BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08/7/2013 5:29 PM  #1

Swansea City

"Premier league" Swansea are coming to Hardenhuish on 27th July - I wonder how many will have pulled on a first team shirt!

08/7/2013 5:51 PM  #2

Re: Swansea City

I was literally just about to make a thread about this!
You can't expect them to field their first eleven, so that's a fairly negative attitude, they wouldn't even necessarily put their best players out against us for a competitive fixture. What matters is that it'll be a good day for the supporters, it'll attract a few extra curious onlookers, and could be a bit of a money-spinner for the club.
Hopefully the local media will promote this match well.

Last edited by CodeBluebird (08/7/2013 5:51 PM)

08/7/2013 6:33 PM  #3

What you say makes good sense Codebird, there whole playing squad is quality. It would be nice to see a few faces pushing for a Premiere place getting a 45 minute run out. With it being a Saturday as well they should bring a bit of traveling  support. Im looking forward to it any way.The close season seems to have gone quicker this time round.Good luck to Nathan and Steve,lets hope its less stressful for us all. See all you Chippenham fans soon. 

08/7/2013 10:24 PM  #4

That's an attractive game, whatever team the Swans put out.  No doubt a Development side but with a local twist?  Ex-Trowbridge (and Chippenham) player Marcus Bray's lad is on the books at Swansea.  Bet he doesn't get sent off as many times as his old man!  :-)

08/7/2013 11:40 PM  #5

Swansea City are playing away against Reading on 27th July 2013, but whichever way you look at it, its a bit of a coup to play any of their sides. I'm fairly sure most of Swansea's travelling support won't be coming off the M4 at junction 17 though.

09/7/2013 12:30 AM  #6

Ssshhh!

09/7/2013 10:59 AM  #7

CodeBluebird wrote:

I was literally just about to make a thread about this!
You can't expect them to field their first eleven, so that's a fairly negative attitude, they wouldn't even necessarily put their best players out against us for a competitive fixture. What matters is that it'll be a good day for the supporters, it'll attract a few extra curious onlookers, and could be a bit of a money-spinner for the club.
Hopefully the local media will promote this match well.

Not a negative comment - just an observation. Interestingly it has been reported that Swindon Town are taking a full strength squad to Devizes tonight as they did to Supermarine. Due to pitch concerns only they did not risk their first teamers at Banbury. Whilst I am pleased to see the likes of Swansea and Ipswich etc perhaps a strong Swindon side would have been more of a plum tie. In addition it would be wise for a club placed where we are to be trying to develop relationships with the likes of STFC.
Local media already plugging game as this was where I heard about it in the G & H breaking news.

09/7/2013 10:15 PM  #8

Bluebirds2006 wrote:

CodeBluebird wrote:

Not a negative comment - just an observation. Interestingly it has been reported that Swindon Town are taking a full strength squad to Devizes tonight as they did to Supermarine. Due to pitch concerns only they did not risk their first teamers at Banbury. Whilst I am pleased to see the likes of Swansea and Ipswich etc perhaps a strong Swindon side would have been more of a plum tie. In addition it would be wise for a club placed where we are to be trying to develop relationships with the likes of STFC.
Local media already plugging game as this was where I heard about it in the G & H breaking news.

Hopefully someone will put me straight if I've got this wrong, but didn't STFC vow never to play us again in a pre-season friendly after they accused our team of roughing their players up a bit. I think this was at the start of the 1999/2000 season and true to their word, they haven't graced us with a pre-season friendly since. 

09/7/2013 10:56 PM  #9

Don't remember that one DB, but I do remember pre-season 69-70 when Swindon's League Cup winning stars graced Hardenhuish Park.  Still got the programme, signed by some of the Swindon players as they tried to warm up just beofre the game started.  Swarms of kids all over the pitch - no doubt you were there too ;-)

10/7/2013 12:28 AM  #10

I believe Ian Murphy came in for particular criticism and was blamed for either causing or aggravating Gareth Davies' knee injury which ended his professional career. Ironically Gareth ended his playing days with us.

Unfortunately I wasn't at HP for that game pre-season 69-70.

Board footera