BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25/11/2020 2:42 PM  #1

Results from around the League

An interesting night last night with 3 games played in the NLS and at close of play. Chippenham Town are in 10th place staring those playoffs directly in the face as we move towards a Saturday clash against Concord Rangers at the TS Stadium. 

Starting just down the road, Bath City went off like a steam train going 1-0 inside 2 minutes through Donovan Wilson. However, Dulwich found their resolve and fired 4 goals back in response to leave City manager Jerry Gill clutching his head in disbelief at another weak and limp Bath City performance. With only 3 points coming against Billericay in game week 2, this leaves City defeated in their last 5 league outings and routed to the bottom of the NLS table (I hope all Chippenham fans can sympathize with our rivals, as they did us when we were in a relegation battle) Just kidding, laugh away it's really funny. 

Elsewhere Dorking finished the game in familiar fashion with another win and another red card as they beat Oxford City 3-2 at home to move top of the table. Another two goals from in form striker, ex Havant & Waterlooville's Jason Prior taking his tally this season to an incredible 11 goals in 9 games for the league leaders. Oxford will be left berating the loss of a 1-0 half time lead as they slip to 13th and now 6 points off the playoffs after a very bright start. 

In the battle of the botttom, Braintree claimed a massive 2-0 win over 11th placed Tonbridge with ex striker Tom Derry returning to Longmead to haunt the Angels putting the game out of reach for the Kent club and moving Braintree up to 19th after 2 wins from 2 under new management. The team that were pointless before hand are flexing their muscles a bit making almost a whole teams worth of changes from the side that lost the last game under the previous regime and it is really starting to show for the Iron as the seek to move away from the drop zone. 

The league is finely poised to move into what should be (Covid allowing) a very busy Christmas period for all. Last game in November it would seem for us this weekend and I am hoping that a resurgent Chippenham will be able to get revenge on Concord for a rather fortunate victory against us in the FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round and see us add another 3 points to our tally. This could see us climb as high as 8th with results permitting Havant not due to play again and Hampton facing Billericay. So let's hope this goes our way and more importantly. Let's hope this is the last time we have to watch from afar with the news the football supporters should be in theory allowed to return to stadiums after the current lockdown has reached it's conclusion. Of course this will be subject to Chippenham's "Tier Restrictions" and the club will update in time but I for one think it will be great to see the TS Stadium with a few hundred Chippenham supporters once again and to those stayaways, hopefully this has been a stark reminder of how much we miss football and the club needs us to thrive. A bumper crowd for our last game against Wealdstone, I hope we hit our capacity allowed for our next! COYMB 

25/11/2020 4:11 PM  #2

Re: Results from around the League

I’m not sure anyone is in a relegation battle after less than ten games, I expect Bath to come good and I hope they stick with Gill and Rollo but fans and Chairmen do have very short memories. The league appears very open, expect a top five of Maidstone Ebbsfleet Dartford Dorking and Havant of the rest we like many have a big chance. 

25/11/2020 4:32 PM  #3

Oh, I am sure that Bath wouldn't be so short sighted to remove Gill at this moment in time. It was only a matter of months ago he was leading them to a playoff, had Tom Smith scooping player of the year for the league and everything looking rosy in the garden. With the vacant Gloucester job, a lot of managers at this level will be looking at that going "Full time club, good budget, great pedigree and top of the division" will Gill be interested and if so, what chances would he have? We know he was keen on the Weymouth job before it went to Brian Stock and with Jerry under a little pressure for the first time in his Bath career would now be as good a time as any? 

I personally think that although we cannot call this a relegation battle yet, it is very easy to fall behind and get in that habit of not picking up points. 0 in their last 5 I don't think we managed that all of last year and we were flirting with the bottom of the league right until the new year when in reality, the easier games came and we put together a nice little run of form of our own. But that's the thing with form, had we started like we ended the season, most would have had us pipping Wealdstone and the whole time Bath are losing, their supporters, directors and players will feel like they are in that same battle as we faced last year. 

Agree with your top 5 although I have always said I expect it to be either Dartford or Havant and the other spaces are well up for grabs so here is hoping that we can make our own little bid to be a part of proceedings. A long way off I am sure and personally whether we are ready for that is another chat but it would be nice to see us in the mix, I feel this squad at the moment is capable and if it stays fit and stays together, sky really is the limit.

25/11/2020 7:08 PM  #4

If they allow fans back, our first home game (as it stands) will be Boxing Day against Bath....could a good time to play them.

Board footera