/2022 10:57 AM  #31

Re: Cook

The timing may  turn out to be good. Our remaining games will give the chance for any new manager to run there eye over the existing squad  allowing them to make decisions on who they want to keep for next season

10/4/2022 11:14 AM  #32

hobgoblin wrote:

To me this was not unexpected, just the timing a bit strange as I thought it would happen during the closed season. Cook must have been an expensive package with all his hangers on, I have said this previously on this forum. After reading a post on Facebook by the Dover Chairman I did a few sums prior to yesterday's match and worked out that we earn about £100,000 a season from gate recites and according to the Dover chairman it costs between 4 and 5 hundred to run a team in this league, so the other three hundred must be coming from the pockets of the chairman and board which aren't bottomless. As a club to survive in this league we must budget carefully and have realistic expectations, yes we would all like to get in the playoff's but promotion would kill this club as the travel costs and lack of support would surely be too much. I expect Cook is more ambitious and would love to work at a higher level so had different expectations than the Board. Good luck Mike in the future, you did a good job with what you had to work with. My money is on Horgan to get the job . By the way stone wall penalty was stood no more than 15 ft away and he was pulled down. Ref had a shocker their 18 was holding and bullying Mo all the time and nothing was done.

Not far off, the club has said that it costs 7k a week to run (dependant on playing budget)
So over a 40 week season around 300-400k.
But the Chairman is not putting in that sort money. The bar must make up large portion of that shortfall.
We need bigger gates to progress, hence my previous comment on marketing, promoting the club etc..
Despite  what some blue tinted brigade might say we need to improve in this area.
Also ask for help…ball boys…do we have any?

Last edited by Wellard (10/4/2022 8:45 PM)

10/4/2022 12:37 PM  #33

frank wrote:

The timing may turn out to be good. Our remaining games will give the chance for any new manager to run there eye over the existing squad allowing them to make decisions on who they want to keep for next season

My fear is the likes of Joe Hanks, Alex Bray, Luke Russe and others will follow Mike meaning it'll be more a case of who wants to stay than who we want to keep.

10/4/2022 2:08 PM  #34

I agree with a previous poster - if we by some miracle got promoted, it would kill us.  If players go with Cook ultimately (perhaps he fancies the Bath job, surely it’s only a matter of time before a vacancy comes up there 😁) then good luck to them.  Whoever gets the job (and I’m sure there’ll already have been some applicants even at this early stage), they’ll have their own contacts and will come into the job knowing exactly what’s on offer.  A manager and a trusted assistant is all we need, not a bench full of hangers on.  

10/4/2022 2:32 PM  #35

Agree, we have so many hangers on, obviously Mike wanted them all in his corner. If the manager goes his loyal staff go in my book. Clean slate for pre season. I can remember Neil and Tony Godwin taking the team at Redditch one night so anything is possible. 

10/4/2022 2:35 PM  #36

All the best to Mike, obviously has his reasons but, in my opinion it’s good that this has been cleared up now rather than become a messier situation closer to next season.

Of course a lot of these players are his players, but if we can get a manager in soon to work with them, cast their eye over them and convince them to be a part of a new project, it would be beneficial.

They seem a tight-knit group and it seems a good dressing room, so they might be keen to hang around without Cook.

Although we’re in a play-off fight, we could also use these matches as an early pre-season to build a core for 2022/23.

10/4/2022 2:46 PM  #37

Dispatches from a Covid sick-bed ( No,he  did not attend the game on Saturday).

