BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16/9/2023 9:07 PM  #11

Re: Hungerford

Not sure whether to post here or under the FA Cup Embarrassment thread! That was absolutely appalling today from start to finish. From strange team selection/positions, to lack of 'pride and passion' from the off, to inept decision making, to persistence with systems that clearly don't work, to poor attendance. Some very angry supporters left that ground today.

16/9/2023 9:22 PM  #12

I like to think of myself as a level headed football fan so here we go.

Today you had Hungerford who wanted to sit in and counter attack and the onus was on us to break them down. We lacked any proper quality to break them down, certain players couldn’t pass and receive at times. We then concede from a long throw and things become 10 times harder.

Second half we started brightly and then Will Henry messes up and then its tailor made for them. Subs made a good impact and Caine scored. Third goal was the most obvious foul in the world but nothing came of it and then he fourth just happens as we go for it.

I move myself around the ground and I hear the same people that praised the performances 2 games ago as the same people who critique it now. Sideways/backwards etc.  Ultimately, the only thing they care about is winning football matches. If we win and play poorly then it’s a dogged performance. If we lose and pass the ball we are tippy tappy.  People need to be more balanced however on a forum that is busier when we lose than when we win, what do you expect?

We are a very young team and do lack some visible leadership on the pitch. I don’t know what the dressing room is like and could be completely different.  Today though I felt our senior players were not good enough - while our academy is strong, we can’t be in a place where week in week out they are our most consistent players on the pitch. They need to look up to other players rather than how it is at the moment. 

Last season our FA Cup run cost us in the league so let’s hope it works in reverse this time round. The same pant wetters of last season are back and went very quiet in part 2 of the season - I can easily see that happening again.

16/9/2023 9:23 PM  #13

Behind the goal wrote:

Sounds like we was poor. I wouldn’t know as fans was thrown out before the game due to last week being involved with Maidstone fans. Nice to see stewards have still got their jobs after starting on fans the other week.

More issues with stewards??

16/9/2023 9:25 PM  #14

frank wrote:

Congratulations to hungerford , by far the better team today
Note to mr Horgan, we are not good enough to keep passing it around at the back and that was obvious from today’s performance and we need to change tactics

Kick it long to big Craig F to win headers?

16/9/2023 9:48 PM  #15

So what do you propose? Quick to knock back what others say. Continue with this passing the ball around at the back and get absolutely nowhere?  Cannot see the point of defender to Henry, back to defender by which time defender or Henry is now forced to kick the ball under pressure. The further and quicker you get the ball away from your own goal the less chance the opposition have of scoring. Clearly all this “tippy-tapped” cost us dearly today.

16/9/2023 10:12 PM  #16

I propose that if you are trying something you get better at it rather than just abandon it at the first sign of trouble.  It’s a new team that is yet to be at full strength because of injuries and suspensions. If I had the time to go through posts I can assure you the same people that moan about passing are the same people who moaned about long balls under MC.

To answer your questions, I don’t fully know why we pass to Will and then pass but I know it didn’t cost us any of the goals today and had zero bearing on the result. 1) long throw 2) Will Henry 3) foul 4) caught on the break.  I certainly think we need more variety in our play, our quick players don’t run behind enough for my liking but that’s one small aspect of a game.   I don’t see enough from our senior players but we have lost today and been poor and got beaten up by full timers last week.

At the end of the day, most people make knee jerk, emotional comments straight after a game and when we lose, the world ends.

16/9/2023 10:28 PM  #17

Funny old game wrote:

Last season our FA Cup run cost us in the league so let’s hope it works in reverse this time round. The same pant wetters of last season are back and went very quiet in part 2 of the season - I can easily see that happening again.

Yes because we got some quality loans in, MCClure, Williams and Tomlinson. Made possible no doubt by the FA Cup money.
Won’t have that luxury this season.
We were very poor at times up until Christmas until that came in.

16/9/2023 11:38 PM  #18

Wellard wrote:

Funny old game wrote:

Yes because we got some quality loans in, MCClure, Williams and Tomlinson. Made possible no doubt by the FA Cup money.
Won’t have that luxury this season.
We were very poor at times up until Christmas until that came in.

No FA Cup money was used in bringing additions.  Spent on utility costs that substantially increased (so I’m told).  No doubt the team in January will look different v now.

17/9/2023 2:53 AM  #19

Sorry but find that hard to believe.
McClure was on very good money at Gloucester (full time) and is on a good wage here.
can’t believe we’d have signed him without the cup money, especially given the travelling he’s doing.

Although I agree with you, it’s not panic stations yet, if I remember rightly we scraped past Hendon last year especially at home in the reply.
For me we seem to be relying on too many academy or young players. We’ve never started with so many. Great for the future but maybe not the here and now.
Guess this is forced by injury (although the bench looked healthy yesterday) and budget. I’d suggest more the latter.

One other thing I haves noticed and also read about on other forums is our gates. 400 is very poor and average of around 600. Most south west clubs have increased their gates post covid, some quite dramatically, Bath, Weston, Taunton etc… yet ours have barely increased, are we doing something wrong…marketing, cost, social media etc…?

17/9/2023 5:03 AM  #20

Only 380 yesterday and Hungerford brought a few

Board footera