BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03/1/2020 1:23 PM  #1

Tonbridge (Away)

Well, after an absolute festive period that saw Chippenham take only 3 points from a possible 12. Tonbridge Angels away arguably just became one of the most important games in our season as we reach the halfway point (near enough). The Angels are down there with us and come into the game 2 points below us in 21st place and currently occupy the 2nd relegation spot. 

Strange Christmas period for me with us beating Chelmsford almost unexpectedly but in a completely dominant home performance which gave us a good deal of confidence heading to high flying rivals Bath City on Boxing Day. We again bossed the early exchanges going 1-0 to the good via a George Rigg wonder goal and then again through Tom Owen Evans after Brunt had equalised for City. A good save from Clarke before the half denied it being 3-1 at half time and I think that would have been it personally. The sending off of Tyler early in the second half did us no favours and eventually the pressure told against a very good Bath side. Dorking were next, came into the game in 3rd and again it would seem the rub of the green wasn't with us, controlled the game for large parts and a Dorking header from Jason Prior via the deflection of Rhys Tyler was the opener, their second a blatant handball that was missed by all officials again and that really put the game to bed. New Years Day saw the return of Bath City to Chippenham and the story was much the same. Early dominance, many good chances created and could have been 4-0 up before Zebroski scored our first, a momentary lapse of concentration at the back saw us go in 1-1 and from then on you could kind of only see one winner, very strong and fit side and we were on the back foot for the majority of the second half. Teams like Bath exist in this league sadly, hurts more because they are the "local rivals" but ultimately, anything off teams like that is a bonus throughout the season for clubs such as ours, in previous years we have had good results against the so called "bigger teams" and now in the second half of the season it looks like we made need to do so again.  

Tonbridge have already introduced themselves to us this season, a home game in which Chippenham recorded a rare win whilst in the midst of our 10 game league and cup unbeaten run. The game finished 2-1 to the bluebirds with goals from Tariq Ossai and Chris Zebroski putting Chippenham in a commanding and deserved lead before a moment of madness from Will Puddy saw him lash out at the opposition striker and give away a penalty and receive a red card making the last 10 minutes very uncomfortable without ever looking like it was going to be that way beforehand. 

Since then, fortunes have been mixed for the newly promoted side from Kent, struggling for results the same as ourselves but recently picking their form up somewhat to record draws against Maidstone, Hemel and Slough and even a win against Billericay but ultimately have only taken 13 points from the 14 games since playing us back in early September, we haven't fared much better securing 11 from 12 in the League but also having additional rounds in the FA Cup culminating in that wonderful tie against Northampton in the First Round Proper. 

This is your stonewall 6 pointer if ever there has been one. A win for Chippenham and with results going our way could see us rise as high 16th in the League and only 8 points off the final playoff spot (such is this league and how close it is), defeat with results going against us could see us swap places with our hosts and join Hungerford in the relegation zone with a win from the Crusaders would leave us only 3 points away from being bottom of the National League South! So make no mistake, a massive, massive game for Chippenham, hope to see as many of you there as possible for support and let's rally round our troops and show them how much we are behind the cause. 

#COYMB

04/1/2020 5:48 PM  #2

Re: Tonbridge (Away)

Currently 3-2 down, both teams down to 10 men.
1 down after first minute
Goals from Chambers and Owen Evans
Ryan case second yellow

04/1/2020 6:06 PM  #3

Fully in the dog fight.

04/1/2020 6:11 PM  #4

In a tough spot to be honest. I love Collier as much as the next guy but something isn’t working. Hard to criticise too much given what we have achieved in the past and our budget but really, the form speaks for itself. Not good enough.

04/1/2020 6:19 PM  #5

Collier & the coaching team cannot be blamed for today, that was our strongest XI today, against what was a poor Tonbridge side. A few of the players need to look at themselves and contribute more. Nothing going forward, passing side to side, if we can’t beat a Tonbridge side who didn’t offer much, i struggle to see where our next win is coming from.  I have full faith in Mark to get us out of this situation, but something on the pitch NEEDS to change - no discipline, no ideas and laziness, it’s gunna end up killing us more than it is already...

04/1/2020 6:34 PM  #6

Personally don’t think it’s all doom and gloom, being realistic we are probably never going to get out of this tough division and at the start of the season you would take a fantastic FA cup run and finish just above the relegation zone. We are not being outplayed we are competing in games. Our concern however is the front 3 has not clicked and that’s been a problem all season with goals being hard to come by. Win 2 or 3 games and you can be sat mid table

04/1/2020 6:48 PM  #7

Difficult one this, can’t really comment on today’s game as wasn’t there, but this scoreline and the ones against Bath (ignoring Dorking) suggest that the team are battling (scoring) and fighting for the cause.
Collier has been fantastic for us but everything comes to an end, is he unable to motivate the players? Was not impressed with the summer signings at all, is that all down to money? Are they just not good enough? If that’s the case, should  the Chairman be providing extra funds to get some more quality in on loan or ship a few out to free up funds for loans I.e. Hopper, Pratt
You can blame the players but unfortunately you can’t sack them.
We all keep reading on here ‘in Collier we trust’ ‘he’ll get us out of it’ ‘no point changing the management now’ but at what point do you act, when we are rock bottom and 3,6 or 9 points away from safety?
Tough decisions ahead for the board, me thinks.
On to Tuesday

Last edited by Wellard (04/1/2020 8:48 PM)

04/1/2020 6:51 PM  #8

On a sidenote - nice little following from us today, considering everything. Fairplay all👏🏻

04/1/2020 7:19 PM  #9

Am just going to copy and paste what I put on twitter:

=15pxNobody is going to pretend the result today isn't disappointing but there are still a hell of a lot of points to play for and the only way through is for everyone to stick together. Supporting a winning team is easy true fans support when the going gets tough.

=15pxOn to Hemel on Tuesday home form could well be crucial from now on in. The naive me thinks the good people of Chippenham will recognise this is the best standard of football ever seen in the town and will turn out in numbers for the rest of the season to get behind the team. I really hope this happens.

04/1/2020 8:17 PM  #10

Very much in a relegation battle after today.

Gutted I can't be there vs Hemel.

Board footera