BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24/3/2020 5:22 PM  #1

Season over?

According to Twitter sphere the FA have pulled the plug on leagues at step 5 and 6, their season is over. If that’s the case then expect steps above to follow suit over next few days.

24/3/2020 11:09 PM  #2

Re: Season over?

Charlie Bird wrote:

According to Twitter sphere the FA have pulled the plug on leagues at step 5 and 6, their season is over. If that’s the case then expect steps above to follow suit over next few days.

Not so...yet! See this article from the BBC website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52026302
The FA have yet to make a decision, but my guess is that this is only delaying the inevitable. I can’t see football from the Southern League downwards continuing this season. Not sure about Steps 1 and 2, though. 
This statement from the Isthmian League also makes for interesting reading: https://www.betvictoristhmian.co.uk/isthmian-league-statement-24th-march-2020-61677

25/3/2020 6:02 PM  #3

The National League released a statement last night saying they are not ending the season. They intend to finish the season whatever, be it in June, July, August or even September and then run straight into season 2020-2021. However, if the EFL decide to end their season they might think again. Is this a sensible decision? Thoughts?

25/3/2020 10:02 PM  #4

I think this all depends on when the season could restart, and nobody knows that yet. I think the National League statement is designed just to keep their options open, just in case things don't get as bad as some are predicting. If they resume at the end of June clubs could play twice a week until its done, then have a short break before starting 2020/2021. The start of next season could also be delayed to help finish this one, but its all up in the air at the moment. We will see. 

26/3/2020 1:15 AM  #5

Season over. Cook kept us up by mid March. Impressive.

26/3/2020 4:46 PM  #6

All non league football (apart from the National League) is to end immediately. All results are expunged meaning there will be no promotion or relegation from those leagues, including the Southern and Isthmian. One can only assume the money grabbing teams at the upper echelons of the National League are holding out for promotion to League Two. 

Last edited by Charlie Bird (26/3/2020 4:52 PM)

26/3/2020 5:20 PM  #7

Wouldn't blame Barrow if that was the case - four points clear and their best chance of Football League in a very long time?

26/3/2020 6:15 PM  #8

Charlie Bird wrote:

All non league football (apart from the National League) is to end immediately. All results are expunged meaning there will be no promotion or relegation from those leagues, including the Southern and Isthmian. One can only assume the money grabbing teams at the upper echelons of the National League are holding out for promotion to League Two. 

Doesn't it say below national league north and south

26/3/2020 6:22 PM  #9

Yes you are right North and South still not cancelled ( I was being generic). I guess if the season goes to June, July or longer clubs with no chance of promotion ( such as us) could decide not to extend players’ contracts beyond May and if they were called upon to play games after that date field a side comprised of non-contract players, academy or even supporters because even if you lost every remaining game 20-0 there will be NO relegation from National South and the club could protect itself financially from end of May.

27/3/2020 8:57 AM  #10

Would be ironic if Collier got the push on the basis of results that actually didn't matter this season.

Board footera