BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18/2/2020 11:58 AM  #1

Welling (Away)

Well, it's back to London area for the travelling Blue Army and this time it is Welling United. Earlier in the season amongst our 11 game unbeaten run, Welling were the recipients of a very fortunate 0-0 draw at Chippenham and many stepped away from the game really unsure how we had not not claimed all 3 points. Roll on a couple of months and as predicted Welling were very much in the relegation conversation until they have found a little form lately and accelerated away from the drop zone such is the case with this league. If you need an example of that 6 points in 2 games have lifted us from 21st to 17th and with 15th place on offer should we win and results go our way here.

Both teams are coming into the game on a high. Welling having a worst Christmas period than us with 5 defeats in a row and then suddenly out of nowhere they started winning picking up 13 points in 6 games and taking them away from a very dangerous position and putting them 13th in the league and 10 points off the playoffs, again such is that nature of the league we are in. Chippenham of course recording back to back wins for the first time in the league this term with our win over Maidstone and coupled with our win at Hemel, 6 points has pulled us away in terms of position in 17th but still hover dangerously above the drop zone. However, as with the opposite, a win this weekend could see us within touching distance of our opponents with games against St Albans and Concord on the radar, Mike must be looking to take a good amount of points from these fixtures and we are looking hard to beat at the moment. 

Pratty of course we know is missing and George Rigg took a few nasty bangs at the weekend with 3 challenges all on him resulting on his early removal from the game. What a contribution from George, a yellow card for a tackle on him, followed by red, followed by a second red card and a penalty. He didn't look too pretty after the game on Saturday. Squad is assembling nicely now with Ryan Case and Alex Bray both playing minutes on Saturday and will be hoping to be involved again, Nat Jarvis started the game on Saturday completing his road to recovery. Of course, we know the situation with Karnell, as far as I know he is still under suspension and will play no part in Saturday's proceedings. 

Personally away from home, this is never going to be a walk in the park but, if we set up with the same guile and determination we did against Hemel and Maidstone I think we will be very hard to break down again. Welling's strength is not their ability to score goals but their ability to stop teams getting out of sight, this should suggest the game is going to again be a very tight affair settled by the odd goal. Both of our wins coming 1-0 in recent weeks dose bode well for us, two clean sheets is just as important as the goals in terms of performance even if not points. All evidence points to a draw, I am however feeling a little more optimistic and am going for another win on the road. 2-0 to the Chippenham. 

Looking forward to making this trip been a while since I have visited Welling, hope to see you all there.  

20/2/2020 3:29 PM  #2

Re: Welling (Away)

IMO our two wins have been laboured and involved a bit of luck that’s been missing most of the season.

Win Saturday and I’ll have a bit more belief. If Welling’s discipline could self destruct then that would be great.

20/2/2020 8:54 PM  #3

Agree with the luck bit, I keep hearing it evens out itself over time and the last few weeks we had more than our share thankfully . Welling have improved of late and earned some points but so have we, score draw for me. Entertaining I wouldn’t think so. 

22/2/2020 10:48 AM  #4

In case you didn't see there is a pitch inspection so check before you see off

22/2/2020 4:55 PM  #5

HT down 1-0 44min goal to Welling.  COYB

22/2/2020 6:09 PM  #6

FT lost 1-0

22/2/2020 6:39 PM  #7

And the teams round us won

22/2/2020 8:27 PM  #8

Without stating the obvious, our undoing, if the unthinkable did happen and we went down, will definitely have been our inability to stick the ball in the back of the net.

22/2/2020 9:05 PM  #9

No Chambers, TOE or Whelan means little creativity.

Gunner, Rigg, Russe are runners, nothing more.  People crying out for Jarvis is pointless without any service.

Twine and Bray are not the answer and will be dropping down the leagues in the next couple of years.  Poor players and lazy recruitment IMO.

We are in trouble and I don’t think we have the contacts with our new management to get a top signing.  That Braintree game at the end of the season is looking tastey

24/2/2020 10:58 AM  #10

I am sorry but you are wrong in this case. The creativity was more than there on Saturday we were creating chances and could have arguably had 5 or 6 if not for the sadly all to familiar combination of shit refereeing and misfiring strikers. It was a shame because the performance was not terrible. It becomes some what of a theme of the conversations at the moment sadly and the manager cannot constantly harp on about it but as supporters, we can! The standard of officiating for the level of football is absolutely horrendous. Every little 50/50, every little decision, 2 blatant penalties turned down, a serious shout for a straight red with Zebroski intentionally pulled down whilst through on goal straight from the kick off. 

When these decisions go against you, it's almost impossible to succeed and to their credit Mike, Hosk, Marc and Horgs did well to contain it to just the one yellow after the game whilst having a chat with a less than approachable referee. You can really tell that the patterns of play that are being worked on in training are paying off, little routines and works and I genuinely think that we are looking OK at the moment. Chances don't get missed forever, Jarv and Zeb won't suddenly have forgotten where the onion bag is and as long as we keep creating chances and defending well, we are always going to be dangerous. 

I don't think we are in trouble, a win Tuesday puts us 15th in the League. A couple of wins against Concord and St Albans and suddenly we are right up in the middle table mix. There are no easy games and both Concord and St Albans will pose problems especially the latter coming off the back of two away wins against Bath and Havant! Concord will be coming Tuesday with a side with one eye definitely on the FA Trophy Quarter Final on Saturday. Let's hope that is prioritised over a game against little Chippenham. 

Board footera