BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06/9/2019 9:56 AM  #1

Tonbridge Angels (Home) & England!!

Here we are, almost another Saturday upon us and this weekend the visitors to Hardenhuish Park are Kent based Tonbridge Angels F.C. Our opponents won their place in the National League South for this season via the Southern Premier League - Super Playoff Final beating Metropolitan Police 3-2 in the final to seal promotion. 

They come into the game sitting 18th in the league and two points behind ourselves after picking up 4 points from the last 2 games to take them off the foot of the table. Tonbridge appear to play quite a similar system to ourselves with 3 in the midfield and two players playing off one central striker. Joe Turner seems to be their striker of choice and has bagged 3 goals this term with Ade Yussef grabbing a couple as well, they may well be some names to look out for. 

We will be well prepared for this one with the lads training well last night and in buoyant spirits. Every chance we step out on to the pitch is a chance to turn around this little mini slump we are in. Little decisions and rubs of the green haven't quite been going for us in recent weeks, but fortune favours the bold as they say and I am sure we will come out Saturday with every intent on bagging the 3 points and starting our march up the table. 

We should have Pars for this one, his ban for a dubious red card shouldn't have taken affect yet so I would expect to see him feature. Speaking to Rhys Tyler on Tuesday and he is hopefully going to be back soon but did state that Saturday might be optimistic (just how I like it) and Will Richards of course is still nursing a broken arm so a good compliment of the squad for the gaffer to pick from and strong options on the bench as well. 

Hope to see as many there as possible for this one, perfect chance to rally as a club and make this the launching point for our change in fortune and hopefully our progression up the league. Looking forward to seeing you all for a pint and a catch up in the Blues Bar beforehand, speaking of which. 

After Chippenham (hopefully) wipe away the previous weeks misfortune with a victory. Up in the Blues Bar, 5pm kick off England take on that absolutely powerhouse Bulgaria in the Euro Qualifiers. This of course may hold a little extra flavour for fans of Chippenham with former player Tyrone Mings potentially in line to make his full England debut and of course for a 3rd time grace the hallowed turf at Wembley 

So come and join Pete, Tina and the gang for a few beverages and watch a double header of football at Hardenhuish Park and as always.. No one drink the fruity ciders, they are mine 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RBTaopG5Ug - Tyrone Mings Full England Press Conference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHeKzWNxQE&t=62s - Mark's Reaction to the defeat at Dorking

Last edited by TheVoice (06/9/2019 10:12 AM)

07/9/2019 12:29 PM  #2

Re: Tonbridge Angels (Home) & England!!

Very much looking forward to the game later. This is an opportunity to address some of the well documented early season issues, and I think we will given a reasonable amount of luck for once. I don't think we have ever played Tonbridge before. It would be good to see a better attendance today, below 500 is disappointing and shouldn't happen!
I'm going for 2-1 Chippenham and 573

08/9/2019 4:28 AM  #3

Wasn't Jared's brother Conor with us in pre season? Or maybe Will Henry who's now 3rd choice at Swindon.

08/9/2019 10:35 AM  #4

Very poor first half, good defence and attack, but we are missing a creative midfielder. The red mist got to Puddy, and in the first half he was lucky the officials did not see him kick out at one of their players, very unlike Pudds to get riled.  3 points very much needed.  Was McDonald carrying a knock as he was not in squad.

08/9/2019 12:41 PM  #5

Possibly the worse 40 minutes football I have seen at Chippenham in a long time but our first goal changed all that. Second half a lot better and a well deserved second goal, but what the hell happened to Puddy, don't footballers have a brain ? Everyone knows that anything like that gets a straight red and his actions could have cost us the result. Talk about hero to zero, I bet the air was blue when Mark got to speak to him. As for a temporary replacement Connor Thompson is on the books as goal keeping coach ( he played preseason at Melksham) and although his brother is without a club could we afford him ?

08/9/2019 6:05 PM  #6

"I'm going for 2-1 Chippenham and 573"
So I was 5 out on the attendance. I was robbed as 5 Tonbridge supporters set out but their car broke down! 

As for the game I agree the first half was very poor, two teams lacking quality and confidence. Scoring just before half time was great and just what we needed. Second half obviously much better from us but I would think Tonbridge will do well to stay up.

Will Puddy could have been sent off very early in the first half (referee presumably saw nothing)and he seemed incensed by their no.9, Thereafter the Tonbridge fans gave him a very hard time and no great surprise when he finally lost it, creating that nerve-wracking finish. A very big three points in the context of our season so far.

