BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04/9/2019 11:09 AM  #1

Dorking - A complete biased account of events....

Well what a very interesting game of football that was for the some 30-40 travelling bluebirds. First thing's first, what a fantastic effort by so many of us to get to a game 2 hours or so away, on a Tuesday night with many driving over to Dorking as well as the coach. It may not seem like masses and the fact that their home support decided to call us out for a lack of vocal presence I am sure we will address when all 10 of them land on our plot at home. 

We started the game like a bullet from a gun, clearly very keen to put Saturday behind us and several half chances early on went for Chippenham, on about 15 minutes or so Jarv has arguably the chance of the half for us when Elias crossed deep and James Guthrie got up highest to win the "lost cause" and head back across goal. It got stuck in Jarv's feet and unfortunately could not poke the ball home from close range.

Then Dorking grew into the game in a big way towards the end of the first half, breakaway football, long ball pump and a bit of pace in the ranks saw them carve a couple of good opportunities and it has to be said Will Puddy is proving invaluable between the sticks at the moment. In the space of maybe 15 minutes I can recall three or four big moments for Will and his sturdy back four, taking us into the half at 0-0. 

A real half of two halves as it were with Chippenham looking the stronger of the two sides at the start of the game and Dorking showing their danger as the game grew. 

And then came the second half, we seemed to sit a little deeper, a good move in my opinion from the gaffer as football despite some people's opinion isn't all a game of attack, attack, attack. Dorking were stretching us on a big pitch and when we sat back and contained them once again, we were getting the better of the game in the early exchanges of the half.

The game started to get a bit tetchy, little fouls being missed, little incidents not being picked up on by the referee and his assistant (particularly by the dug out's) and this eventually led to some rather crazy decisions.. but we will get there. Dean Evans was substituted on for James Guthrie (another step on his road back to match fitness) and we went it would seem to that traditional 4-3-3 approach. With Karnell coming off the wing and moving up top with Jarv and Brockie. Chippenham were at this point having the better of the game... and then... Chippenham corner, the ball breaks and despite being two vs one again at the back, Evans and Rigg couldn't contain Matthew Briggs pace and he lashed a strike into the net via the underside of the bar. A moment of quality at the end of the move leaving Puddy with no chance and many questioning what we could have done to stop them getting in that position from us on the attack. After that we had an instant response after celebrations in the corner that would suggest Dorking had done so much more than go one nil up at home (another time delaying tactic that become a rather constant theme through to the end of the game), Chippenham shot from distance cannoned off the top of the crossbar with the Dorking goalkeeper rooted to the spot. As Chippenham pressed for the equalising goal Dorking once again broke in on the Chippenham goal, as the striker draws his foot back to strike the telling blow, there was a coming together with a recovering Kieran Parselle, the referee in my opinion correctly points to the spot, and then in a real show of incompetence whips the red card out for the captain. Now I won't go into the full laws of the game regarding double punishment but a red card is only shown if the referee believes this is a blatant and obvious attempt to play the man with no intent of getting the ball. For me Kieran's momentum took him up the arse of the striker and the collision was that of an accidental coming together. Penalty yes, red card, absolutely not. A straight red for Parselle is a 3 match suspension I believe sadly as with all of these incidents. An appeal is futile, the FA are never taking the word of a player/club over that of a ref however useless which means we have been sadly robbed of Pars for the foreseeable you would feel. 

It hardly seems a shock these days as it just seems to be something he has in his locker but the penalty was saved and cleared by Will Puddy. 3 penalties faced, 3 saved for the Chippenham stopper so far this term and my god how valuable he is proving to be. 

At this point Jarv was switched out for Luke Hopper and Chippenham went about chasing a point whilst down to ten men and honestly, I felt we closed the game the better side. Game management was not a strong point for Dorking as they tried to hold the ball up in areas that the referee really should have been switched on too. Goal kicks taking minutes, throw ins taking an age and even when balls where being placed in hands, somehow they forgot the basic ability to catch and the ball ended up trotting five yards away but still we persevered. 

Big talking point in the game for me was a ball clipped in to Zebroski, he had the better of his man THE LAST MAN who then proceeded to move the ball aside and with his hand in the most blatant handball I or anyone surrounding me had seen. All of course bar the linesman who it was right in his eye-line and the referee who once again was off the pace and out of position to make a proper call. Whether we would have scored, who knows. It looked just outside the box when the contact was there however, it was a certain red card, far more so than the Parselle red earlier and one had to wonder at that point whether once again we were going to have a defeat to pin on substandard officiating. As the referee continued to underline this point for the final 10 minutes of the game, we threw Pratt on in a vain attempt to try and salvage something on the snatch and nearly managed it with the last kick of the game pumped into McDonald who just put to much on the effort to see his backward header sail into the netting behind the stand and seal the fate of Chippenham on the road.. Dorking 1- 0 Chippenham.

For Mark's post match analysis and comments please check it out on the link below... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHeKzWNxQE

04/9/2019 11:26 AM  #2

Re: Dorking - A complete biased account of events....

Voice, another lengthy and interesting report, but what was the team, and who is Brockie?  I suppose if Will Richards is not fit they will bring in Rutty for Saturday's game.

04/9/2019 11:47 AM  #3

Apologies ITB, I would have thought most would have seen the line up from other forms of social media.. 

