BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19/8/2019 10:48 AM  #21

Re: Hungerford (AWAY)

TheVoice wrote:

Oh dear! It seems to be happening again doesn't it? What I don't understand is I could completely understand if we were an overly ambitious team, with huge revenue and a large budget. Or if we had come into the season picking up incredibly poor results but we are neither of these. Addressing comments specifically to this game is going to be tricky (I missed it, as per my earlier post) however, guys it's a point away from home! Against any opposition in the division this is not a cause for concern! We have so far travelled to St Albans on opening day, picked up a point, unlucky not to be all three, had 3 points snatched from us at home to Oxford with their one meaningful threat to Will Puddy's goal, beaten the team that pre-season declared with the signings they had made (all on the pitch) that they would be league champions, we beat them 2-0 in a very assured performance. Then we travelled to top of the table Wealdstone, a team that are going to be incredibly hard to beat anywhere and were unfortunate not to get something from the game in a 1-0 defeat. There other results are something like 4-1, 4-0, 3-0 the 1-0 against us and think they lost to Dulwich (another very strong team in the division, Wealdstone were down to 10 for most of the game) and then we respond with a point on the road against Hungerford. Five games in we are 3 Draws, 1 Win and 1 defeat and considering the level of opposition. Yes would have been nice to see more Wins but can any of you really say, honestly say that you aren't happy with the start we have made? 

As for Collier not knowing his best 11. I am no football manager (except on games and Sunday league level) but I don't think it's relevant! Knowing your strongest 11 means that you've overlooked about 5-6 others in terms of what they are bringing to the table! This is squad rotation Ladies and Gents, it's the one biggest contributing factor to a successful league campaign. Players will want to play every week, they are footballers at the weekend and they work hard for that 90 minute match on Saturday afternoon however, it's the managers job to keep them fit, healthy and fresh for the next challenge in the league. Not to mention hungry. Any player who didn't play at Hungerford, or get the minutes they felt they deserved will be chomping at the bit for Saturday and for my part, that's how you create desire, the will to win and go the extra mile for the team whilst also ensuring that no one is over stretching or pushing themselves over the limit.

Certain comments on here baffle me, Pratt looking off the pace! Did you go to Wealdstone? Chased every single ball and was a thorn in their side from whistle to whistle. Should have picked up a penalty and sadly being too honest was his downfall, had he hit the deck screaming he would have likely got the penalty however, he tried to regain his feet and attacking position and honesty cost him his reward (such is the modern game). How vulnerable we are on the flanks? Attacking I would suggest that we aren't the widest team in the league but "What Weymouth will do to us"? Rhys Tyler and Jay Foulston have been almost flawless this season, with many claiming Tyler has been the standout player for Chippenham in the opening five games so god only knows where this claim has come from. Our midfield has looked better than it has in a long time in my opinion with some real quality in the lads Haines and Youssef. Dean has been superb while in the game and Gunner at times has been absolutely magnificent (probably the best player on the park against Billericay according to the masses). As for the centre backs, well Richards was obviously superb before his injury and McDonald is looking sharper with every touch but Kieran Parselle! He has stepped in at skipper and wearing that armband like a god! Leader, strong in every sense of the word, first one over to the fans, calm, decisive and I haven't seen him put a foot wrong this year and unless you have the overly critical eye on him, you'd be hard pushed to find a better example of what we should be in order to be successful this term. We have a bloody strong team guys! 

What are we worried about!?! Weymouth are riding the crest of a wave after last season's promotion. They will be buzzing and every single game is a cup final to them at the moment, they are earning every single point through sheer will and determination to belong and let's not forget, another massive club who were very much lying dormant in the Southern League, big following, big stadium and I would imagine a fairly decent budget from owners that have always had a little bit of money right back from the Southern League days they have been well backed. All we need to do is match that same work rate and determination and we will once again (like we have been EVERY GAME SO FAR) be in with a shout of a point or more. 

