BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/2/2014 3:12 PM  #11

Re: O Dear

There's good players out there few been mentioned on here already,some we have signed have been of a very poor standard just gets bleaker and bleaker

12/2/2014 6:53 PM  #12

What players do you think should be signed Shaun and at this stage of the season would they realistically come?

12/2/2014 10:07 PM  #13

With the signing of Hopper and others is Collier playing "safe" and signing those players he knows about as most of them seem to have connections with him from the past, fair enough he knows what they're capable of but results and performances don't seem to be improving. Is the "dream ticket" of Collier and Jones living up to the hope/hype?
Feel most of us go to a game hoping for a win/decent performance, rather than expecting one even against teams at the bottom of the table which is disappointing and a sign of how far the club has gone backwards over the last few years, A change of mentality as much as players is required.

12/2/2014 10:19 PM  #14

I agree Joiner that when I said the result was disappointing it was something of an understatement. I suppose I was hoping that there would be some rational explanation for what was clearly an unacceptable performance. Mark and Tom are obviously building a team based around players they know and have worked with before. Hopefully things will improve, but sadly at the moment we don't look any better than we did before. 

12/2/2014 11:22 PM  #15

I wouldn't necessarily agree that we're no further forward, we've shown that we can compete and come out on top I.e. Weymouth, St Neots etc.  By and large we've looked well organised over the past weeks which makes the result at Bashley more galling.  There are some obvious weak links, and some obvious prima donna's who need to be shown the door, but I honestly think we were going down the plug hole under the past two managers so we need to support MC and TJ.  They've got the experience at this level and I fully expect them to stabilise us before really getting to grips with the squad in the summer.

12/2/2014 11:49 PM  #16

I think it was always going to be a tall order turning things round dramatically, especially with a group of contracted players taking up a percentage of the budget. In dogfights like the one we are in you need fighters and I think we have that in the likes of griff, Lee Phillips, Rob Dean and Tindle but there are also a few others that perhaps aren't going to jump out of the trenches and battle alongside them. I still think we should have just enough to avoid relegation and I think Mark should be judged well into next season when he's been able to start with a clean slate over the summer, recruit a better squad and have a good pre-season with them.

So although we may feel disappointed at the moment it's important we still get behind them, do our bit as fans and stay positive.

13/2/2014 12:21 AM  #17

That is what has been frustrating this season. The fact that we actually do have some really capable players in the squad, but they haven't always been ready for the battle every week, for these individual games. That's what non-league football is about, and anyone playing at this level has to develop the right mentality that they focus on their role in the team, developing their game for those incisive moments, working harder than the opposition and developing that hunger to win on the day.

You have it right Paul, that Phillips, Griffin, Dean and Tindle are the lads who work their socks off and seem to understand the game best. The rest of them are not yet at the same level consistently.

It must be noted though - They still haven't had that much time playing together. Semi-professional footballers don't have as much time to gel. Once they better understand eachothers game, and which abilities each individual carries, things will look much more positive at the club. I don't see anything too much wrong with the way that Collier is handling this transition, even though some of the results have been disappointing.

Last edited by CodeBluebird (13/2/2014 12:26 AM)

13/2/2014 12:29 PM  #18

A pretty wretched result and a tough weekend coming up for us - I cant see a lot of cheer over the next week with Hemel and St Albans in the space of two days. The Monday game against St Albans could be worth a punt. I have no idea what thier travel policy is, but thats a heck of a round trip for the game at Bideford (assuming it goes ahead) to be playing again 2 nights later - even if it is at home for them.

Thankfully for us, we get a golden chance for the team to reverse this result a week on Saturday with Bashley coming to us.

13/2/2014 1:00 PM  #19

People keep referring to the contracted players as if they are a massive obstacle to our rebuilding plans and yet in the same breath praise the work ethic of players like Griff, Lee Phillips and Greg Tindle, who are some of the players most likely to be on a contract. You can't have it both ways.

13/2/2014 1:09 PM  #20

Dauntsey Boys wrote:

People keep referring to the contracted players as if they are a massive obstacle to our rebuilding plans and yet in the same breath praise the work ethic of players like Griff, Lee Phillips and Greg Tindle, who are some of the players most likely to be on a contract. You can't have it both ways.

Exactly!

Board footera