BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/9/2021 6:37 PM  #11

Re: Chelmsford City

Wellard wrote:

Poor performance.
New No3 never got into the game, was a passenger for most of it.
No midfield, Russe couldn’t win much and gave the ball away and Jackson’s hold up play and touch were terrible.
And god knows what Stern was up to, headless chicken and dead ball delivery woeful.
As someone said on another post, we really were lacking a goal scorer until Warwick came on.
Ref was terrible.

Enough said move onto the next one.

The ref was even calling Chelmsfords players by their first name. 

12/9/2021 8:21 PM  #12

Definitely a poor performance. In my opinion only Spencer Hamilton and Will Richards played ok, the rest were either below par or just plain poor. Passing was deplorable at times, and resorting to the long ball didn't work either.  We didn't seem to have a plan B after we went behind (or if we did it didn't work). I didn't think Chelmsford were much better but as usual in this league a poor performance gets punished. Also disappointed with the attendance (492).
Having said all that the team has the opportunity to put this behind them by winning at Poole next week! We all love a cup run - COYB!

13/9/2021 9:54 AM  #13

Really can't help but agree with most. Expectation goes hand in hand with success, even at this level! However, something wasn't quite right Saturday. We started the better of the two sides creating the early openings but when a poor decision goes against you so early, coupled with a hit on the counter attack you find it hard not to think the game is away from you! Positive signs however being that even at 2-0 down and not playing all that well on the day, we found a way back into the game by the half through Hanks. Their 3rd really killed the game and it was a good move and sometimes you have to just accept sides will have little moments of quality at this level but totally agree with Chipp54, Chelmsford certainly didn't look much better than the standard at this level that we should be competing with, on the day, we just didn't show our qualities until it was a little late in the day. I really liked Harry Warwick when he came on, good feet, good pace and looks like another great little find from Mike and the Staff. We go away now in the FA Cup to Poole and a chance to put this weekend in the rear view. This is going to be the real definer for me this season. Whilst we were riding the crest of the "unbeaten" tag and everyone getting excited, how we respond now is going to be massive! A tricky tie in the FA Cup against opponents we "should" handle but we all know how tough these games can be, especially away from home and then a return to the league against surprise package Concord who have started the league better than anyone would expect! Results against these two sides should really show what Chippenham are about. Defeats will happen at this level, for everyone. But if we react well and go again stronger! I can still say with great optimism, this team really has a good chance at keeping the flame of hope burning all year long! COYB 

13/9/2021 9:58 AM  #14

HisLordship wrote:

Harrumph!  The Bearded Wonder's (TBW) assessment on Saturday at 4.58 ( and before that at 3.12, 3.17 and most times thereafter).

His Lordship's Inexpert Analysis Number 2:
TBW staring doggedly at his telphone declared emphatically early on that we were set up at the back for an away game not a home game then fell between two stools.  Back 3 holding, wing-backs trying to get up the pitch, when Away they'd be falling back more, left gaping channels  between Messrs Richards, Hamilton and Parselle for CCFC to run into..... and they did, to good effect. Quite often.

Chelmsford:  Efficient, tidy with one or two quick players ( Nos 7 and 12 particularly). .. and of course, blessed with Young Charles Sheringham, scion of that fellow blue-blood,  master Edward, aka Teddy... who had a " potent" game and was rewarded with 2 goals for his pains. Awarded a soft penalty after a scrappy-ish start, they understandably grew in confidence and belief as the game progressed to the fateful 17th or thereabouts minute when Bonny Prince Charlie filleted us ( not for the first time) and tucked the ball neatly past WH.  Thereafter, they hardly looked back.  Nearly scored what would have been  the best goal of the game from a brilliant by-line cut back to Young Charlie ....and only looked remotely discomposed  in the final wobbly minutes. **One for the "I-Spy" collector ...CCFC brought on, as a  late substitute, a Number 13 whose number appeared to reflect his chronological age.  "Looks as though he's  just left a new Year 8 Induction session"  TBW  declared  resentfully nursing   his tepid Bovril.

CTFC:  not our finest hour and a half.  Barely in it.  Repeatedly exposed by speed of thought and foot, and incisive CCFC passing in the final critical 3rd... the one thing that  H&W, the better-looking side, couldn't manage.
Lost midfield grip ... if they ever really gained it.  Young Stearn poor fella had a poor one,  caught in possession repeatedly  and wanting in pace.  The goal just before half-time should have heralded the rally and a different set-up.  Despite a lively  5 or ten minutes after half time we were then cut apart again and the jig was up.  In terms of pecentages and marginal gains:  far too many hurried, aimless passes.. sometimes into touch, or into vague space and easily mopped up; too many times caught on the ball, Generally looked unable to work out what was going wrong.  Once again Young Warwick brought something.. namely directness and a hint of threat, otherwise sadly wanting at other times. A forgettable afternoon. Optimistic note:  Could we please bottle what we were doing in the first 7 or 8 minutes after half-time and reproduce more consistently. Got to the byline 2 or 3 times and threatened. Repeat dosage and all will be better was her Ladyship's ( absent at the time) advice... and usually is, especially when it concerns a Gordon's and tonic.

