BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21/10/2023 6:30 PM  #1

St Albans

Two steps forward; one step back.  An excellent first half from both teams: bright, intense, bags of movement and ambition.  We capped some really good work with a well constructed goal and exactly the sort of finish that MM's talents were made for.  He had led from the front from the start.. harrying their goalkeeper and chasing down everything, St Albans threatened and scored just before half time.  A fair reflection of play.  There was the added bonus  ( at last!!) of an excellent, invisible referee ... who issued only one yellow card all game ( I think)  and was most visible when she was accidently bundled over by Luke Spokes ( Does he always have this effect on women??)

Sadly, the second half told a slightly different story.  We began to revert to some of the traits of the previous 2 or 3 games with the back 4 passing across the pitch deep , often, in fairness, because there was little movement and space ahead of them to pass into. We lost our intensity, conceded  and couldn't regain the initiative until the dying  minutes when we suddenly sprang to life again.

We probably deserved a point and would have got one had not MM uncharacteristically missed from the spot.
All-round this was a way more encouraging Home performance  where we seemed to want to keep the tempo and intensity high... until, of course, we let it drop for 30 minutes in the second half.  Good to see Fas back on the pitch... and welcome back to Ed Williams who was his usual tidy self when he came on.

21/10/2023 6:34 PM  #2

Re: St Albans

Chippenham 1 St Albans 2
I thought we started brightly with some decent play going forward. Refreshing to see the ball not going back to the keeper so often. Great opening goal. The missed penalty followed by quick equaliser sent us back into our shells
Second half was very disappointing with chippenham reverted to playing it around at back and not going forward enough. Introduction of subs made a minor impact on game with St Albans running out worthy winners
A very disappointing afternoon with not wins at home since end of August (correct me if I am wrong) and claiming only 4 points from last 6 games
Do we need a change  of  management,? The style of play and results make me believe we do and it needs to happen quickly

21/10/2023 6:54 PM  #3

Very good first half and but for an excellent save by the St Albans goalkeeper would have had a deserved two goal lead. The second half was poor with us reverting to playing it around at the back and no real surprise when St Albans went ahead. After that it was terrible.
Unless we change our tactics especially at home it’s going to be a long hard slog to stay in this league!! Today’s attendance a sign of the frustration being felt by our supporters.

21/10/2023 6:55 PM  #4

Echo what’s been said above, but although we started brightly we created very little(apart from the great goal) in terms of goal scoring opportunities. Think McClure hitting the bar with a fortuitous shot was about the only addition.
We are just not jelling and gave the ball away a lot….again.
Thought St Albans carried more goal threat throughout the game., so probably a fair result.
Two mid table teams playing pretty boring football.
Ridiculous to suggest we change the manager 🤣
Agree about the ref….poles apart from the prat against Dartford.
Think the attendance appeared a little generous at 494. Looked like another poor crowd which is worrying.

21/10/2023 7:53 PM  #5

Tight game against last seasons play ott finalists. First half both teams looked bright and we did well. Penalty miss, hitting the bar and their goal in a short period of time seemed to knock the stuffing out of the whole ground.

Second half started slowly but St Albans sat in deep so became hard to create chances. Can’t think of another shot they had all half - a draw would have been fair but if you don’t take your chances then you get punished.

From speaking with the players after I think their looking forward to playing away from home.

21/10/2023 7:55 PM  #6

Crowd was very low today, I would have said 450. St Albans were the better side, Chippenham lacked creativity. Good to see Ed Williams back.

Saw the singers moved when we were shooting towards Sheldon End. Heard that the main force behind that group, who is long term supporter been banned for rest of the season which seems incredibly draconian when nothing has really happened to justify that.

Last edited by Chipp_Bluebird (21/10/2023 10:49 PM)

21/10/2023 8:09 PM  #7

Shouts for a management change are ridiculous. Haven't had a fully available squad since pre-season and we've actually made one of our better starts to a season at this level, we're on the same amount of points after 13 games as we were in the play-off year

21/10/2023 8:40 PM  #8

Yeovil are threatening to be a run away side (and so they should be with their budget) but other than that it is very very tight.

We have some of our most senior players out (AAH, TOE) and I think we miss Will King too but today was still good for large parts. Not ruthless enough in the key moments.

21/10/2023 10:11 PM  #9

One of those games. Agree with the many points made especially around the 2nd half. First half we passed the ball forward more than any other time this season and were playing with a bit of purpose after the opening goal which had them on the ropes. The missed penalty, hitting the bar and the equaliser came at the wrong time and they took advantage of their breaks. Second half very frustrating. It seemed we were far too cautious and happy to engage in a game of cat and mouse. They stepped up a gear and were a bit bolder as highlighted by their excellent winner. A game of fine margins but concerning that until very late on, their defenders were comfortable 2nd half with the game being played in front of them.

Good to see Ed Williams back at the club and eventually - after some detailed instruction- get on the pitch. Maybe he will make a bit of a difference like his arrival did last season. It will be interesting to see where he plays. Hopefully it will be in midfield rather than on the wing as he is a player who can create and be a bit different.

21/10/2023 10:15 PM  #10

As I saw it a game which could have gone either way, although St Albans seemed much the more likely to get the winner in the second half. Had we scored the penalty to go 2-0 up it could well have been a different game. Refreshingly well refereed I thought.

As for the bigger picture I think we are too weak in midfield to do really well in this league and I think we miss AAH at the back when he is out injured. I don't agree with those who suggest a change of management, even though its a bit frustrating watching the home performances so far this year. I fear attendances will continue to drop. Pleased to see Ed Williams back.

Board footera