BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09/11/2023 9:05 PM  #31

Re: Farnborough

Taken from the club statement:

'If your intention is to cause trouble you should think very carefully about the potential impact of your actions on the reputation of the Club and its supporters in general and you should be under no illusion that if the Club considers the offence(s) warrant, it will have no hesitation in referring the matter for police consideration.

I didn't see any Police Officers respond at the time to the racist incidents at either the Taunton or Farnborough games. Racist abuse is a criminal offence. In both cases the culprit was known. Did anyone in authority at the club actually ring them? It seems in both cases the person responsible was allowed to walk free. Simply ejecting someone after they've hurled racist abuse isn't going to satisfy the F.A, and rightly so. Rather than finger-wagging about the possible consequences, CTFC, in conjunction with the police, need to develop a protocol for dealing with this offensive behaviour.

Post-match on Tuesday I was shown social media comments which clearly indicated that some form of disorder was planned by a group of Farnborough supporters. CTFC was apparently aware of this threat. Presumably the paid stewards were too, and yet typically, they weren't alert to the potential of a confrontation at the half-time switching of ends. The paid stewarding is poor, possibly because they're doormen and not football stewards. There's a big difference in the roles. Doormen tend to be reactive, whereas a football steward needs to be proactive in preventing disorder.

Last edited by Dauntsey Boys (09/11/2023 9:06 PM)

10/11/2023 12:44 PM  #32

2 small contributions to the "playing-the-ball-around-and-from-the-back" debate:-

(1). Judging by Gary's post-match video comments,  it is clearly a deliberate ploy "to entice" ( his words) the opposition press and then play quickly and decisively through it into space vacated by the high-pressers.  Speed and accuracy being the prime attributes to exploit this system.

(2) As someone who has rock-climbed and MT biked a bit  over the years,  it is worth remembering that what looks precarious and even dangerous to a spectator, usually feels perfectly natural, safe and under control to the climber/ biker and within their comfort/ safety zone.  This is where I do agree with Funny Old Game, in that all young players nowadays are completely schooled in this way of playing and don't think twice about it, trusting their skills and judgement completely.  To us as spectators it probably looks a highly dangerous tactic sometimes ( and is, too!) but we clearly are being asked to trust the players' skills & judgements. The problem is, that just like rock faces and biking terrain,  external conditions can make things a lot less predictable... ie a roughed up , uneven playing surface  can make  passes  bobble or cause them to be over/under hit. Also a receiving defender getting the ball with their backs to their own goal, can't see potential danger looming behind them.. so is in danger of being robbed of the ball or having their pass intercepted. You do need to have very technically proficient footballers to play this way.
So, it's clearly not " mucking about".  However, it brings its own jeopardy and I think it is that that makes so many of us uncomfortable at times... especially when it induces minor panics and heart stoppages and even leads to an opposition free kick, penalty or goal

10/11/2023 4:45 PM  #33

Behind the goal wrote:

Chipp_Bluebird wrote:

Argus wrote:

Rarely do I watch from behind the goals so I have not seen first hand the three or four concerning incidents (Weymouth and Farnborough last season), Taunton this season, but after making small talk with one of our younger supporters in the bar a few weeks ago, I was told that there were tensions between Farnborough and Chippenham and there could be a stand off when they came down to us. After being surprised that such hostility existed at our lower level, I enquired if this had been mentioned to the club and the stewarding team. I was told it had and was half expecting some notice from the club on social media that the stewarding throughout the ground would be ramped up as a precaution.

To the untrained eye something went wrong with the stewarding and I find it unbelievable that after punches being thrown at half time and a major incident at the start of the 2nd half, we see a flare chucked on the pitch from the cricket end at full time and no reaction from those deployed to eradicate issues like this. As Wellard says unless there is improvement, it will only drive family supporters away. We don't have enough of these as it is.

It is all very bizarre, back in my younger days I enjoyed the singing and atmosphere at games and still do but I distance myself these days a bit more. I was speaking to one of them in the bar on Saturday and was told similar. I asked what games/teams do they think there would be issues and was told Farnborough and Weymouth and that was it, I asked what about Bath, Torquay, Yeovil etc and he looked at me blank in the face and just said they will be fine it's the Farnborough and Weymouth games that are the issue, it's due to social media apparently and then carries over to matchday and there were tensions last season at the home games with those sides.

I would strongly suggest if it isn't in thoughts already that the Weymouth game is segregated. First half last night the atmosphere was good and then it died a death second half partly probably as the half time events shook them up a bit. They have walked that way to towards the Sheldon End multiple times this season without incident and I feel that the stewarding/security team should have been more on the ball.

The reason the stewards are so reluctant to kick racists/violent people out is that they don't have the capacity to deal with something larger scale that could start from trying to remove an individual and for public safety at that time even though they have punched somebody is it better to keep that person in ground rather than try remove them and cause a bigger incident.

Agree with the one way system, have home fans go past the tunnel and bar and in that way for future games. Our supporters not fighting back I was very impressed with and I think that was partly down to deterrent as they didn't want to be ejected or banned, had they been not so calm that could have been very nasty.

Just to give you the heads up Weymouth at home is being segregated.
Few things happen at the away game this season(not fighting).
We are told by the lad thats been banned from the home games for the rest of the season.

The stewards on Tuesday night did the job they had to do! How would you feel if you were being called names

The club will get a tough fine for this as being the home club. How does everybody feel about putting our hands in our pockets and helping out the club?
I am sure Neil and the directors would appreciate it after all this wasn’t the clubs fault

12/11/2023 8:40 AM  #34

Looks like there was also a crowd issue at the Weymouth vs Farnborough game which is being investigated.
The last couple of season I’ve started hearing about incidents like these at games which is worrying, whether racist or violent.
Not since the days of Merthyr and Gloucester.

13/11/2023 9:23 AM  #35

Board footera