Come on guys, I know this forum is largely made up of ex players, disgruntled "fans" and those with hidden agenda but is it really all that bad. We are in the National League South, we once again look far too good for the drop, we are competitive, how about getting behind the team, the manager and the club and seeing if the power of positive can't be a catalyst for what we desire. A good crowd in good voice this weekend, united behind whatever team is put out on the pitch can only be a good thing. And if your favourite player is missing, if someone has been left out that you feel shouldn't be then by all means feel aggrieved but let's get behind the decisions made by Mark and Gary and trust that they know what they are seeing. They work with the players, train with them 1-2 times a week, share the dressing room. They have the reasons for making the calls they do and from a much more experienced and exposed vantage point than ourselves. 

Bring on Weymouth, they will fancy it down here. Maybe we can relish once again in being the "underdogs" for the game. #BLUEARMY 

Its not all doom and gloom and like i said its a good point away from home....but we were lucky, very lucky.
Not sure why some comments baffle you, you weren't at the game and the comments were made about this game.
Pratt was off the pace Saturday and chased very little.
Rhys got skinned for fun by their No7 but was ok going forward.
Dean didn't start, George did and gave away the ball so much it was embarrassing. Gunner got subbed at half time whereas I think it should have been George.
We look ok defensively but lack a creative touch and I think we will struggle for goals with this line up. Agree with previous comments about start Chris and Jarvis.

I thought that was what this forum should be about, watching the game Saturday and then commenting on it, good, bad or indifferent. We all get behind the team on a Saturday but if we have an opinion on squad selection, performance, tatics etc... surely the forum is a place to discuss it? right? and active forum is a healthy forum. Its not always a blue tinted as you make out.

I think we are (hopefully) to good to go down and will probably finish mid table. I am for the record, not and ex player or manager, disgruntled fan nor have a hidden agenda. just a fan who likes to discuss the game after the weekend.

P.P.S this forum is currently more active that Bath, so can't all be bad 

19/8/2019 11:06 AM  #22

What he said

19/8/2019 11:40 AM  #23

Whilst i don't in any way think that we shouldn't be having healthy debate on the forum about topical issues my biggest gripe is with the apparent lack of appraisal for what we are doing and achieving as opposed to what we aren't or what we think we should. Football is a very tough game to call, look at our results this year. The two teams we would have been absolute stonewall underdogs in we were incredibly competitive in a 1-0 loss and extremely dominant in a 2-0 win. These games are the catalyst for expectation admittedly but let's stay grounded is all I am saying. 

Pratty has been our "go to" this season which speaks volumes to the mans unwavering determination to be an ironman at this level. Ran himself ragged at Wealdstone last week and if he was off the pace against Hungerford, like you said, I cannot comment but say the manager chops him out for Karnell (his closest like for like) you get the questions of why is Pratt not in the starting line up (because in terms of knowing his best 11, I would strongly suggest David Pratt is there). Again similar deal with Adriel George, he's got splinters in his arse first four games, needs his chance as everyone does to prove themselves worthy of a place in the team/squad and people either take it or they don't. If he has had a stinker at Hungerford, then that's something for the gaffer to consider. 

As for lucky, i'm not a big believer in luck in football matches. You have to create something to force luck and if this is an own goal, the chap sure as hell didn't walk in there from his centre circle. We have to have created, pressed the man and forced the mistake to do it, by all accounts Pratt was the one applying that pressure to the point where some have deemed the goal his? 

Fact remains we have another very tough game this weekend. And we have a well rested Dean Evans, Nat Jarvis, Callum Gunner, Chris Zebroski but to name a few. It's not a blue tinted view my mate, just a realistic one. 5 games in we've only been beaten once, away from home to a team that are going to fancy their chances of being at the top end come playoff time. That's worthy of praise not scrutiny. Most if not all Chippenham fans would have taken one loss from five if offered at the start of the year, a little more endeavour may turn these draws into wins, who knows. All I know is that is much more likely with a united front and everyone backing the lads wearing the shirt on any given day. 

