BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20/1/2020 10:59 AM  #1

Havant & Waterlooville (Home)

Well, this Saturday marks the return of the Hawks to The TS Stadium, the last time Havant came here was the very first day of our very first season in the National League South after both teams were promoted into the division with Chippenham winning the Southern League Premier and Havant & Waterlooville crowned champions of the Isthmian Premier in 2016/17. That day Chippenham bemoaned a lack of composure in front of goal and we failed to take our chances against Havant who that year would go on to miraculously secure promotion to the National League winning the National South on the last day with a dramatic win against Concord to narrowly pip Dartford to the title. 

Fast forward a few years and the clubs are back in the same division however, very different ends of the table. Havant are chasing a 2nd National League South title and currently lie 4th in the league 11 points off top however, with 3 games in hand it's all to play for at Westleigh Park right now. A weekend slip to leaders Wealdstone going down 4-2 after leading twice will surely see Havant touchdown in Chippenham very keen to pile more misery on the Blue Army with another 90th minute concession costing the Bluebirds all 3 points against Dulwich on Saturday at Champion Hill. This unfortunately all too familiar story for the travelling supporters meant heading back to their respective homes for the first time with Chippenham in the relegation places as results conspired against us to leave Chippenham in the drop zone. 

So Saturday's game becomes important again for all the wrong reasons. A win could propel Chippenham from 21st to 18th and leave us only 3 points away from 15th such is the nature of this league. However, defeat (and that seems very likely when the form book is taken into account) and we could find ourselves in a good amount of trouble with games against Dartford, Hemel and Maidstone all providing massive tests before games against Welling and St Albans which is where I think our season will be defined. Dartford have found form under King as we thought they might, Hemel whilst not looking good are getting results and Maidstone will be seeking retribution for the game at the Gallagher, take Havant into that and I would suggest we would be lucky to see 3/4 points comes from that spell (despite 3 of those being home games). We need to scrap for everything now, every single point is going to be vital, every goal, every mistake is going to be under the microscope. Cook has been tasked with keeping Chippenham in the league and the majority felt we were already going to do so under Collier so for the new regime to now guide us down in the 17 games given would be a real kick in the unmentionables to the supporters and no doubt the board. 

Havant will bring with them the usual threats, a lot of ex league players that are maybe into their golden years such as Fogden and Kedwell and ridiculously talented players such as Ayunga, Magri and Deacon that make up one of the very toughest sides in the league. Again former Bath City and Chippenham tormentor Anthony Straker will prowling down the left hand side looking to get balls into the box. 

In my opinion and seemed to be a general consensus of the majority of Chippenham supporters in attendance, we handled this lot very well last time out at their place. They didn't look like this all conquering, feared team that many assumed Havant would be given their financial clout and league standing however, we still didn't get the job done. We can feel hard done by that a very dubious penalty and a stonewall offside went against us that day but that is football. The scoreline still read 2-1 Havant despite the referee claiming to have made a mistake, despite their manager stating we deserved more, we still ended up coming away pointless. We can handle this lot again. Kedwell is a big lump of an unfit striker and his sole contribution these days is cheap tricks and gamesmanship and he can strike a penalty I guess. Fogden will try and run things from the midfield spraying passes left and right to bring the full backs into the game. Neutralise Fogden, the car has no engine. Keep Ayunga quiet and most people seem to have his card now in terms of what he is bringing and there is no reason we cannot test this defence again. Not forgetting in the first half at their place, we could have easily been 2-0 at the whistle had we taken two clear cut chances.

My heart says that Chippenham will pick up the win here to really lift the mood around the camp. My head tells me however, if I had a tenner left in the bank and had to place a bet, it would be going on Havant so let's set Heart vs Head and go for a 2-2 draw to continue the unbeaten run under Cook. 

