BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06/1/2014 5:16 PM  #1

Eusebio

Looks like it is down to me to mark his passing - regret to say that I am old enough to remember his skills from both the 1966 World Cup and 1968 European Cup Final (doesn't that sound better than Champions league) where he graced the proper Wembley Stadium.
By all accounts as well as being a great player he was a thoroughly nice man.

Last edited by Bluebirds2006 (06/1/2014 5:18 PM)

06/1/2014 8:30 PM  #2

Re: Eusebio

I was fortunate enough to be at Wembley in 1968 when Man U beat Benfica 4-1 to win what was then the European Cup. The one incident that has stuck with me after all these years was when Eusebio had a one-on-one with Stepney, the Man U 'keeper, late on in the game. Stepney made a terrific save. Eusebio's reaction? He applauded the 'keeper! A truly magnificent gesture. A class act from a golden era. Now, how many of today's top players are worthy of such a gesture? Answers, please, on the back of a stamp!

07/1/2014 11:31 AM  #3

Re: Eusebio

Deatiled memory of '66 passes me by, but I became aware of him around 1970 I got a football annual which showed a picture of him holding 'the golden boot' - which really was a football boot sprayed in gold paint. How times change.
733 goals in 745 games apparantly - thats one heck of a statistic.

Board footera