BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02/8/2020 8:47 AM  #1

Match day parking

Anyone seen Bristol rd, the council have put a cycle path in,surely affecting match days.

02/8/2020 1:52 PM  #2

Re: Match day parking

Its totally ridiculous. The club and all supporters should be writing to local councillors representing the area and the MP. I'm all in favour of cycle lanes but why there? 
melody.thompson@wiltshire.gov.uk
david.gill666@btinternet.com
Cllr.sandiewebb@gmail.com

michelle.donelan.mp@parliament.uk

How much did this cost and when was the grant approved? When was the highways alteration authorised?

Can cyclists ride in both directions on the lane? If there is a car accident on the road which damages the bollards who is resposible for replacing them?

02/8/2020 5:25 PM  #3

From what I have seen there are no parking restrictions in place on either side of Bristol Road, so I am sure people will park as normal

Have to agree the new cycle track is a waste of money and has been poorly thought out

03/8/2020 8:00 AM  #4

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but as this a fundamental change to the layout of the road, does not Planning permission come into place ?  I have not seen any Planning Permission notifications on the Bristol Road, which is required by Law to inform the householders of the change of use. Witnessed a near collision yesterday morning when two bright sparks were weaving in and out of the Posts, and one lad clipped a Post and feel off his bike, right in the path of an on-coming vehicle that I was behind. The guy  had the presence of mind to hold back, and was able to stop in good time - not every driver is that switched on, and someone will get hurt. Something needs to be done now, as this is a disaster certain to happen. Will's letter to the Gazette was spot on - perhaps this is an opportunity for James Gray, our self-elected 'Man of the People' to get involved, even though Chippenham is not his patch anymore I believe ?

03/8/2020 9:58 AM  #5

This cycleway is a knee jerk reaction to the government distributing cash to encourage cycling during the pandemic. I have written to my councillor about how pointless and ill thought this plan is, but have not received a reply ( wrote over a week ago, she must be very busy) . There is a perfectly adequate cycle way which can be used in both directions through the Donkey field without having to spend the money on this. Maybe the money would be better spent enforcing the prevention of parking on current cycle lanes. I was amused to watch a cyclist deliberately knock the mirror off a van parked across the cycle lane in Park Lane. The Football Club should protest in the strongest way about this. After all the progression with the stadium, the good work could be undone by a council that does care, oh sorry Wiltshire where everyone matters, joke.

04/8/2020 11:44 AM  #6

I sent an e mail to Nina, local councillor, which she acknowledged and forwarded to the Council, it would appear the Council have had many complaints from local residents. However, it would appear that we are going to be saddled (no pun intended) with the problem for at least 6 months.  I thought he G&H would have carried an article on the story, but at the moment nothing.

04/8/2020 12:17 PM  #7

inthebox wrote:

I sent an e mail to Nina, local councillor, which she acknowledged and forwarded to the Council, it would appear the Council have had many complaints from local residents. However, it would appear that we are going to be saddled (no pun intended) with the problem for at least 6 months.  I thought he G&H would have carried an article on the story, but at the moment nothing.

And the rest I bet there's nothing in the budget for its removal.

04/8/2020 10:50 PM  #8

How many residents hated match days, they couldn't move along there, bet there happy now.
Come on,this was put in to stop all the parking match days end of.

Last edited by Pinkman (05/8/2020 8:20 AM)

04/8/2020 11:00 PM  #9

frank wrote:

From what I have seen there are no parking restrictions in place on either side of Bristol Road, so I am sure people will park as normal

Have to agree the new cycle track is a waste of money and has been poorly thought out

Don't see how anyone can park on the club side of the road. I wouldn't fancy plowing through the bollards nor parking between them and the centre of the road.

05/8/2020 7:36 AM  #10

On the contrary Pinkman, the Bristol Road residents hate the new scheme. I have a workmate who lives dead opposite HP, and apparently the residents are demanding a meeting with the Council to understand why they were not consulted. They cannot park on the kerb-side now, for fear of having their wing mirrors knocked off, due to the reduced width of the road. That road is now dangerous to all. I did notice last night though, that some hastily prepared signs have been attached to the lamp posts on the cycle lane side - probably retrospective Planning Permission !

Board footera