COYMB 

20/1/2020 11:33 AM  #2

Re: Havant & Waterlooville (Home)

Interesting Voice, I travelled to Havant and we were very unlucky to come away pointless, Havant do have good away form but for me nothing for us to worry about, I expect squad additions this week, Avery Glos big centre back looks a obvious one as he has been released. New manager syndrome home game v one of the big clubs who play on Tues at Dulwich it’s a 3 pointer no doubt. 

20/1/2020 11:44 AM  #3

Avery wouldn't be the worst signing in the world, experienced at the level, by no means a way forward but sometimes when you have to plug a gap, experience can count for so much when it comes down to it. Interestingly I also saw they have released Jennison Myrie Williams, a tricky player that can play both wide and up the top of the park. Kind of like a Nick McCootie just with much better feet and a little more composed in the 18 yard box, wouldn't mind seeing either of these men at Chippenham. We need to give Russe a little time to bed in however, Luke Haines will surely be looking at getting back as Swindon Town's medical team do their thing in getting the first team players back to fitness. Maybe that could be an option as well. We need a centre half, we need a striker that will get among the goals and arguably could use another option in the midfield as well so hopefully the board will get behind the necessary changes and go for staying in this league over a drop and rebuild  

20/1/2020 12:05 PM  #4

FA cup winnings sat in the club bank, Wil Richards would have been a big wage so I would expect to see at least two or three in. 

20/1/2020 12:26 PM  #5

I can see us going for Sam Avery, even if just to replace Will Richards, there must be money in the wage budget.

20/1/2020 12:37 PM  #6

Realistically it depends how much of the FA Cup "Money" is sat in the club account or how much of this has gone to other projects. The Chairman will HAVE to have reimbursed some of his investments from the last two seasons, during the decline of the support through the gates, the club in bankrolled by the board and Neil is putting more than his fair share in. Also with the proposed ground improvements, additional revenue that has gone out through contracts needing to be paid and other projects I am fairly certain the clubs FA Cup run has only helped us toward a "break even". For new blood to come in, there are going to have to be people leave the club and honestly right now, I cannot see any players that "could" leave in order to free up wages if they are on contract. Is anyone coming in for these players with a fee plus, player wages in order to allow for this. The Chairman has stated the club is a business and for my money, the squad only needs a few tweaks, free agents and loans will be as good as it gets for us and that is only if the manager can trim some fat in the current squad and who if any would want to go right now. It may mean dropping a level and taking a pay cut to do so. 

20/1/2020 1:23 PM  #7

It’s not solely down to Neil surely, we have a board of directors who will be looking to support and aid the team, but as you say maybe loan market is the route forward. 

20/1/2020 2:28 PM  #8

It must be great to have the FA Cup winnings sat in the bank.  I bet Neil doesn't know what to spend it on next. 
Too many people live in cloud cuckoo land. 

20/1/2020 3:23 PM  #9

InsideLeft sweeps in with diplomacy and tact as always ;) But he is right, the money isn't just sat there. I am quite fortunate to know a little with regards this situation but as mentioned before, when you offset the amount of money that CTFC takes to operate and couple that with what the FA Cup run has bought through the coffers and of course what we take on the gate making up the rest of our "incoming" revenue. It is very much a small drop in the ocean of what the club expends and this is coming from a Board of Directors and very small contributions elsewhere in terms of sponsorship, advertising and other various money making incentives such as 50/50, programme sales, the dream draw and the budget boost. 

The club needs to do more commercially and alas needs to be better supported in order to make a real difference in this division. This has always been my "Pro Mark Collier" argument, he gets a bloody good return for his budget and knows how to seemingly get the best of them. A difficult season for sure in terms of League results but an FA Cup 1st Round appearance and should we survive at the end of this season (and I think we would have) you could only really call that a success based on Chippenham's realistic targets set before the season kicked off. Still it's in the past now and although left a bitter taste in the mouths of a few, the fact remains that Mike Cook still has those same constraints, he needs to get the best out of what we have as in reality. We are not blessed with riches nor people knocking our door down to come and play football here.  

20/1/2020 4:03 PM  #10

Consolidation achieved not sure about progression going forward. Vibrancy and energy required.

Board footera