BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17/1/2020 12:23 PM  #1

Derek Fowlds

It is with a heavy heart and great sadness to let you all know our friend and regular visitor to Chippenham Town FC, Derek Fowlds has passed away aged 82 following a battle with pneumonia. Derek was one of the most lovely and down to earth men you could ever care to meet. I just remember being in complete awe of the man after years of being scared to death of his aggressive character on the TV show Heartbeat where I recognised Derek from. For many others lots of different projects in his career would have led them to have different memories of the man behind the screen however, one thing is for sure, at football Derek was just like everyone else, a keen supporter and a passionate member of the Blue Army. Derek could often be found in the stands with Neil and John and the rest of the board and was never shy to give an opinion on the game to any passing supporter that stopped to speak with him. Rest In Peace Derek, you truly were one of the loveliest gents around the place and I am sure that everyone will join the club in wishing your family all their most sincere condolences at this very sad time  

RIP Derek 

17/1/2020 12:39 PM  #2

Re: Derek Fowlds

Indeed this is extremely sad news - my wife is going to be devastated, as she always made a fuss of Derek when he attended the VIP Lounge for lunch. As you rightly say Simon, one of the most loveliest people you could wish to meet. He always had time for everyone, and loved our Club passionately. The world has lost a great actor and one of life's true gentleman. Rest in Peace old friend. 

17/1/2020 12:52 PM  #3

Condolences to all his family and friends.

Those of a certain age are more likely to remember "Mr. Derek" as sidekick to Basil Brush way before Heartbeat

17/1/2020 1:15 PM  #4

Will be sadly missed Derek, always enjoyed your company. 

17/1/2020 5:16 PM  #5

Sad news, never would have thought having loved him as a kid and his sidekick the Fox I would get to have dinner with him and a few others many years later, and he didnt disappoint. An entertaining fellow and a gent. God bless you sir.

Want a bare knuckle fight? I'll knock you out you Cnut.

17/1/2020 5:28 PM  #6

Most definitely one of our own. As Oscar in Heartbeat he was virtually unrecognisable from the much younger Mr Derek and Bernard in Yes Minister, which was a testament to his acting versatility. A very sad loss.

17/1/2020 6:54 PM  #7

A very good read here, from the BBC website.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51147182

Board footera