His Lordship was saddened to hear of the departure of Le Chef.  When we were good under him, we were very good.  An exceptionally, and dispiritingly, poor September and October  might have cost us more than just  points, in potentially losing us 80-100 regular attenders, which in turn has led to inevitable belt tightening. We'll never know the truth behind what's gone on -  as the Club, not being a public entity, is obviously not required to share with us any of its financial or decision-making processes.  We can only surmise....
His Lordship would guess ( probably incorrectly) that MC will be moving on to a bigger club, one who can more readily afford the team he brings with him.  There are a number of NLS clubs who could do that.  Mike Cook took over a team in relative turmoil at the end of Mark C's tenure and made them into a solid mid-table side with marginal play-off aspirations. That's going to look good on his CV given the budgetary constraints he's had to work under. The truth is, that we probably cannot afford a 3 man management structure  at the moment.  We must also recognise that this model is what some will feel is required nowadays for any Club with aspirations. Manager and Coach and Stats/metrics/conditiong experts really are not "hangers on," a rather demeaning term;  in fact nowadays , they're not  even regarded as  luxuries in football Clubs at all, even at our level.  EFL clubs will have data managers, player welfare experts, psycholgists etc as standard. We probably have to face up to this.

As to trying to arrest the hemmhoraging of support, His Lordship can only agree fully with young Simon "The Voice" in his plea for those with a marketing idea or a bit of energy - or both - to move off their keyboards and offer up those same energies  in active support.  His Lordship and The Bearded |Wonder are more than happy to. Perhaps an informal, end-of-season or close season get-together where anyone with something to contribute, however small, meets up with Simon.  We introduce ourselves, hear from Simon what the Club does currently, what is successful, what has failed.. and then offer up our own suggestions so as to arrive, hopefully,  at  a modest and realistic "Fans' Plan"  ( correct apostrophe BTW for anyonone marking this.. naming no names)  that can be translated into simple practical action. At the very least, we'd come away from it with a much better understanding of the Club's strategy and tactics.... which would, in turn, better inform  our discussions/interactions on the Forum.

Her Ladyship, meanwhile, is currently hacking through mangrove swamp on the Java coastline in search or rare insects.  Her texted response to MC news:" I'll miss him carrying his school-bag with the dog-chewed homework in it".  Can anyone enlighten me? No Covid sympathy, though.

10/4/2022 4:30 PM  #38

HisLordship wrote:

Dispatches from a Covid sick-bed ( No,he  did not attend the game on Saturday).
As to trying to arrest the hemmhoraging of support, His Lordship can only agree fully with young Simon "The Voice" in his plea for those with a marketing idea or a bit of energy - or both - to move off their keyboards and offer up those same energies  in active support.  His Lordship and The Bearded |Wonder are more than happy to. Perhaps an informal, end-of-season or close season get-together where anyone with something to contribute, however small, meets up with Simon.  We introduce ourselves, hear from Simon what the Club does currently, what is successful, what has failed.. and then offer up our own suggestions so as to arrive, hopefully,  at  a modest and realistic "Fans' Plan"  ( correct apostrophe BTW for anyonone marking this.. naming no names)  that can be translated into simple practical action. At the very least, we'd come away from it with a much better understanding of the Club's strategy and tactics.... which would, in turn, better inform  our discussions/interactions on the Forum.

I hate seeing the widening gaps in between spectators around the ground. An informal meeting with Simon is an excellent idea by his Lordship. Hopefully we can make this happen before everyone disappears over summer, otherwise come the new season we'll be no further forward.

10/4/2022 8:42 PM  #39

Mike Cook is well gone and will not be missed. Cannot understand why he was appointed, as he had no interest at all in Chippenham at all.
He seemed a total narcissist, totally lacking charisma, & never really seen him engaging with the fans off his own back.He is the one reason that the 200+ fans are missing from Hardenhuish Park.
Please mister chairman, let the brakes off, give someone who knows the town and proper football a chance, this hyena has not worked & was certainly expensive. Hopefully now more punters, including me, will be back through the gates & shout the team onward & upwards.

10/4/2022 9:51 PM  #40

Not sure what to make of all of this.
What we have to remember is that we are playing at the highest level of non-league football.  I say that as the level above is basically an extension of the football league. Even at NLS level we are playing against several versions of full-time clubs so just being competitive is an achievement. 
Doubt he will end up at Bath as despite league position their manager is still well regarded as gates are high and he has made a fair amount of money for them  through player transfers.

Board footera