BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22/3/2023 3:15 PM  #31

Re: Weymouth (H)

22/3/2023 4:34 PM  #32

Rambler wrote:

The Lazarus act, that began in the dying minutes of the Concord game, continues. Hooray! A win ... is a win.. is a win.  And well done to all for that.  Successful sides do create their own luck, and we seem to show resilience and a dogged capacity to create our own good fortune.... which is an attribute in itself. I rarely feel sorry for an opponent, but I thought Weymouth's luck was cruel and that that defeat must have felt like  hammer blow. .. especially as they'd offered a lot going forward. I agree with BlackpoolBluebird... the penalty, right in front of us,  wasn't as clear cut as it might have appeared to others elsewhere in the ground.
It's a rare inversion to say that I was for a change far more worried about our defensive than our offensive qualities.  We looked pretty good going forward last night.. quick, dangerous and effective... but without the lethal touch that Weymouth possessed.  Defensively we were anything but, and 2 of our 3 CBs were left floundering and a bit flat-footed on occasions.  Weymouth unsettled us from the first minute and their goal on 5 minutes was no great surprise.  We enjoyed a really good period later in the half  and then let that dominance  slip quite badly  for a crucial period in the second when they looked to have taken control of events.  I don't know whether the defensive formation was dictated by necessity or choice, but it didn't work for this armchair manager. I'm afraid I was baffled by the second substitution, too. 
Great crowd.  Well done the Weymouth faithful for the volume of their support. The self-recriminations on their Forum from some of their own fans are bitter, self-defeating and ill-deserved. MOTM  for me ( apart from R. Post ) probably Tom Mehew who did a lot of necessary and unglamorous tidying up around the back 3,  ..Ollie Tomlinson who was generally calm and efficient under fire.  Mentions, too, for Ed Williams on a good home debut and Owen W who threatened  ( apart from a silly yellow card)..  Everyone, though, deserves credit ultimately for another win in this extraordinary ( and necessary) sequence of games. Eastbourne have won their last two... Something's got to give.  Can't see that many of them travelling... but  would still  hope for anything north of 650.

“Armchair manager”? That’s quite harsh considering we have won 5/5 of our last games.

Also King was poor last night. Looked tired and sloppy. Not great body language or mentality. Jones also won the penalty to win us the game. 😂

Also congratulations to our “armchair manager” on winning his second manager of the week in a row!

22/3/2023 4:44 PM  #33

BlueBird5 wrote:

Rambler wrote:

The Lazarus act, that began in the dying minutes of the Concord game, continues. Hooray! A win ... is a win.. is a win.  And well done to all for that.  Successful sides do create their own luck, and we seem to show resilience and a dogged capacity to create our own good fortune.... which is an attribute in itself. I rarely feel sorry for an opponent, but I thought Weymouth's luck was cruel and that that defeat must have felt like  hammer blow. .. especially as they'd offered a lot going forward. I agree with BlackpoolBluebird... the penalty, right in front of us,  wasn't as clear cut as it might have appeared to others elsewhere in the ground.
It's a rare inversion to say that I was for a change far more worried about our defensive than our offensive qualities.  We looked pretty good going forward last night.. quick, dangerous and effective... but without the lethal touch that Weymouth possessed.  Defensively we were anything but, and 2 of our 3 CBs were left floundering and a bit flat-footed on occasions.  Weymouth unsettled us from the first minute and their goal on 5 minutes was no great surprise.  We enjoyed a really good period later in the half  and then let that dominance  slip quite badly  for a crucial period in the second when they looked to have taken control of events.  I don't know whether the defensive formation was dictated by necessity or choice, but it didn't work for this armchair manager. I'm afraid I was baffled by the second substitution, too. 
Great crowd.  Well done the Weymouth faithful for the volume of their support. The self-recriminations on their Forum from some of their own fans are bitter, self-defeating and ill-deserved. MOTM  for me ( apart from R. Post ) probably Tom Mehew who did a lot of necessary and unglamorous tidying up around the back 3,  ..Ollie Tomlinson who was generally calm and efficient under fire.  Mentions, too, for Ed Williams on a good home debut and Owen W who threatened  ( apart from a silly yellow card)..  Everyone, though, deserves credit ultimately for another win in this extraordinary ( and necessary) sequence of games. Eastbourne have won their last two... Something's got to give.  Can't see that many of them travelling... but  would still  hope for anything north of 650.

“Armchair manager”? That’s quite harsh considering we have won 5/5 of our last games.

Also King was poor last night. Looked tired and sloppy. Not great body language or mentality. Jones also won the penalty to win us the game. 😂

Also congratulations to our “armchair manager” on winning his second manager of the week in a row!

I think you've taken the armchair manager comment in the wrong way, Rambler is saying that he is the armchair manager.

22/3/2023 4:47 PM  #34

BlackpoolBluebird wrote:

BlueBird5 wrote:

Rambler wrote:

I think you've taken the armchair manager comment in the wrong way, Rambler is saying that he is the armchair manager.

I see. Apologies to Rambler. However I would like to think my comment about the substitution still stands.

22/3/2023 4:51 PM  #35

Thank you Blackpool Bluebird.  I was mocking myself ... certainly not Gary H!! And yes... the penalty looks much much more obvious in the highlights.  Eddie J quite understandably "enhanced" it with some grace.  No complaints from Weymouth either...Bad evening at the office for their  goalie as he just missed out on Caine B and the 2nd goal as well...

22/3/2023 4:57 PM  #36

Rambler wrote:

Thank you Blackpool Bluebird.  I was mocking myself ... certainly not Gary H!! And yes... the penalty looks much much more obvious in the highlights.  Eddie J quite understandably "enhanced" it with some grace.  No complaints from Weymouth either...Bad evening at the office for their  goalie as he just missed out on Caine B and the 2nd goal as well...

Again apologies to you Rambler.

22/3/2023 5:14 PM  #37

Gracious of you Bluebird5.  No need to. ..but good to keep the conversation polite and civilised!!

22/3/2023 8:19 PM  #38

Subs made sense to me. Joe Hanks had no impact in the second half, looked second to everything.

Will King looked a bit off the pace and lost at times but did a solid job as a wingback.

Caine came on, scored and created for Eddie to win the penalty.

Changes were brave, if we had lost then it would have been the first thing said to GH but I don’t know if you can keep using the same 11/12 players 3 times per week and expect wins. Bravery paid off, this time!

22/3/2023 8:48 PM  #39

The highlights show me that Caine's goal was far from fortunate and his work made the attack from Jones happen which created the penalty. Looked stone cold in the highlights - the lino gave it

22/3/2023 9:01 PM  #40

newfan wrote:

The highlights show me that Caine's goal was far from fortunate and his work made the attack from Jones happen which created the penalty. Looked stone cold in the highlights - the lino gave it

Great touch and strength. In another year he will be a great player.

I felt our YouTube highlights were slightly biased. Didn’t show Weymouth hitting the post in the first half (twice!) as well as some other chances they and we had!

Board footera