BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22/3/2021 3:09 PM  #1

National South 2021-2022 to start on...

14th August 2021

22/3/2021 7:25 PM  #2

Re: National South 2021-2022 to start on...

Interesting to see Grant and Pope both released by Bath, Grant a left back and Pope def/midfielder, Pope ex of Hereford but never really featured before his move to Bath previously was at Weston so imagine our assistant manager will be in touch. 

22/3/2021 9:13 PM  #3

Reginald74 wrote:

Interesting to see Grant and Pope both released by Bath, Grant a left back and Pope def/midfielder, Pope ex of Hereford but never really featured before his move to Bath previously was at Weston so imagine our assistant manager will be in touch. 

You might well be right Reg. Personally, I'd like to see Jay Foulston occupying the left back position. 

22/3/2021 9:19 PM  #4

Agree 100%

23/3/2021 8:36 AM  #5

Well that start date should give our Manager ample time to build a competitive squad for next season. I honestly cannot see too many of last season's squad being retained, apart from Parceille of course, Joe Hanks, possibly Marlon Jackson, and hopefully Will Richards will be back with us. From the few games that I watched last season, I'm afraid we looked lightweight with no physical presence or height, and I'm surprised a manger of Mike Cook's experience seemed to not realized that those are key attributed for NLS level - let's wait and see

23/3/2021 11:40 AM  #6

Far too many players not been mentioned here as people that are vital we retain. Our goalkeeper being one. Apart from his token sending off this season, he hasn't put a foot wrong between the sticks and with no signs of slowing down, remains arguably one of the best in the league. Eddie Jones! He has been outstanding this season down the right hand side, there isn't much the man doesn't do, he defends, he tracks back, he gets into good attacking positions and more often that not finds himself on the overlap which is so rare for a full back to be able to do a bit of everything well. Brad Ash has been pivotal to us with his work rate, goals and energy he brings to the press, it allows us to play higher up the park and links the game so well between the midfield and forwards. Before our critique was we by-passed the midfield and played hoofball to the channels or up to a big man. We have a player now that makes those runs and also can get the ball on the deck and play football and he hasn't even been mentioned. Honestly, I would be surprised if there were many wholesale squad changes. These are just a few names that spring to mind. What about Russe, Hanks, Hamilton (Who we haven't seen the best of yet through injuries). There are a lot of good players in the squad and well coached and with a bit of time to put something together without constant COVID disruption, I truly believe we can do good things with the squad that has been assembled. 

23/3/2021 11:46 AM  #7

I would imagine there will be a big turnover of players Toyboy, agree we certainly will need a lot of strengthening all round, conceded to many and very shot shy. Hopefully we can keep Parselle Puddy Hanks Gunner Ash and hopefully Rigg will be back but a busy summer I think. 

23/3/2021 4:04 PM  #8

Indeed it will be a busy Summer Reginald74, and whereas I agree with Voice to a certain extent that Eddie Jones looked good (totally forgot Eddie) I felt Russe, Hamilton and Greenslade did not set the place alight in my view. I'm still of the opinion we need height and muscle in the squad, which I do not think we have currently.

25/3/2021 4:41 PM  #9

Trouble is you will always have two sides to the coin. Whilst I completely agree that strengthening the squad is always priority number one. Some of the players cited confuse me. I mean let's take Spence Hamilton. Looked class pre-season, coming into the start of the campaign, looked to be forging a good partnership with Kieran Parselle. Then injury came along, we had to go and find Dyer, Harrison etc on loan to cover and then as he was returning to fitness, the season stopped. Same with Greenslade. Injured when he arrived at the club however, came with the title of "Best LB in the League" and certainly in his debut against Chelmsford and games thereafter really started to show why, thought he was immense away at Welling as well. Pinging balls for fun, big work rate and a proper defender in the tackle as well. Then before we saw the best of Danny, season ends. Luke Russe, if you are noticing a holding midfielder on the pitch, something is going wrong. He is there to add cover to the defence, link the midfield and hold things down which I think he does impeccably well. Russe covers more ground than anyone, he fights tooth and nail in the middle and a lot of what allows others to flourish is off the back of a Luke Russe. I would expect to see all three of those back in the Summer and honestly, Many more to add to that list as well. We have a decent little squad there and in a league that is thoroughly competitive and some big teams in it. We really need to ensure that we are behind them as they gel behind Mike's philosophy and desire to get us up the league table. Mike has an ethos of how he wants a "Chippenham" team to play and these are the players he has chosen to do it now. We have to give it a chance, Rome wasn't built in a day. All our big achievements as a club haven't happened overnight. We sometimes need to sit through the rebuilding phase and watch as results come to fruition. Let us not forget this brand of football put us top of the form table for 11 straight games at the end of the 2019/20 season 2020/21 was a total ******** write off and now we need to be fully pulling together by the start of 2021/22 for the club to be a success on and off the pitch! 

25/3/2021 8:37 PM  #10

Just hope we don't have so many loan signings.

Board footera