GK - Puddy
LB - Foulston
RB - Rigg 
CB - Parselle
CB - McDonald
RM - Chambers 
CM - Youssef
CM - Haines 
LM - Guthrie
ST - Zebroski 
ST - Jarvis 

Subs , Evans, Pratt, Hopper, Gunner, Klukowski 

Brockie is Chris Zebroski mate ;) and I wouldn't like to make comment on Team Selection but Harry Rutty is certainly an option should Will Richards not be fit, however, I am given to understand due to the turnaround it would not likely be until the following Saturday when Kieran's ban kicks in but don't quote me on that one, such is our luck at the moment they will likely put a rush on it ;) 

04/9/2019 1:14 PM  #4

Cheers mate.  

04/9/2019 3:37 PM  #5

Well done TheVoice, thanks for the report.
I know we have been unlucky so far but these things are supposed to even out over the course of a season. Unfortunately the stats speak for themselves - 6 goals in 9 games is simply not good enough. One thing I don't understand is why Yan Kuklowski is permanently warming the bench (unless he's carrying a knock) whilst James Guthrie comes in from nowhere. On the plus side Chris Zebroski looks a great signing. I guess we hope for the best, starting with Tonbridge Saturday.

04/9/2019 3:55 PM  #6

You're welcome Chipp54. 

Don't worry mate, they will even out over the course of the season, or at least I hope they will. 

As for the Yan situation, well it very much depends what section of the crowd you stand in if you prick your ears up you'll hear many different opinions but one thing I would suggest is not making the correlation between those players. Guths has come back into the fold because he offers us a slightly different option out on the left hand side where as Yan would be directly competing with Dean Evans, Elias Youssef, Luke Haines and Callum Gunner. Now we don't see Yan in training, it is down to the manager to make the decision as to whether Yan is competing with those aforementioned for a place in the team, and our job as supporters to back the team that the manager puts out onto the field. 

Zebroski does indeed look a fantastic signing and I am certain along with Jarv, Pratty, Hopper and Karnell they will find there shooting boots and start scoring the goals that their work rate has been so deserving of  

05/9/2019 8:22 AM  #7

Sounds like we created enough chances at Dorking to maybe win or at least get something from the game. Its interesting that we are defensively stronger this year, despite Tindle leaving. I think we set up that way with Hinds,Youssef working hard and offering more protection in front of our back 4. By doing this it makes us less creative going forward. I think thats why Guthrie has been brought into the team to offer more creativity and get balls into the box.
Our goal tally is simply not good enough, hopefully we can turn it around. Saturday will give us an indication on where we really are. Playing the worst defence in the league, at home we should expect some goals, if not then we really are dire and we are in for a long old season.

Last edited by Wellard (05/9/2019 11:18 AM)

05/9/2019 9:57 AM  #8

We were certainly in the game at Dorking as we have been every game so far this season. I know I keep referring to this stat but 810 minutes of football this season and we haven't ever been more than a goal behind. This isn't always an accurate statistic to track game performances but it does show at any moment we are able to get ourselves back into the game and claim a point or more with a goal. 

But as you've correctly identified Wellard, those goals have been in short supply and difficult to come by this season. And I know you think I am all sunshine and rainbows but I honestly back the very talented front line we have to find their feet. We have to bear in mind partnerships take time to form. And none of these players Jarvis, Hopper, Pratt, Zebroski played together last year, two of those players played in a completely different league. I also back the manager to get these boys firing as well. 

I cast my mind back to 99 when United were the team of envy for most boasting Sheringham, Solskjaer and what became arguably the best strike partnership of the time in Yorke and Cole. Sir Alex Ferguson, arguably the greatest manager of all time, spent big money on bringing Dwight Yorke to the club (although 12 million in today's market wouldn't get you much) and they had 4 strikers that each felt that they should be starting every game, scoring all the time. United didn't find this partnership until the 7th game of the season a 3-0 win against Southampton and I would be fairly shocked if any football fan didn't know the rest... 

The point is squads rotate, teams take time to gel, and yes, there is the worry that if it takes too long, are we in trouble and the answer is of course yes. We don't want to be involved at the wrong end of the table but this is the time more than ever to pull together to ensure it doesn't happen. We get the win Saturday and suddenly the table looks different again we are back up around 12th spot and we get that little bit of confidence and a boost to take into the next games. Lose, it's again not the end of the world. Any team can beat any other team in this division, I think that's been proven multiple times and I don't fear this league, our goal is consolidation and trying to improve upon our PB's, still very much within our grasp.

Come on Wellard, join my Optimistic Army ;) I promise it's not a cult..  

05/9/2019 11:34 AM  #9

I'm not as negative as some hear would make out, I've been supporting the club a long time so I say it how it is, most on here won't like that....bothered!! 
Agreed Losing is not the end of the world, and we have proven that we are more than capable this season already, but we need to turn it around and do it soon, else we'll be dragged into it. Winning is a habit.

You'll never convince me about Hopper, I hope he proves me wrong and I'll be the first to applaud him if he does, but I just don't rate him, never have.

05/9/2019 12:18 PM  #10

Agree with Wellard on this one, Hopper no improvement on when he was with us last time, Dave Pratt a yard or two slower than when he went to Wealdstone, Our to scorer Jarvis seems to lack confidence in front of goal. I know this is only based on the home games I have seen but it comes down to the fact " You score more goals than the other team and you win." 
Yan Klukowski is listed on the club website as a forward so maybe he's our 20 goal striker, give him a chance.

Board footera