BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21/3/2023 11:32 PM  #21

Re: Weymouth (H)

Agree with Wellard, harsh on Weymouth who on another night could have been out of sight - we weren’t too clever at the back especially first half and we got away with it in the end. Having said that we did play well going forward and we do seem to have a “don’t panic” attitude when we go behind. New lad looks a very good addition.

21/3/2023 11:43 PM  #22

Oh yeah and Ed Williams looks like the signing of the season - superb

22/3/2023 12:03 AM  #23

I guess when you score directly from a corner you just know it is going to be your night! Chippenham were incredibly jammy tonight!
Still to win five on the bounce is an achievement at any level.
Are we starting to see something approaching an atmosphere at HP?

22/3/2023 12:44 AM  #24

I found it a strange but entertaining game from start to finish. Agree with some previous posts that Weymouth were unlucky to lose. The new signing looked a class act to me (is there room for him and McClure to start together?) I was surprised by the number of Weymouth fans who made the trip and swelled the attendance (well done Reg!) and felt sorry for those who were goaded by a group of stupid schoolchildren who were eventually moved away by the stewards who earned their money tonight. Mr Horgan must surely be odds-on for manager of the month.

22/3/2023 1:09 AM  #25

Really good game of football. Weymouth unlucky but while they are a handful going forward they are dreadful in defence.

We seem to change shape tonight (??) having 3 CB’s and I think it worked, although we looked susceptible down the wide areas.

Think over the season we have got our recruitment absolutely spot on. McClure, Windsor and Williams. Fantastic players. Dare I say it that Tomlinson is better than Tizzard?  Shows now with our performances and results.

Win the next two and the play off choir will be in full voice.  Safety achieved.

22/3/2023 9:31 AM  #26

I have to say when I saw the line-up of the starting 11, I was somewhat apprehensive about Horgs disrupting a winning team. However with the games coming thick and fast, I can see the need for squad rotation. A real battle to win the game in the last few seconds from an obvious penalty, but in my view that was a good performance. Liked to look of Ed Williams with his constant running at the Weymouth defence, and carving out chances for the front boys. The crowd was excellent for an evening game, and fair play to the huge Weymouth following - total respect to them. One question - why was the Weymouth keeper not shown a straight red for conceding the penalty ? COYMB

22/3/2023 10:29 AM  #27

toyboy wrote:

I have to say when I saw the line-up of the starting 11, I was somewhat apprehensive about Horgs disrupting a winning team. However with the games coming thick and fast, I can see the need for squad rotation. A real battle to win the game in the last few seconds from an obvious penalty, but in my view that was a good performance. Liked to look of Ed Williams with his constant running at the Weymouth defence, and carving out chances for the front boys. The crowd was excellent for an evening game, and fair play to the huge Weymouth following - total respect to them. One question - why was the Weymouth keeper not shown a straight red for conceding the penalty ? COYMB

The challenge didn't warrant a red card in my opinion, I actually thought it was soft and if not for the rain then Jones probably would't have received contact.

22/3/2023 11:34 AM  #28

In good company, only Arsenal, Ipswich and us currently have 5 wins on the bounce showing on the league tables.

22/3/2023 12:25 PM  #29

The Lazarus act, that began in the dying minutes of the Concord game, continues. Hooray! A win ... is a win.. is a win.  And well done to all for that.  Successful sides do create their own luck, and we seem to show resilience and a dogged capacity to create our own good fortune.... which is an attribute in itself. I rarely feel sorry for an opponent, but I thought Weymouth's luck was cruel and that that defeat must have felt like  hammer blow. .. especially as they'd offered a lot going forward. I agree with BlackpoolBluebird... the penalty, right in front of us,  wasn't as clear cut as it might have appeared to others elsewhere in the ground.
It's a rare inversion to say that I was for a change far more worried about our defensive than our offensive qualities.  We looked pretty good going forward last night.. quick, dangerous and effective... but without the lethal touch that Weymouth possessed.  Defensively we were anything but, and 2 of our 3 CBs were left floundering and a bit flat-footed on occasions.  Weymouth unsettled us from the first minute and their goal on 5 minutes was no great surprise.  We enjoyed a really good period later in the half  and then let that dominance  slip quite badly  for a crucial period in the second when they looked to have taken control of events.  I don't know whether the defensive formation was dictated by necessity or choice, but it didn't work for this armchair manager. I'm afraid I was baffled by the second substitution, too. 
Great crowd.  Well done the Weymouth faithful for the volume of their support. The self-recriminations on their Forum from some of their own fans are bitter, self-defeating and ill-deserved. MOTM  for me ( apart from R. Post ) probably Tom Mehew who did a lot of necessary and unglamorous tidying up around the back 3,  ..Ollie Tomlinson who was generally calm and efficient under fire.  Mentions, too, for Ed Williams on a good home debut and Owen W who threatened  ( apart from a silly yellow card)..  Everyone, though, deserves credit ultimately for another win in this extraordinary ( and necessary) sequence of games. Eastbourne have won their last two... Something's got to give.  Can't see that many of them travelling... but  would still  hope for anything north of 650.

Last edited by Rambler (22/3/2023 2:51 PM)

22/3/2023 1:38 PM  #30

Rambler wrote:

The Lazarus act, that began in the dying minutes of the Concord game, continues. Hooray! A win ... is a win.. is a win.  And well done to all for that.  Successful sides do create their own luck, and we seem to show resilience and a dogged capacity to create our own good fortune.... which is an attribute in itself. I rarely feel sorry for an opponent, but I thought Weymouth's luck was cruel and that that defeat must have felt like  hammer blow. .. especially as they'd offered a lot going forward. I agree with BlackpoolBluebird... the penalty, right in front of us,  wasn't as clear cut as it might have appeared to others elsewhere in the ground.
It's a rare inversion to say that I was for a change far more worried about our defensive than our offensive qualities.  We looked pretty good going forward last night.. quick, dangerous and effective... but without the lethal touch that Weymouth possessed.  Defensively we were anything but, and 2 of our 3 CBs were left floundering and a bit flat-footed on occasions.  Weymouth unsettled us from the first minute and their goal on 5 minutes was no geat surprise.  We enjoyed a really good period later in the half  and then let that dominance  slip quite badly  for a crucial period in the second when they looked to have taken control of events.  I don't know whether the defensive formation was dictated by necessity or choice, but it didn't work for this armchair manager. I'm afraid I was baffled by the second substitution, too. 
Great crowd.  Well done the Weymouth faithful for the volume of their support. The self-recriminations on their Forum from some of their own fans are bitter, self-defeating and ill-deserved. MOTM  for me ( apart from R. Post ) probably Tom Mayhew who did a lot of necessary and unglamorous tidying up around the back 3,  ..Ollie Tomlinson who was generally calm and efficient under fire.  Mentions, too, for Ed Williams on a good home debut and Owen W who threatened  ( apart from a silly yellow card)..  Everyone, though, deserves credit ultimately for another win in this extraordinary ( and necessary) sequence of games. Eastbourne have won their last two... Something's got to give.  Can't see that many of them travelling... but  would still  hope for anything north of 650.

I think both substitutions came because those players (Hanks & King) made their first starts in a while due to injury, why risk them beyond the 60-70minute mark.

Board footera