On a side note do we enter the FA Cup draw soon?

08/9/2019 11:00 PM  #7

Phew,

For a second I though we were going to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory but ever so proud of the lads for getting over the line and delivering the much needed 3.

All this about the worst first half performance in a while is a tad controversial. Was a very flat game really until Zebroski got down the left and Ossai tucked home but the worst? Na not for me. 1-0 half time and we were doing a job.

Second half we came out positive looking to press the matter a little more and got our reward with a fantastic team goal finished off in style by Big Zeb. The man is starting to look the absolute product up there and as expected, looking like being a real threat to any opposition with his physicality but also his fitness and footwork. He holds that ball so well and with his football brain and ability to create danger as well as land the telling blow, a great signing by Mark and the team.

So we are cruising, 2-0 up, arguably should be more if not for a little help from the old lino just a little too into his 50s to keep up with Jarv coming from behind the man, and a goal ruled out.

Then, well. We can all sit here and have an opinion on Puddys actions. Was it a headbutt? Was it 6 of one? The fact remains a goalkeeper of his professionalism shouldn’t be claiming a ball, heading back to the offender and taking matters into his own hands. Football is a passionate game and sometimes emotions run over but Will has made a silly mistake not only costing us the penalty, cleans sheet and jeopardising the result but also costing us his up until that moment, heroic performances in the sticks.

Will has of course shown remorse for the events that took place and will no doubt return more determined, stronger and with a renewed want to help drive the cause, it’s our job now to support him in doing so. He knows his error and won’t need constant reminding in the ground, on social media or otherwise.

We go to Chelmsford now with 3 in the bag, a little more confidence and the knowledge that no matter what happens.. Luke Haines will take care of it lol.

Massive congrats to Mark, Gary and the team and of course everyone who contributes to the amazing club we are from the board right down to our voluntary staff who allow us to enjoy the day. Let’s rock into Essex and show them exactly what we are about. 4 points off the playoffs lads.. Crisis.... What Crisis??

Join the Optimistic Army ;)

09/9/2019 8:44 AM  #8

We were very poor first half as were Tonbridge.
The miss by Hopper in the first half sums up my opinion of him.
Jarvs miss in the second half sums up his confidence at the moment.
Their No 9 was throwing himself to the floor at every opportunity, a couple of times inside the box. Both were waved away, so if it’s not a penalty then he must have dived and should have gone in the book.
We improved massively 2nd half and went at them. Zebroski is quality and at the moment appears to be our biggest threat going forwards.
Puddy got wound up and had a moment of madness.
We ground out a result which is to be applauded and was much needed but the fact remains we struggled against a poor Tonbridge side.

09/9/2019 9:47 AM  #9

All of those points are valid Wellard although you never did state your opinion of Hopper? I can only assume with it being a missed chance it isn't the highest praise you are willing to give out. Give Hops time, he is a very useful player, holds the ball well, good feet and he will come good. Proven scorer for many years at clubs like Gloucester and Salisbury one of those seasons in a very tricky National League North for Gloucester where his goals were vital to them staying in the league. 

Jarv just can't catch a break at the moment, his outstretched leg around the defender appeared to have been ignored by the linesman and we were unfortunate at that point not to be celebrating a 3-1 win and goals! 

They have picked up a little reputation at the moment for being one of those teams. Anybody who has done their homework on the Angels can see this is how a lot of their goals come from, my advice is don't get used to seeing them in the division. They won't be here at the end of the season.

Puddy has had a flash as we have all mentioned and sometimes it's nice to see that fire in the belly of players, often it can cause detriment. Only Will knows what was going through his head in that moment and hopefully he recovers and bounces back well from the incident and continues to be the excellent goalkeeper we have seen so far this season. 

We have much to look forward too. A trip to Chelmsford on Saturday proves once again there are no easy games in this league. We head into the fixture above them in the league table and if someone had told me 10 games in we would be above Chelmsford, I would have expected us to be 3rd or 4th in the league! We go their now off the back of a win as we seek to put a little run together. 4 points off the playoffs at this moment in time. Dare I say.. Join the Optimistic Army? 

We also find out our opponents for the FA Cup 2nd Qualifying round on the 21st today! Personally I hope it's something nice and local, not too taxing and that we can breeze past into the latter stages of the competition. Last year we were robbed of a dream draw against Portsmouth at home. Time to right some wrong's and get ourselves in the First Round Proper. 

Board footera