BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03/12/2019 3:56 PM  #1

Highworth (Wiltshire Cup)

So, with the recent run of form we have been on and arguably our toughest game in the League only a few days away, this is an ideal opportunity to get some game time for those on the fringes, bring some of the academy boys in for a taste in the First Team. It is a good opportunity to get some rest for the lads that have had a bit of a tough run of late despite working very hard and will prove a good test for the young Chippenham side that I am sure we are going to see. 

I don't think anyone is overall particularly fussed about our presence in this competition and although we never want to lose games of football nor places in competitions, the Wiltshire Cup has always been a chance for us to rest some players and show a few of the youngsters off to the paying public that may not have seen an academy game. 

Of course we have some good links with Highworth with our standout loan signing of the year, Luke Haines and his family. Some familiar faces at the club include Ross Adams, a fantastic player for Chippenham Town back in the day and for a lot of people one of the better players we have had in our time watching the club. Departing CTFC for the pull of the higher league earlier in the decade, Ross is a big threat in the air and comfortable in possession. Getting on a touch now of course, but still keeps himself very fit and able and should he feature will no doubt prove a stern test for our attacking options. Speaking of attacking options Highworth have a couple of familiar attackers to the Chippenham faithful, Ashley Edenborough who spent a bit of time with Chippenham, not really cutting the mustard for us and departing for the familiarity of Swindon Supermarine and Ashan Holgate, a strange player that on his day had the capability of being a different class for Chippenham but more often than not, never displayed his A game that gave him such a fierce reputation. Highworth also boast Wayne Turk, a vastly experienced CDM that spent many years as the pin up boy of Salisbury City alongside Matt Tubbs in our battles with them and has league pedigree with Newport County and FGR. 

As always, lets get behind the lads, for many of them this is going to be new territory stepping onto the pitch as part of the first team, these lads are the future of the club and for many of them to be involved this early is an honour, let's show them why this club is what it is. Show them the good side of our support and hopefully the young guns can fire us into the next round of the Wiltshire Cup!! 

03/12/2019 9:36 PM  #2

Re: Highworth (Wiltshire Cup)

Surely with said form and so many calling for changes to the squad this is an ideal chance to look at players on the fringe. Form doesn’t come into cup football, it’s a one game shootout against a team from the lower leagues in a competition that barely carries relevance.

But this I guess will be the managers choice, personally I would be resting the first team players, looking at options and tooling up for what is important. The league.

Of course the doom and gloom brigade will be sharpening their knives at the prospect of a young Chippenham team going out to an experienced Highworth but personally I could give or take the Wiltshire Cup, it’s a friendly mate

04/12/2019 9:38 PM  #3

5 young 'uns in the team according to twitter - other than that very quiet on the @chiptownfc and @highworthtownfc feeds, so not much going on in the game? Appears to be 0-0 approaching HT

05/12/2019 12:10 AM  #4

Full time, 1-0 to Chippenham, George Rigg.

05/12/2019 10:27 AM  #5

1-0, sounded from the reports from a couple of friends in attendance like a thoroughly professional job on a plucky team from a few leagues below. 5 of the U17's started the game last night so big credit has to go to them for adapting and performing well in a first team game, even one as low profile as the Wiltshire Cup, I am sure they would have done their cases no harm moving forward as we seek to introduce these younger players into the First Team fold when ready. Good to see Riggy grab a goal and see players pick up vital minutes ahead of Saturdays game against the big boys! Roll on Havant for a bit of a free hit and let's hope we can get a little luck and take something from the game, sure has evaded us in recent weeks. 

05/12/2019 11:45 AM  #6

I couldn't believe how frosty the pitch was. The players might say otherwise with the benefit of having actually played on it, but it looked dangerous to me. Some of our senior players definitely weren't taking any chances. If we've come through the game without any injuries and having avoided in freezing temperatures the misery of extra-time and penalties, then it's definitely a case of mission accomplished. Oh and a very good showing too for the Blue Army with lots of fans looking very cosy in their CTFC hats and scarves. We might not have drunk the bar dry, but by half-time we'd helped demolish all of the hot food!

05/12/2019 11:58 AM  #7

Well done supporters, I didn’t attend but mission accomplished, very young side I’m reliably informed, good to see these boys coming through the system and being trusted by Mark and Gary.

05/12/2019 2:49 PM  #8

It's alright DB I am sure we can more than make up for it at Havant on Saturday ;) and keep the same dent in the hot food lol, Havant actually do a really nice Chips and Curry Sauce!! Burgers are a bit of a heap though. 

Board footera