BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26/12/2023 11:02 PM  #11

Re: V Bath City Today.

Funny old game wrote:

Ultimately when you compare budgets, I would scratch my head if I was the bath city owners after that - thousands a week more for that?  Nothing between the teams but that’s how football goes sometimes. Real chance on New Years Day

How on earth do you know anybody's budget?
Anyway to the football. A very dull 1st half where Chippenham seemed happy just to sit back as City struggled to create anything worthwhile. I don't understand all this playing out from the back the way you lot do. In theory the whole point of doing this way is to lure the opposing players in thus creating a space left behind by them for you to play in but as City didn't do this and just stood back I was surprised that there didn't seem to be a plan B for you to play out, something which I have accused City of plenty of times before bt we have improved on this this season.
2nd half was a little better but atmosphere as lots of people have pointed out was very flat and we didn't seem to have to work too hard for the 1st goal and the penalty was stonewall as I had a good view of it. Chippenham then completely changed and we couldn't cope with you lot and couldn't stop all these crosses and a fantastic header for the goal with old chocolate ankles being a constant thorn in our side. I heard the disallowed goal was down to an elbow in the build up but as I was far away I definitely couldn't comment on this but I was relieved to hear the final whistle in the end. Roll on for Part Deux and hopefully a better game and atmosphere.

26/12/2023 11:57 PM  #12

Black Hornet wrote:

Funny old game wrote:

Ultimately when you compare budgets, I would scratch my head if I was the bath city owners after that - thousands a week more for that?  Nothing between the teams but that’s how football goes sometimes. Real chance on New Years Day

How on earth do you know anybody's budget?

Think the budget argument is a fairly obvious one. Coady Cooke and Scott Wilson are both on approx £800 per week. Elliot Frear and Tom Smith are close to that. We lost Russe, Parselle and Greenslade to better deals and they were our higher earners. Chris Lines won’t be sat around for nothing.

I would confidently say that Baths budget is £2,000 - £3,000 per week higher than ours as a minimum. Unless of course the Bath players I haven’t mentioned are paying subs to play?  Other than Jordan Thomas, do they have any other players that they could get money for?  The answer is no and even he is too old to really move on to a professional club.  Hence why Bath City are riddled in debt - supporter owned when they need money but ran into the ground for the ego of short term winning.  If this team doesn’t get promoted it will need an extensive rebuild. If it does get promoted it will need replacing - there is no long term positive for Bath City operating as they do.

Just my well informed opinion.

27/12/2023 9:50 AM  #13

FOG completely agree with the final point you make, but the budget comments just make you look bitter.
Yes they defyhave a budget bigger than ours ( most do) but we’ve beaten many teams with bigger by than ours before, so why let it bother us.

The game - ref definitely cost us a point. Bath looked in control fist half, with numerous crosses which we defended well and we rarely threatened.
2nd half we we better, canycomnent on thier goals as at the far end. But definitely not a penalty agaiy TOE as the ball had run away from him but our 2nd should have stood.

Organisation - sorry was poor…again. Bath fans moaning about  queues at the turnstiles, but we opened them all and fans were asked to turn up early..so no issue there from me.
But the drinking anywhere in the ground backfired on us today. Loads of fans wanting a pint so bar area and out side was obviously busy, then at half time we make the ridiculous decision to prevent fans changing ends on the dugout side, causing a huge bottle neck around the bar Terrence and toliets.
Why not operate an one way system, like anti clockwise and announce it over the PA.

Anyway Bath looked nothing special but we lost, only 3 points, so onto the next one.

27/12/2023 11:36 AM  #14

I don't think the FOG's comments on Bath's budget look bitter, Wellard.... and Season's Greetings to you and all other regulars here, by the way... I think they are very interesting, and help keep our perspective  on just what an achievement it is for CTFC to be able to do what they do in a League where they are comparative small fish swimming with much bigger ones (and an occasional shark). It is entirely understandable and natural for us to have an inferiority complex especially about Bath City.  They are a city; we're a town.  They have nearly double our population, over double our gates; a degree of pedigree and history that we can't match... only start to make for ourselves in the future. They are capable of luring our better players away... which is always galling, but sadly, inevitable. Providing we don't dwell on it... which for 51 weeks in the year we generally don't, we can afford a little harmless needle to creep in during Derby week. You're entirely right in saying that generally it is our own affairs we need to concentrate on.  Black Hornet's opposition perspective is an interesting one, in suggesting that we are generally too cautious .. and often are most effective when stung by an opposition goal .. or in yesterday's case, two.  We could have pulled that game back in the final 10 minutes when we so much more aggressive and enterprising in going forward.  Our default position if we take a lead is often to sit a bit deeper rather than really push hard for the second. We have the players to do it. I also agree with the point made by others that the moving around of the ball at the back not only makes us pretty predictable  but, more importantly,  allows opposition defences way too much time to set their defensive agenda ( as Parselle & co. did so effectively yesterday). 
That said, I'm full of optimism ( cautious) for 2024
Happy New Year..  peace, goodwill and fine local football... to everybody.