On a personal, Lordly note, (see Havant post), was sad that Messrs Ronnie and Matt were unable to join me  for a half-time lip-wetter (a dram of Benromach 15 Single Malt).  TBW on  chauffeuring duties confined to Bovril... hence brooding resentment. Next time perhaps? And of course any other fellow Bluebird Keyboard Warriors welcome.

Berwick Rangers - There is no way I am going toe to toe with an actual Lord! Although I must admit I found the whole thing a thumping good read and love contributions like this! I had to pop most of it in Google Translate but other than that! What insight ;) 

13/9/2021 10:36 AM  #15

Chipp54 wrote:

Definitely a poor performance. In my opinion only Spencer Hamilton and Will Richards played ok, the rest were either below par or just plain poor. Passing was deplorable at times, and resorting to the long ball didn't work either.  We didn't seem to have a plan B after we went behind (or if we did it didn't work). I didn't think Chelmsford were much better but as usual in this league a poor performance gets punished. Also disappointed with the attendance (492).
Having said all that the team has the opportunity to put this behind them by winning at Poole next week! We all love a cup run - COYB!

Agreed Chipp54 I have no doubt we will be to strong for Poole Town a club we have had the better of over the years, as for the crowd of 492, very disappointing and noticeably subdued which was understandable due to the poor performance, not sure how we can get those numbers up as I’m sure every penny counts.

13/9/2021 4:25 PM  #16

Did not see the game but this is quite a strong league  so all teams will have off days or times when they come up against a side having one of  their stronger days. We have had a decent start so agree attendance was bit disappointing.

14/9/2021 5:05 PM  #17

I thought the new left-back on loan had a decent first outing for us. Don't think he did much wrong. Dubious penalty but had it been at the other end I would have been shouting for the ref to give us a penalty. I just think they looked more in control and dangerous with Teddy's son a constant threat, unlike our two front men who were well marshalled out of the game by their defenders. I do agree Warwick was a better fit upfront with a bit more energy, height and pace

Though great to score just before the break and get back to 1-2, we just didn't deal with the slope and the wind down towards the cricket club end in the second half and constantly over hit long balls again and again that were aimless or just too long or hard for any attacker to get hold of. The killer third goal was a chance well taken against some rather timid pressure and ball retention without attacking purpose. 

Luke Russe got MOTM which surprised me because I thought he and Stern both had poor games and our lack of control and distribution in the midfield was a bit part of the problem. Richards was excellent as was Bray as per normal in my eyes.

Though we might have snatched a draw at the end, 2-3 flattered us really and I honestly don't think we deserved a point. If Poole had us watched they wont be too worried.

Agree the size of the crowd was poor despite a decent away turnout for such a long trip from Chelmsford. Unless we start to play more attractive and cogent football the home crowd wont change much I'm afraid

14/9/2021 8:31 PM  #18

Reginald74 wrote:

Agreed Chipp54 I have no doubt we will be to strong for Poole Town a club we have had the better of over the years

We only just got past then at the same stage last season

15/9/2021 12:24 PM  #19

newfan wrote:

I thought the new left-back on loan had a decent first outing for us. Don't think he did much wrong.

Interesting, as I thought he was largely anomalous and struggled to get into the game.
Didn’t do much wrong agreed, but apart from a early blocked strike on goal, offered every little attacking threat and a couple of time s 2nd half he didn’t complete for the ball with the bench shouting at him.
No surprise to me that he was subbed.
Put it down to Nervs but didn’t show the qualities of a league player.

16/9/2021 11:05 AM  #20

I feel for the lad, coming in to replace arguably the most exciting and quality left back the club has seen in modern memory in Vince was always going to be one hell of a task and one I am sure Michael didn't even know he had in front of him. There was no way for him to know that Vinny has been the standout performer this season and the reason his move was so bittersweet is because I can't genuinely remember a left back that excited me the way Vince did. You got the impression something could happen every time he went near the football and that's a rarity. Maybe we need to accept that and recognise that Michael's biggest fault Saturday was that he is not Vince Harper? I hope he grows into it over the next few games, a real test awaits against Poole, not to be taken lightly, they are a good mob

Board footera