BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/6/2013 11:08 AM  #1

Ipswich

Official site has k.o. time as 1 p.m. on 13th July

12/6/2013 2:04 PM  #2

Re: Ipswich

FROM IPSWICH TOWN WEBSITE :
Latest pre-season friendly to be confirmed with game arranged as part of Mings' December move to BluesA Town XI will face Chippenham in a pre-season friendly at Hardenhuish Park on Saturday July 13th with a kick-off time still to be confirmed.
The game has been arranged due to a clause in the deal that saw Tyrone Mings move to Portman Road from the non-League side in December of last year and will provide another date on the pre-season calendar for Mick McCarthy’s men.
Tyrone made his Blues debut in the final game of the Championship season, playing the full 90 minutes in the defeat to Burnley.
The side is expected to be made up largely of Academy scholars and full ticket details will be announced on the Club website in due course

12/6/2013 5:50 PM  #3

Sorry to be a killjoy, but a game against Ipswich's Academy side, plus a few reserves, isn't going to be the sort of pay day we need, in which case why bother to include the clause in Tyrone's deal. If we aren't going to get the first team and some significant financial benefit, the clause is worthless. (No doubt they'll be technically a very gifted side and a good test, but that isn't the sort of team we get to play in the Southern Premier League).

23/6/2013 3:02 PM  #4

Indeed, they don't even have us listed as a friendly on their website. Hopefully just the presence of the name will attract a few curious onlookers. The Exeter City fixture looks a little more interesting.

24/6/2013 9:53 AM  #5

Good Morning Everyone

I am an Ipswich supporter, and I would hope that somewhere around 500+ of us will come along for the game. We normally take 1,000 - 1,500 to away games, but West Country Blues get few games, and will all turn out, plus a goodly number from East Anglia, who are desparate to see any football at all.

As for the team, it will be a mix of youth and experience, but Mick McCarthy will probably do this for all our pre season games. Mick did this in our last game of the season against Burnley, when Tyrone played at left back behind Arran Cresswell. He was up against it, with Kieran Trippier marauding down the right flank, but played very well against difficult opponents.

Most of us think that Tyrone would step up to the first team if we were to lose Cresswell (our first choice left back) to a top flight side. It is a question of gaining experience rather than a question of his ability, which is obvious. He is lucky in that Mick is an outstanding defensive coach. He took our car crash of a defence under Jewell and turned it into a unit that didn't concede for five straight games in the spring. He is in safe hands.

I would welcome any advice on good pubs and car parks, and I will put this up on our TWTD forum, which will help to swell the numbers. Ipswich fans (with the odd numpty) are pretty friendly and us West Country fans are really, really happy about this game taking place.

24/6/2013 10:20 AM  #6

Thanks for 'Chipping In'! If 500 of you turn up Pete in the bar will get the shock of his life... But by all means come along and enjoy our charming facilities.

Car parking is free on the road outside of the club (honest). Chippenham if you've never been, is a picturesque market town on the river Avon, and full of pubs. We all have our own fav, and of course the club bar is very nice indeed with a great view of the pitch - and is open all game. Yes it really is.
The Old road Tavern is situated in a prime spot to capture rail travellers, and serves decent ale. The ground is a 10-15 minuite walk from the town centre. http://www.cotswolds.info/places/chippenham.shtml

I'm biased, but its probably the best proper town in North Wiltshire. It doesnt need a 'Royal' in the title.

This might help: http://goo.gl/maps/gxDLJ

Last edited by Lord Voldermort (24/6/2013 10:32 AM)

Lets Make The Magic Happen..

24/6/2013 11:02 AM  #7

Many thanks for this feedback, which I have copied and pasted back to our forum. I apologise if I set alarm bells off with the 500 estimate, but they won't all be baying at the doors of the bar threatening beer or death!

I have asked our lot for their estimate of numbers in case I have this wrong, and will report back. Hopefully we will get some decent weather to go with a nice pint or two and an enjoyable game. I have to say that the lack of football is causing some withdrawal symptoms at our end.

24/6/2013 12:53 PM  #8

Harry, if there are anywhere near 500 Ipswich Town fans then I'll happily take back my previous post. The reason for my negativity is that we've been stung before with these pre-season friendly clauses. The last time was when we sold James Constable to Walsall. They couldn't fit us into their pre-season schedule and so came to us for a meaningless fixture in October. Everyone will be made very welcome. You might already be aware that Russell Osman's son Toby plays for us.

24/6/2013 2:43 PM  #9

Having spoken to a few mates, the 500 figure might well be a bit on the rich side given the lunchtime kick off, but I will bump this thread up closer to the date with any useful feedback on numbers.

I am sorry to hear of your previous experiences with these games, Dauntsey. Mick will definitely use this game to try ideas out. He inherited an absolute mess from Paul Jewell and had little chance to develop the squad last season given the relegation mayhem in the Championship. There is a higher than normal interest in this year's pre-season, as we want to see what his real plans are.

Apologies, but I didn't realise that Russell Osman's son played for you. I normally put a blog together for TWTD getting the oppositions thoughts ahead of each game, and will come back closer to the game to ask for people's views. The game will probably be odd for both sets of supporters, as we will both be trying to get to know our own line-ups.

24/6/2013 2:48 PM  #10

The more the merrier, our club could do with the extra income at the moment. A lot of Football League supporters might be surprised at just how worthwhile the matchday experience is with clubs at our level, and it's a new ground for you all. Non-league fans are a long-suffering yet friendly bunch.

I went to see Ipswich Town play at Portman Road as an away supporter with Huddersfield Town last season (Been living up North for a while, and so followed the local club there), and must say you certainly had potential in the team, with some good passing moves put together. It just didn't look cohesive enough. Hoping for a good game which is beneficial to both of our teams, we're also in a major stage of transition at the moment.

Last edited by CodeBluebird (24/6/2013 2:54 PM)

Board footera