BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28/8/2023 7:07 PM  #1

Slough

Good & important win after a tough battle and a number of scares as Slough came too close too often for comfort. 10 points and it's still August which is really encouraging.  Will Henry was exceptional at times.  Back four looked solid enough and did well against some very physical opponents.  The midfield  battled away defensively pretty well and Luke Spokes started a lot creatively, too.  Fas looked much more like his old self finding more space to run into. We were patchy at times but started well ( for a change) , threatened and got our goal.. although Slough probably had the greater and better chances.  Their equaliser was farcical... in the 50th minute after 3 added minutes of stoppage time????  We had our worst spell in the 10 minutes after the break and true to type  promptly scored a brilliant goal at the end of it.. perfect in its execution and simplicity.  Thereafter we saw the game out a bit nervily ( for the spectators) but ultimately, successully.  I counted 6 yellows but could have been 7.  Final whistle: 5.02!! MotM for our little group either Will Henry or Luke Spokes. Almost everybody had a good game, though. Valuable 3 points.  Well done all.  Bumper crowd at 761, too.  .. so a happy Chairman.

28/8/2023 7:19 PM  #2

Re: Slough

Inspirational substitution,McClure first touch and he scores.For me Will Henry was man of the match by a country mile,he must be worth nearly twenty points a season to us.Would like to know who is the designated penalty taker as both Spokes and Windsor seemed to want to take it.Good job the ball eventually finished up in the back of the net. Surprised not to see Alex Bray in the squad.

28/8/2023 8:00 PM  #3

Agree with the comments about Will Henry, but I thought there were a handful of outstanding performances.  Nicholls worked so hard in the “Luke Russe” role (it was his forceful run that led to Slough being exposed down their left - where I thought we had the most joy ), Williams is also starting to look like a real prospect, Spokes was very good and Haines looks tailor made for that central defensive position.  Overall though a great team effort.

When the fixtures came out I thought we’d do very well to get to the end of August with 8 or 9 points, given the potential strength of our opposition and the fact we have a lot of new faces to bed in.  10 points is a GREAT effort - keep it up lads!

28/8/2023 8:46 PM  #4

Really Enjoyed todays game. Started well for once. Controlled possession. Slough were  a threat on the break and with corners, while we looked good in open play.  Their goal was a disgrace. Miles offside but we responded well.

Will Henry, Freddie Grant, Nat Williams and Will King all in contention for me but can’t argue with Mal Nicholls. MOTM is always an opinion led thing and today there were a few contenders but when you factor in he’s playing in central midfield for a team that’s trying to pass through the midfield and it’s his first start he looked like a 28 year old with 400 games behind him.

I cannot say it enough times about our academy. It is superb and is producing so many good players - not just little run outs where we are short but proper players who have an impact - I wish I knew more about the details of how we make so many players that have an impact at this level.  Both Mal this weekend and Dan Ellison last weekend have been superb.

I am very excited about the potential of this team, the ideas, the bravery, calmness along with it being so young. The best thing for me is it’s the polar opposite to what Bath City now look for, they want big boys or scrappers that want a fight, no footballers. Therefore our players should be safe 😂

Sure we will get a few punches in the chin ibut so far so good.  No coincidence that crowds continue to grow.

29/8/2023 10:48 AM  #5

I think Slough would feel hard done by, As others said, Will Henry kept us in it in the first half, plus some help from the woodwork and a clearance off the line by one of our defenders. Our penalty was well struck, but their keeper almost kept it out, but good to react and make sure the rebound ended up in the net. Some very odd yellow cards dished out for innocuous fouls/non-fouls when he let other stuff go without even a chat with the offender. I spoke to Will King after the game and he also said that the equaliser, 5 minutes gone in 3 minutes of ET before the break, was offside, with the assistant saying his view was blocked. Slough came out re-vitalised and put us under a lot of pressure early in the second half, but McClure scoring with his first touch after coming on was justice done. I thought we looked more assured with him on the pitch from then on, but credit to Slough that they kept on pushing for the 2-2 draw.

Board footera