BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29/11/2019 9:37 AM  #1

Team of the Decade

Well, as we leave the 2010's behind us and say hello to the 2020's, would be interested to see your teams of the decade.

As decades go, we've seen it all. Play off heartbreak at Nuneaton, 9-0 home defeats and flirting with relegation, the highs of a record break points finish and promotion to the National League South and improving season on season at the highest level we've ever played, topping it off a cup run and our first meeting with EFL opposition.

As for my team:
Chitty,
Bowman, Richards, Tindle, Mings
Smith, Ferguson, Smile, Guthrie
Sandell, Pratt

Bench: A. Griffin, Jarvis, Casey, Harvey, J. Thompson

Let's see yours...

29/11/2019 9:46 AM  #2

Re: Team of the Decade

Great idea 66chipp

Puddy

Adams Richards Tindle Felix

Gullick Ferguson Williams Guthrie

Powell Sandell

It’s only right to put in a few of the championship team

29/11/2019 11:48 AM  #3

GK - Will Puddy, how can you not, two stints at the club, copious clean sheets and big performances. Arguably one of the best shot stoppers I have seen play at the Southern League/National League level. 

RB - Ross Adams, Strong as a defender, big in both boxes, good getting forward. Lacked the crossing ability of a Dan Bowman but as reliable as they came, huge loss when he left, difficult to replace. 

LB - Tyrone Mings - Got to haven't you? Not the greatest performer in a Chippenham shirt but, the man has gone from Chippenham Town to starting England's last qualifier! I think he gets a spot! 

CB - Greg Tindle - Mr Chippenham, went to school with the dude, loved this club, still does. Erratic at times but heart of a lion and a proper centre back, no bells and whistles just business. Led the team to the incredible 16/17 Southern League Title and his smile picking it up didn't need words! Immense. 

CB - Will Richards - Gone for his partner for most of that title winning season in Tindle but Richards was the standout. His goal threat led him to being a striker whilst chasing a game away from home in the Southern League, I got a muddy cuddle for the pleasure of being stood behind the goal. Arguably the best centre half I have ever seen at Southern League level and a huge presence in the current team. 

RM - Matthew Smith, not his natural position as he played through the centre more often than not, but what a tricky player. Great on the ball, good passer of the football, could run with it, take it past opponents, cut in on goal and shoot, deliver a cross, he could do pretty much what he wanted. Big influence on the Southern League winning side, great first season in the National League South, sad to see him go. 

LM - James Guthrie, Iron man, stayed with Chippenham through the bad, the good, the bad, the brilliant and the indifferent. When James was at his very best, there have been few better on that left hand side down the years. Often called into question regarding his discipline and occasional lack of quality, but this team played through James for years with the majority result being positive. Length of service alone should have seen him in this team but on his day, in here on merit of being a top player. 

CM - Iain Harvey, some would argue he played his better years pre 2010. I would suggest that Iain Harvey is one of the, if not the, biggest club legend in recent times. Warrior in the middle, a great leader and still doing it now over at Bristol Manor Farm combined with coaching and management duties. If he gets on well, who knows that could be a potential return one day for the midfield hero. 

CM - Alex Ferguson, instrumental in the League Title Win. Big goals from midfield and for me just edges Josh Smile in terms of our most influential "Attacking Midfielder" 

ST - Alan Griffin, how can you not stick in Alan Griffin, a huge goal threat and for the longest time the only thing keeping us afloat were his goals, still had a role to play until around 2017-18 when he was released but as far as Strikers in the Southern League go, Griff was a very hard player to defend against and for me will go down as a Chippenham Legend. 

ST - Dave Pratt, great the first time, unplayable the second. Made Andy Sandell look superhuman with his partnership in the 16/17 season and for me was the main reason behind our promotion. His tireless running, his goals, his assists, his inability to see a lost cause when chasing a ball was second to none. No place for Sandell in the starting line up purely because of the fact Pratt is too good not to put in. Back with us now and when he is back to full fitness. Still a frightening prospect for defenders. 

Bench 

Darren Chitty - GK 
Kieran Parselle - DEF 
Scott Lye - MID 
Andy Sandell - ST
Nat Jarvis - ST 
Gary Horgan - FB 

Manager - Mark Collier, how could it be anyone else. Picked us up on the bare bones of our arse after some dubious management choices, we finally got our man. Quickly getting rid of the deadwood and assembling a squad that even in our wildest dreams, we could not imagine what was going to happen next. Promotion from the League we have struggled to get out of for the entire decade, improvement year on year in the National League South, unlucky against Maidenhead last year for the FA Cup 1st Round and then getting there this year and facing league opposition in Northampton was one of the best experiences I have had as a Chippenham fan. Mr Blackmore's best decision with this club was handing the keys to Collier. We owe him a tremendous thanks for the level of football we are currently playing at. 

29/11/2019 1:38 PM  #4

Here goes!

Puddy
Tyler
Mings
Richards
Tindle
Harvey
Smith
Ferguson
Smile
Pratt
Sandell

Subs -  Griffin (also sub keeper!), Adams, Parselle, Lye, Guthrie

29/11/2019 3:13 PM  #5

Surprised Beano Constable not in any of the selections.

29/11/2019 3:17 PM  #6

inthebox wrote:

Surprised Beano Constable not in any of the selections.

Decade - period of ten years

29/11/2019 3:21 PM  #7

Ouch ITB, would be impossible to include James Constable in Team of the Decade as by the time 2010 came around he was smashing goals in left, right and centre for Oxford United before departing to finish the decade at Eastleigh, Poole and Hungerford. Left us in 06 for Walsall. However with some 29 goals in 66 appearances for CTFC and considering again the career he had after he left Chippenham, it would be damn near impossible not to call him one of our best ever strikers and his partnership with Dave Gilroy was the most exciting strike partnership I think I have ever had the privilege of watching at CTFC.  

29/11/2019 5:02 PM  #8

Woops, in the wrong decade lol

29/11/2019 5:49 PM  #9

Puddy, Adams Richards Tindle Mings. Smile Harvey Andrews, Pratt Griffin Sandell.

29/11/2019 5:54 PM  #10

Reginald very interesting Sir! My back 5 and of course Harvey and Pratt but a little surprised at the inclusion of one Mr Jake Andrews in the Midfield! No doubt a very effective stint with the Bluebirds in your eyes then

Board footera