BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14/1/2020 9:49 AM  #1

Mike Cook

Appointed caretaker manager until the end of the season. Guided Gloucester to safety last season.

Full statement:
"Chippenham Town FC is pleased to announce the appointment of Michael Cook, ex-Gloucester City FC, as temporary First Team Manager until the end of the current season. Michael brings a deal of experience with him, including at National League South level, and will be accompanied by his own support staff.

"The CTFC Board has moved quickly to secure this appointment in order to give the new management team, which will include Gary Horgan, the best chance of improving team performances and results such as to achieve the Club's retention in the Vanarama National League South and also to secure an immediate improvement in player discipline.

"The Chippenham Town FC Board welcomes Michael to the Club."

I don't know about you, but using 'CTFC Board' makes it sound like a seperate entity to that of Chippenham Town FC...

Last edited by 96chipp (14/1/2020 9:55 AM)

14/1/2020 10:03 AM  #2

Re: Mike Cook

Well who else appointed him?

14/1/2020 10:04 AM  #3

Calling his NLS spell is experience is a bit of a stretch.

He took over Gloucester City at a similar time last season and steered them clear of relegation.

We'll see how it turns out here but I still think Mark Collier would have saved the club from relegation (we've not even been in the relegation spots this season)

14/1/2020 10:07 AM  #4

Insideleft wrote:

Well who else appointed him?

Maybe I'm over thinking it, but most clubs leave the 'board' bit out of statements. They're not bigger than the club itself.

14/1/2020 10:36 AM  #5

Underwhelming appointment, we know now it’s all about the board, the stand, the Jarvis debacle to name a few, this club was the non league people’s club, not anymore. Why caretaker I wonder ? 

14/1/2020 10:41 AM  #6

14/1/2020 10:56 AM  #7

OMG, player discipline was mentioned in statement, innocent until proven guilty I presume. 

14/1/2020 11:46 AM  #8

Have to agree, an underwhelming appointment.

I feel the board have no sense of direction and are somewhat contradicting themselves. For example, Neil mentioned on BBC Wilts that he would take time to appoint a new manager and Gary can fill the gap in the interim. Also mentioned it’s a bonus, appointing somebody at this time of the year to enable them to build the full ‘package’ come next pre-season. (disagree with that statement however). 

Fast forward a few days and we now have a ‘Caretaker Manager’ - which alone doesn’t scream longevity, confidence or backing to create this ‘Package’ Neil mentioned. Worrying time’s at CTFC, not sure there has been any strategic thinking with the club/community/fans in mind.

14/1/2020 11:57 AM  #9

Neil is a lovely bloke and has put his money and energy into the club. His intentions are no doubt with the best interest of the club and town. However there is a saying that you are what you associate with and he has surrounded himself with people who are not fit for the job of board or directors.

The statement saying the board and not the club is poor as is the line about player discipline at the end.  Were there any discipline issues?  If so that should be kept out of the public. What a stab in the back to Mark who has conducted himself admirably throughout his time.

If this club is to progress then he needs help.

A friend of mine was on the coach to Tonbridge and informed me that the vice chairman was on the coach talking about Tom Owen Evans loan being permanent until the end of the season, he was also happy to disclose Toms wages at Hereford as well as the deal we had struck!!  This was before either club wanted it public!!

It is these statements and these sort of actions that fear me with dread.

Welcome to Mike btw. Reasonable appointment. I presume his new assistant will be driving him around after Thursday? 👀

14/1/2020 12:22 PM  #10

Seems to have been well liked at Gloucester.

Most fans didn't want him to leave.

Board footera