BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17/1/2023 3:02 PM  #21

Re: Weymouth

Another plus is no hire of training pitches, so far as I understand we have used Stanley Park, Calne, Chippenham Rugby Club, Melksham Town, Academy set up hires Stanley, and Calne  all at cost, all savings that essentially  can go into the playing budget. 

17/1/2023 5:29 PM  #22

We're both trying to look to the future of the club only we have different ideas about which way the club should go. I think replacing the grass pitch with an artificial one is a mistake and won't get anywhere near the use the club thinks it will. The new clubhouse was supposed to bring in extra income by being hired for private functions but not much of that has been happening. What we're looking at here is a massive initial cost, some unwelcome ground changes and no real benefit. Often it's better to stick rather than twisting.

17/1/2023 5:56 PM  #23

I actually think the move to 4G will benefit the club, it means our academy and mens team can train on it all the time, it means we won't incur external costs from Beversbrook/Stanley Park.

It's a big cost up front but it will benefit the club in the long run, that for sure.

This is from someone who is very much in the camp that football should be played on grass, as a former professional there was nothing worse than training or even playing on a 3G surface, I'm sure they're a lot better than when I played on them though.

17/1/2023 8:42 PM  #24

Chris43 wrote:

We're both trying to look to the future of the club only we have different ideas about which way the club should go. I think replacing the grass pitch with an artificial one is a mistake and won't get anywhere near the use the club thinks it will. The new clubhouse was supposed to bring in extra income by being hired for private functions but not much of that has been happening. What we're looking at here is a massive initial cost, some unwelcome ground changes and no real benefit. Often it's better to stick rather than twisting.

I don’t really think it’s about hiring it out.
Remember we have a vets, u18’s, Academy, walking, ability counts, 1st team and potentially a ladies teams, all paying to train and some to play else where. A huge saving.
Having these teams, as I understand  it, secures large amounts of funding/grants for the 4G.
Now whilst the bar could always be hired out more often, the match day revenue must have increased with the large bar area and allowance to drink outside on the terrace.

24/1/2023 8:43 PM  #25

I see Weymouth v Hampton &RB was called off an hour before k.o. by the same ref who passed the pitch playable at 3 p.m. Wonder who their fans will blame. Meanwhile Dulwich Hamlet k.o. put back as they were awaiting for Ebbsfleet to turn up.

Last edited by Charlie Bird (24/1/2023 8:46 PM)

Board footera