27/12/2023 1:33 PM  #15

Fair points well made Rambler and Seasons greeting to you.
But it’s comes across as bitter as the Bath forum are talking about it.
As well as some regular idiot calling us tinpot .. When we’ve been in this league many years , with limited budget and have an academy Mr Gill must be envious of, as he doesn’t appear to rate theirs.
Talking about us a lot on their forum , some of their fans are obsessed with us..bless them.

I would also add from my perspective credit to both sets of fans, didn’t see any issues and seemed to mix well, which is refreshing given recent events in and around the league.
Will always get the odd idiot who’s drunk too much.

Last edited by Wellard (27/12/2023 2:25 PM)

27/12/2023 2:11 PM  #16

Just had a look on the Bath City Forum. Some interesting comments about Chippenham Town on there from some of their contributors alongside the "tinpot club" and their reflection on FOG's budget post. "Boring team", "no ambition", "referee making correct decisions","Chippenham's goal kick routine", a love in around Luke Russe and a description of Tom Smith as the "Ginger Messi". One of the sensible contributors took time to call the tinpot club comment out and have some respect for us. Seems some of their probably new followers are more fixated on us than we are on them.  Local non league football - got to love it.

Last edited by Argus (27/12/2023 3:32 PM)

27/12/2023 2:17 PM  #17

Pretty much concur with the general opinion that we deserved a point and share the frustration of many with our continued obsession with playing out from the back.  One sour note from me though - the oik with the questionable haircut who abandoned any thoughts of encouraging his own team and just concentrated on shouting “Judas” literally every time Greenslade, Russe or Parselle touched the ball.  Pathetic to put it mildly.  As if he wouldn’t go to a much bigger club (were he a player) for more money given the chance?  Football is a short career, good luck to them I say.  We’re doing just fine thank you very much. 

27/12/2023 2:30 PM  #18

Argus wrote:

Just had a look on the Bath City Forum. Some interesting comments about Chippenham Town on there from some of their contributors alongside the "tinpot club" and their reflection on FOG's budget post. "Boring team", "no ambition", "referee making correct decisions","Chippenham's goal kick routine", a love in around Luke Russe and a decription of Tom Smith as the "Ginger Messi". One of the sensible contributors took time to call the tinpot club comment out and have some respect for us. Seems some of their probably new followers are more fixated on us than we are on them.  Local non league football - got to love it.

Couldn’t agree with that anymore.
Some of the big old Bath supporters clearly don’t like the reality of playing little old village team Chippenham, despite them being in this league for 10 years🤣
I’ve always found the majority of their fans have a massive chip on their shoulders given the past.
Got to laugh about it really.

27/12/2023 4:03 PM  #19

This one is hilarious:
“ Tin pot = A wall falling over, terrible toilets especially for lady's, dangerous ground. Are they our local rivals? Is this rugby?”

Toilets have you seen them at Twerton.
Dangerous wastes them who had the injured player who hit the perimeter wall and also had to crowd find as the ground failed a safety inspection.

They are a funny bunch.

27/12/2023 4:12 PM  #20

I take it the random reference made by our friends in Bath relates to the wall collapsing during a match at HP against Bath and one of their players (name escapes me) done his ankle. Not exactly relevant - it happened long time ago circa..2001 or 2002!!. Conveniently they pass on the dire state at Twerton Park- the toilets by the entrance are a injury trap in itself! When they possibly get their new pitch - no doubt it will be the the best in the west!! Amusing how some of the Bath fanbase view the status of their club which has made some of their forum a entertaining read today.Expect more in the lead up to Monday!

Last edited by Argus (28/12/2023 11:49 AM)

Board footera