BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26/2/2020 12:44 PM  #21

Re: Concord - Home

I think if we are looking for players to come in for next season. We are going to need to firstly have a definitive decision regarding the manager. Mike has come in on a "Caretaker" basis and was told his success in the role this season would determine his place in line for next upon signing. Well so far I would say he is doing well. He has galvanised the playing squad, clearly there is progress in what he is trying to implement which was always going to take time after several years of playing for the same man in Mark, he has given a little freedom to some expressive players with his shape and the way the team is set up and personally I think he is going to oversee a successful end to the season after in some people's mind, a little uncertainty. 

Then of course we need to look at where to recruit. Mike and his staff (if they are the ones) clearly have some experience in the game and have some clubs under the belt where I am sure they will have good contacts. Hungerford going down is not something I wanted to see however, it's a local side with players going to be around the area and looking to stick in the division. Conor Lynch and Liam Ferdinand both have goals in them as strikers, a tricky winger... Zidan Akers has always looked fairly dangerous, tall, quick, skills, he seems to have quite an interesting stock and I imagine a few clubs might well be in for him. Matt Jones a former player of ours in the Southern League days seems to be getting on REALLY well of late with Jay Foulston no doubt heading back to Newport at the end of the year, that left back slot might be up for discussion again. Ross Stearn, big talk of him earlier in the year, his contract is up at the end of the year and is very good friends with a few of our players, particularly George Rigg. How many of the loan players are we going to get back, Haines, Twine seem to be knocking on the Swindon door, but if they get promoted, budget will be there but game time may not, youth might be given another year, but will still need to play football. Same with Russe, contracted to Bristol Rovers, but will definitely want to play football and looks an absolute Chippenham player at the moment. One of the first over to the crowd, loves the aura, I can see him in the shirt again given half a chance from his parent club. At the moment, it's all on the players that are there to show they should be next year, wherever we are and whoever is leading us. 

Last edited by TheVoice (26/2/2020 12:52 PM)

26/2/2020 8:46 PM  #22

I guess some of that might depend on if Bath go up.

26/2/2020 10:21 PM  #23

Voice, if we are to believe a previous post about us leaving behind the Conf South we are not going to be looking at players who have been plying their trade at a club relegated. We will be looking at better, depending on who is retained, need a goalscorer as a minimum and that will cost. Twine may well finish up our top scorer, mind you Jarvis was put on the back burner for 6 weeks,reason still unknown which remains one of the seasons many mysteries. Wealdstone and Havant up for me.

27/2/2020 8:03 AM  #24

All this talk presupposes our existing "best" players will automatically sign on again, some may well get better offers and/or want to move on for other reasons. Some might be deemed surplus to requirements if we bring in others

27/2/2020 9:56 AM  #25

Good players play at relegated clubs Reginald, especially when placed in a better side. Bath won't go up, Wealdstone I think have all but secured the role of Champions, there aren't many that look like they can slow them down. Bath will be very aware that if they go up it means more expenditure and having to replace an ageing side of which is going to really demotivate the current squad knowing promotion would effectively find the majority chasing new clubs and deals. Besides, there's only a couple of their players I would even want and we can't take Tom Smith twice ;) 

27/2/2020 1:47 PM  #26

And why won't Bath go up?
Their squard is largely made up of young loans with, as you say, ageing Players, Artus, Brunt, Ball, Clarke etc...
If It came their way, they'd never turn it down. Although it would make the potential ground share more of an issue, should they get approval to redevelop.

Last edited by Wellard (27/2/2020 1:56 PM)

27/2/2020 2:31 PM  #27

I think for two reasons Wellard. One, I think the majority of that squad know they would be paving their own exit should Bath get promoted. With the exception of Raynes, Brunt, Smith and possibly Adam Mann. That squad is absolute relegation fodder without massive additions. They will be swapped out because they aren't blessed with huge financial backing and I am fairly sure the majority of these players know they would essentially be playing to seal their exit, they aren't good enough for the National League. Secondly I don't think Bath are going to win the League outright and I also think they have serious history of bottling the bigger games and the playoffs will be a classic case of that. Anyone of that top 7 could beat the other, but when you look at Bath's results versus those sides. They don't stack up well. The run in consists of them having to play Havant, Slough, Chelmsford, Dartford, Weymouth, even the less tricky games will have an added spice of the fight for survival. Form is key going into the playoffs and invariably are won more often than not by an exceptional side, or the team that has got in there with momentum. I guess we will see in time but for me. Wealdstone go up as Champions and I still fancy Havant for the playoffs. They just seem to know how to get it done. 

Board footera