BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14/1/2023 6:20 PM  #11

Re: Weymouth

I felt sorry for the young chap and his young boy who I parked up behind on the Bristol Road. They had driven all the way from Surrey.

Not good enough from the referee.

14/1/2023 6:40 PM  #12

Poor and very amateurish by club and officials. Club getting battered on Twitter and I suppose rightfully so. 

Last edited by Reginald74 (14/1/2023 6:57 PM)

14/1/2023 7:09 PM  #13

I can't imagine the pitch was waterlogged, so on what grounds was it postponed? The overnight rain came and went earlier than forecast, and with a drying wind I would have fully expected the game to be on.

14/1/2023 8:21 PM  #14

A ref from stoke that clearly didn’t want to be there the  pitch was in ok condition, and I have heard that it is over 10 years The last time we had a match postponed due to waterlogged pitch.

14/1/2023 8:56 PM  #15

There was a time quite recently that in adverse weather conditions, the club would call on a local referee to carry out an initial pitch inspection. He would then liase with the match referee, and between them they would decide if the game could go ahead. Saved a lot of Agro in wasted travelling for the opposition, supporters and the match officials. These guys today would have still claimed their travel costs an probably their match fees - absolutely scandalous!

14/1/2023 9:36 PM  #16

It was usually down to the match referee to decide if he wanted a local referee to make the early inspection and then discuss on the phone. As I understand it the match referee knowing the visiting team had arrived was simply not prepared to give it time to dry out which given the weather situation was very likely to happen!! It left the Club looking stupid which was unfair!

16/1/2023 7:28 PM  #17

Now the dust and disgruntlement of last Saturday has settled, the whole episode just brings to  a head how timely and important a new G3/G4 playing surface will be to the Club.  We have only had two weather-related postponememts so far this season, our other interruptions have been due to Cup success.  However, the July/August drought also gave us a really dusty, bumpy playing surface right into early October.. quite beyond anything that Tony or anyone could have done to make it otherwise.  Climate change suggests these weather events/patterns are  going to grow in likelihood and frequency. Taunton have really reaped the whirlwind of an easily waterlogged pitch at the Cygnet Health Care stadium. The mind boggles at how they are going to make up their fixture deficit... currently 9 whole games adrift of Dartford & Ox City and 4 or 5 games behind the average.  They'll still be playing in June at this rate... as will their opponents!!. Heaven knows what it has done to their finances. Non League football, and the National League particularly, has been battered by the last 3 years. Never mind lofty aspirations; just surviving  is a worthy end in itself. I'm sure we'll be up for Welling tomorrow... Jordan or no Jordan. COYB

16/1/2023 8:30 PM  #18

Rambler wrote:

Now the dust and disgruntlement of last Saturday has settled, the whole episode just brings to  a head how timely and important a new G3/G4 playing surface will be to the Club.  We have only had two weather-related postponememts so far this season, our other interruptions have been due to Cup success.  However, the July/August drought also gave us a really dusty, bumpy playing surface right into early October.. quite beyond anything that Tony or anyone could have done to make it otherwise.  Climate change suggests these weather events/patterns are  going to grow in likelihood and frequency. Taunton have really reaped the whirlwind of an easily waterlogged pitch at the Cygnet Health Care stadium. The mind boggles at how they are going to make up their fixture deficit... currently 9 whole games adrift of Dartford & Ox City and 4 or 5 games behind the average.  They'll still be playing in June at this rate... as will their opponents!!. Heaven knows what it has done to their finances. Non League football, and the National League particularly, has been battered by the last 3 years. Never mind lofty aspirations; just surviving  is a worthy end in itself. I'm sure we'll be up for Welling tomorrow... Jordan or no Jordan. COYB

Taunton have to play 27 league matches in the remaining 15 weeks, assuming they go out of the FA Trophy tomorrow- or it will be more. From their point of view a good job they have got points on the board, as their pitch isn’t the best should this weather continue.

17/1/2023 11:15 AM  #19

G3/G4 pitches take longer to thaw than grass ones and they can be waterlogged. It's not the solution to weather issues people think it is. It's just changing one set of problems with another. I will concede that it means the pitch can be used more often but who's going to be paying to use it when Stanley Park is available for use?

17/1/2023 2:46 PM  #20

Point taken, Chris43.  Of course, 3/4G  pitches aren't a complete silver bullet. To take up your 3 concerns specifically:  the effects of frost/snow lingering longer on artificial surfaces  ( because they are likely to have  a lower core temperature) can supposedly be mitigated by skilful and timely application of PDV ( pure dried vacuum) salt, I believe... which obviously entails a cost but would only be required occasionally during the depths of winter.. As for the chances of waterlogging,   it can, apparently, be kept to a minimum by ensuring pitch drainage is as good as it can be at the time of construction and by good regular maintenance thereafter.
The anticipated extra revenue from the TSS 3G pitch would, I'd guess, come as much, if not more, from teams and clubs using the Clubhouse and facilities as it would simply from pitch hire.
Might be interesting to check whether Havant, Ox City or any other 3G-ers have had frost/waterlogging problems.  All I know for definite recently was that when an Oxford  United League game was called off at the Kassam Stadium ( grass) due to frost in December.. OUFC Women played on the Oxford City pitch that same afternoon.
Disclaimer: Just to be clear... I do NOT work for an artificial pitch laying company!! I'm just trying to look to the future of the Club..

Board footera