BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02/9/2021 7:43 AM  #1

Away Travel

I’ve seen this mentioned on social media. But why doesn’t the club do away travel ?.Generally there is at least 10-20 at away matches, perfect for a mini bus. If it started , there might be more interest as well. Not everyone can drive and train tickets are extortionate.

02/9/2021 2:05 PM  #2

Re: Away Travel

I believe they generally stopped running 10 years or so ago as they just couldn't get the numbers sufficient and continually ran at a loss.

This is where something like a supporters trust would be useful nowadays (common at most other clubs this level and above), if the club aren't able to put on the transport, the trust could.

I know that a minibus has been put on by a group of supporters for some matches.

02/9/2021 2:44 PM  #3

I like a few others have travelled on the team bus on the odd occasion and I know the club appreciate it as it helps with the cost, normally spare seats available. 

02/9/2021 3:35 PM  #4

We ran coaches to Whyteleaf FC in 2019 for the F.A Cup 4th round tie. The support in large numbers is definitely there for the one-off games, but it's never quite the same for ordinary league matches, which is a shame. This team certainly deserves our support away from home. All credit goes to those who do travel, but there should be more making the trip, finances permitting. 

02/9/2021 3:47 PM  #5

A drum many have been beating for years but the salient fact is the demand just isn't high enough to cover the cost. The last time we attempting to run a Supporters Coach to my knowledge is Dulwich away in the FA Trophy in the 2019 season. A huge amount of effort went into attaining around 35 committed travellers, much of this at the expense of the organiser to pull friends and acquaintances from their usual mode of transport and take advantage of the coach and in some cases even taking money from people who simply wanted to contribute to the cost of travel but had no intention of making the fixture. The fact however is even with these effforts, we were some 20-25 people short of covering cost and to avoid disappointment for those looking ahead to a game away, John Applegate covered the cost out of his own pocket! 

Dulwich away again this season, Jonny Garraway ran the Academy Minibus down to Dulwich with some supporters present and I am told it was a complete success. However, in order for these things to become constant, it requires our continued support and sadly as with a lot of great ideas, the first time is well supported, the next keeps a little traction but it fizzles out until once again the cost is left being covered by people who simply cannot keep shouldering the responsibility! I would love to see more at away games, it's such a unique atmosphere among CTFC fans as many can attribute too! Some great memories already on the road in this, the very early stages and many more to come! I hope someone can run with this idea, I will help and support in any way I can! 

02/9/2021 4:21 PM  #6

The only reason I asked was because I’ve seen somebody asking on social media more than once about it. I thought maybe there was more out there in the same boat. I drive to games , but I would definitely use a mini bus/coach. It would be great even if for just a few games a season, if the academy bus was free to be used that maybe something could be done for these fans that can’t drive or afford the train.

03/9/2021 10:53 PM  #7

I think a main issue they had when they last ran a coach was people pulling out at the last minute!

03/9/2021 11:50 PM  #8

I think if fans show an interest at the turnstiles as they go in I’m sure the club would do something about it.  As supporters I am sure the club would listen  Let’s see what happens.

Board footera