BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01/3/2020 12:48 AM  #1

Well done Mike Cook

He's done brilliantly. 4 wins in the last 5 games. Steered away from relegation. Brilliant stuff.

01/3/2020 5:22 PM  #2

Re: Well done Mike Cook

Wonder if the club are still looking for a replacement?

01/3/2020 9:43 PM  #3

I don’t think they were ever looking for a replacement just being cautious with the length of contract. Mike has done a sterling job since coming in and personally I think safety all but guarantees another year contract for Mike and the Staff.

01/3/2020 11:21 PM  #4

Got to feel a bit sorry for Horgs, looks left out on the bench. Be interesting to see how things pan out next season

01/3/2020 11:36 PM  #5

We aren't safe yet and I will bet the Chairman has a few other phone numbers still to ring. Cook needs to bring in a top class striker as evidence that he wants the job and can produce a team that will be top half of the table at least fighting for a playoff place and not where we are now. In his interviews he is always referring to talking to other players who need to be persuaded to join, I'd be wanting to see that happen, crucial though our loanees have been. Of course he also might want more money than is on offer to be the boss and to build the team he wants next season if he feels he has done the job asked of him. So far, if we ignore the Dartford game, he's certainly making a strong case to be given the job automatically,however. Would Collier have got this turnaround? Maybe so, but a different approach and another set of connections have definitely helped the team and its morale and confidence. I think as the weather improves and we can play a more fluid passing style than is possible on our heavy winter pitch we will see some more pleasing football and results at least at home.

Last edited by newfan (01/3/2020 11:39 PM)

01/3/2020 11:42 PM  #6

TheVoice wrote:

I don’t think they were ever looking for a replacement just being cautious with the length of contract. Mike has done a sterling job since coming in and personally I think safety all but guarantees another year contract for Mike and the Staff.

Yes, it's been much improved (especially the past couple weeks) and it would be quite a catastrophe to finish below every single team down there (I'm assuming Hungerford are doomed) given our our performances and confidence of recent games.

But I'm still sure the week or so after his unveiling there was quotes from the board in the g&h along the lines of "he's caretaker until the end of the season, we'll looking for a new manager for next season but if Cook does well he'll might get it". Hardly filled me with confidence at the time.

01/3/2020 11:49 PM  #7

newfan wrote:

Cook needs to bring in a top class striker

I have been quite concerned that he hasn't managed to bring in many players since his appointment, if I had a pound for each player we've apparently 'just missed out on' I could buy a season ticket for next year.

It's less of a worry now with our good form, and hopefully as many were seemingly put off by our league position it might be a bit easier now?

02/3/2020 10:18 AM  #8

James wrote:

TheVoice wrote:

Best buddies with Mike now. Have you got over Mark going 😂😂

Oh look another C**T, 

No, like a lot of supporters, I feel really bad for Mark and feel a degree of empathy with a man who gave us seven years of his career, took us out of a league many of us never thought we would leave, made us cry tears of joy as we lifted a league championship that I am sure many Chippenham supporters thought they would never see. 

I think Mike has done a cracking job since coming in, said it many times that everyone in this story, board, new management would be judged on results and it would seem a couple of draws, a couple of defeats and four very good wins are good enough results in a lot of eyes to justify the board decision. Do I think we would have got the results with Mark? Yes I do, I think he would have kept us safe. But this kind of comment once again proves that you are nothing more than a scared little boy (or even more pathetic, a scared man) who would never make this kind of comment in person but waits til he is back in his bedroom nice and safe. 

Echo the original point of this post, Well done Mike Cook. However, some seem to still want to continue to throw comments in about Mark and supporters feelings towards that decision. Are you sure you are over it? You're the one living in the past here. 

02/3/2020 2:17 PM  #9

His remit was to keep the club up. If he doesn't do that then he's gone, he said that in his first interview.

If he does keep us up though then it'll be worth keeping him on. I've not been to the last 5 or so games so I've not seen if anything has changed regarding the style of football, effort etc.

02/3/2020 2:33 PM  #10

BlackpoolBluebird wrote:

His remit was to keep the club up. If he doesn't do that then he's gone, he said that in his first interview.

If he does keep us up though then it'll be worth keeping him on. I've not been to the last 5 or so games so I've not seen if anything has changed regarding the style of football, effort etc.

He has done well mate, a few similar results and same old story in the first couple of games but the team is looking resilient and hard to beat, defending very well and it would seem that the "Cook Way" is starting to come across as evident. We are playing good football and creating a lot of chances. We do seem to lack a little in the final third but scoring goals doesn't instantly become easier with the change of manager and ethos. Defences are still hard to break down and our striking options with Pratty out, Jarvis recovering and Zebroski and Hopper are looking a little sparse. We need that 15+ a year striker and Cook seems confident that it's Jarvis however, with his injury problems this season and now adapting to his sleep pattern destroyed forever (Again congrats Jarv) he is like the rest of the squad a "work in progress". However, with recent results they are clearly a sign of the players buying into the ethos of the new management team. You were one of the people at the time sceptical of removing Collier, as was I however, this isn't about that. We all have our opinions and the fact this move is working currently makes me happier than most as my big fear wasn't losing Collier but losing our identity of the last seven years. Losing a man that helped sculpt the club in the way it is now and all of that would be for nothing if the gamble didn't pay off. So far the gamble is paying off and long may that continue. Cook has come in and taken a difficult situation in his stride and all credit goes to him. Doesn't mean people are kissing his ass or fickle, everyone wanted him to succeed and hopefully his first remit is a success and then I think it's definite proof he is the man to take us forward next season. The tactical switch against St Albans, in my opinion won us the game. Before Haines came on I really didn't see us forcing the equaliser and genuinely when the change was made I thought WTF! Haines is playing as a striker and then when I was watching it in motion I was like "F**K, that really makes sense!!" To not only identify that as an option but have the balls to do it in a game was inspired. I remember being away from home in 2016/17 chasing the league, 2 down and Mark threw Will Richards up top as that Target Man with Sands and Pratt coming off him and we won the game 3-2. Sometimes fortune favours the bold and Mike can literally be lorded for the change and those 3 points are his. He will palm the credit off on the team but in reality that change won the game for us. If that means I am kissing his arse or whatever, he better pull his cacks down and prepare for the lips because I thought it was very clever and shows a real tactical head when we were having a tough time forcing that killer ball. Personally I think Mike has done enough so far to show that he can compete at this level and that the team are playing well under his guidance. We have good players here and if he can add a little to the squad next season, then he is the man for the job in my opinion. Haines, Twine, Russe, Foulston all on loan with Pratt and Zeb arguably looking in the Golden Years of their careers he is going to need a strong recruitment plan in place and if that is there, coupled with National League South safety, then he needs to be given the keys to the kingdom. 

Board footera