BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14/10/2013 1:03 PM  #1

The beautiful game...

Nothing about this mail will prevent me from watching Chippenham but having watched the team at the weekend I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of passes we made to members of our own team.

This started me thinking about non league football in general and why a large number of teams (including us) result to hoofing the ball into areas away from danger, rather than passing the ball and retaining possession?

I'm not naive enough to think that we can all play like Barcelona or Bayern Munich however I know a lot of our players that have come through youth academies where they taught to:

1. work hard to keep possession of the ball when they've got possession, play it out from the back etc and

2. to work hard to gain possession when they haven't got the ball.

Suddenly change approach when they reach senior football.

So when you have worked hard to get the ball, the last thing they are taught is to wack the ball as far as they can clueless of where the ball is going to land.

This isn't tactical genius at work as the basics behind the above are very simple; if you've got the ball the opposition can't score, if the opposition have the ball, they can!

So where does it all go wrong? 

Is there a place in non league football where a team attempts to play football rather than running scared of making mistakes and treating the ball as something they don't want rather than something precious that they want at all times.

I might be getting old but I long to see a few simple passes ideally to our own team.

Discuss?

14/10/2013 1:39 PM  #2

Re: The beautiful game...

I actually don't care.
I didn't see 800 people complaining when the ball was swept long into the channels for Steve Tweddle or Matt Rawlins, or Gilroy or Constable to ram it home.

14/10/2013 2:58 PM  #3

The young lads who played on Saturday are for the most part technically gifted. Up until we conceded the second goal, when their confidence started to slip away, there were plenty of passes from one blue shirt to another. If anything, at times there were too many, with no end product.

I appreciate that you're trying to make a point, but to say that you can count on one hand the number of passes we made to our own team is a gross exaggeration.  

14/10/2013 5:06 PM  #4

George wrote:

I actually don't care.
I didn't see 800 people complaining when the ball was swept long into the channels for Steve Tweddle or Matt Rawlins, or Gilroy or Constable to ram it home.

Talk about living on past glories George...how often did we actually have crowds of 800 watch us, bet it wasn't very often and very rarely since Wembley.

Some of us like to be entertained and not risk neck ache from watching the ball in the air all the time, clearly you're not bothered. Think the point Silver is making is that we see teams play some nice passing football on the ground and for the last few years we have one plan and one plan only. Hit it long and hope, very frustrating because we're better than that but fail to demonstrate it.

Hopefully future generations will have the confidence and instructions to try and play the Barca/Bayern way, would be lovely to watch a Chippenham side confident and capable enough to do it

15/10/2013 10:32 AM  #5

No point looking backwards George, those days are long gone. Also players like Constable don't come around very often at our level.

My point wasn't to criticise the young players in the team as Dauntsey implied, it was more a general concern that teams at southern league level revert to hoofing the ball rather than playing football.

I think the real problem (a bit like the England team) is that the players play in fear of failure therefore it's easier to get rid of the ball into an area, rather than risk making a mistake.

Take the young lad who played at right back on Saturday; he was having a hard time, but instead of giving him encouragement I had to witness Winter berating him at every opportunity. This was magnified as I think I was sat behind his parents who were very disappointed with Winter's approach.

Due to Winter's behaviour as the game wore on the poor lad was petrified of getting the ball as he knew that any mistake would lead to another berating.

For a team to play to its full potential the players need to be able to play without fear and take risks at the right time to get reward. The days of shouting and humiliating a player if he makes a mistake are long gone and more importantly don't work.

I've said before that I wanted the board to make a step change after the exit of Rudgey and it was a more modern coaching and managing approach that I wanted.

At the moment Winter is tasked with ringing even more out of an already dry rag when we should be addressing why the rag is dry in the first place.

Throwing money at the problem is not the answer either, we need a step change in approach before we see a step change in results.

15/10/2013 11:42 AM  #6

Not looking backwards, just making the point if you're winning, discussions like this dont happen.

15/10/2013 3:10 PM  #7

Silver
'a step change' for or to what? I'm 66, Please elaborate??????

Thanks

Peter K Farrell

15/10/2013 4:44 PM  #8

Steep?

16/10/2013 8:30 AM  #9

Peter:

You’re never too old for a step change!

Seriously, I’ll try and answer your question.

Through my children’s involvement in the game I’ve been fortunate to witness some younger professional coaches who follow an approach where possession is the key focus.

If you look at football in Spain at youth level they don’t play with goals until they get to 12 or 13. The game is won or lost by how long you have possession of the ball rather than how many goals you score. It’s not surprising therefore that Spanish players all appear a lot more comfortable in possession of the ball.

If you consider what Guardiola did at Barcalona and is now doing at Bayern, and the way teams like Swansea under Martinez, Everton now under Martinez,  Watford under Zola to name a few, play, they are almost redefining the game tactically.

Characteristics of the approach are:

- Technically able players who are comfortable on the ball, including the goalkeepe- r
- A massive focus on possession, keeping the ball when you have it, pressing/swarming to get the ball when you haven’t
- Players playing between the lines to find space
- Playing out from the back, rather than the goalkeeper hoofing the ball forward
- Full backs overlapping to become attacking threats
- Midfield overloaded with five plus midfielders interchanging positions
- A false nine (striker) dropping into midfield to help the overloading
- Strikers focused on movement to find pockets of space away from large less mobile defenders

I’m over simplifying it but you get the idea.

Now linking this back to Chippenham as the above is all very theoretical, the reason for my first post was to ask the question whether it was possible to adopt this more modern way of playing at our level or whether the above is me being too demanding as a fan and living in a dream world!!

Based on the above our current style is close to the opposite:

- Players who might be comfortable on the ball but don’t want it through fear of failure
- Players who appear scared of possession through fear of failure
- A rigid formation 4-4-2, 3-5-2 etc
- No playing out from the back, Ben normally hoofs the ball forward into an area and concedes possession of the ball
- Full backs defending OK but with little attacking threat
- 4 sometimes 5 in midfield with no interchange between midfield and forwards
- 1 sometimes 2 forwards with somebody typical hoofing the ball up to Griff who flicks it on to nobody (no offence Griff as I know you work hard), again conceding possession 

The approach I’m attempting to describe requires a lot of contact with the players which would be difficult as our lads are all part time and have day jobs. It also requires a commitment from top to bottom to commit to a different style which will take time to yield results (most managers don’t have time!).

Maybe a balance between the two styles is a more realistic target however I would be interested in the forums view.

17/10/2013 10:52 AM  #10

Corshan go down 4-0 last night to the long ball game!!

Board footera