Last edited by TheVoice (19/8/2019 11:42 AM)

19/8/2019 1:31 PM  #24

"Most if not all Chippenham fans would have taken one loss from five if offered at the start of the year, a little more endeavour may turn these draws into wins, who knows. All I know is that is much more likely with a united front and everyone backing the lads wearing the shirt on any given day."

Totally agree i think our return has been good but those draws could have also have been loses, Hungerford should have been out of site by half time. I'm not being pessimistic just realistic from what i saw from the game. We were lucky as Hungerford where not clinical in front of goal.
But shall we all stop posting anything critical or negative which may start an open and adult debate (its what forums are for) and join the happy clappy club and the forum have no content.

Last edited by Wellard (19/8/2019 1:32 PM)

19/8/2019 2:04 PM  #25

Of course not mate, by all means, if you are a glass half empty guy, don't let me stop you. The draws that could have been losses weren't, in fact if you are to see and believe the majority, we were the better team at St Albans, Oxford and possibly good value for a draw at Wealdstone, certainly the better side against Billericay and if we were out of sorts and picking up points against Hungerford, I might suggest that we actually have a lot to be positive about there. 

I am not disagreeing with you Wellard, just engaged in the open and adult debate my friend. But we are always going to be under the cosh against sides away from home. As it stands we have only conceded two goals away from home, both early ish in the game and we recovered one of those into a point. At home, scored 3, conceded one and taken 4 points from a possible 6 with a very difficult tie to come this weekend. These aren't speculative numbers, just facts, and those facts would suggest that we are doing our job properly and getting results.. discuss ;) 

19/8/2019 2:50 PM  #26

Just saw the highlights were posted on the Hungerford Twitter page. Had a chance to glance over them and I know it's absolutely not the same as being at the game with the sole purpose of highlights being to show chances created, goals, key moments etc. I am absolutely stunned with comments about lack of creativity because from what I could see we had ample chances especially in the second half where the highlights turned into live footage of Chippenham camped inside the Hungerford half! 

And I am glad that I get to address the "lucky" comment as well because signing a quality keeper, who commands an area and who is an excellent shot stopper isn't luck. That's why we have the likes of Will Puddy between the sticks. Three or Four big saves to keep Chippenham in the game, in the first four games, Will hasn't had to do much, defensively we have been the resolute that shots from outside the area have been anyone's only real threat consistently and save for the Oxford quick free kick in which Brown got the run and Clifford's free header for Wealdstone will has been fairly comfortable. This game saw our stopper tested and my how he passed with flying colours. 

This however, leads me on nicely to my point about focus on the positive. This is right now the first comment that I can recall seeing praising Will Puddy for a damn near perfect performance, shit marking for the Hungerford goal has to be on the defence or the most optimistic could put it on Will's poor organisation of that defence but that's clutching at straws. He has made some terrific stops and really impacted the game but the comments read "Lucky" "Should have been out of sight by half time". Might have just been highlights but I just saw the reason they weren't out of sight at any point in the game and that is again a solid defensive performance after the initial shakey start and a commanding performance from Chippenham's number one. Well done Will, top stuff mate! 

22/8/2019 5:49 AM  #27

'The Voice' it is clear from your responses that you are very passionate about the Blue Birds. Your clearly know the strengths and weakness' of the team. I hope your optimism has foundation.
I have seen two home games, (neither of which they've lost). Based on what I've seen, Chippenham spend alot of time defending in their own box! The pressure is relentless. When they get the ball it comes to nothing (inverably without getting a shot coming off). That maybe a reasonable tactic defending a 0-0. I believe this is unsustainable long term. You must accept supporters concerns. You may also want to consider  'less is more' in your responses!

22/8/2019 2:10 PM  #28

"BlackandAmber" very passionate indeed my mate, as I think all supporters should be about the team that gives them unbridled joy and at the same time can make them as depressed as a man on death row who just found his last meal got dropped on the floor. I would like to think I see the strengths and weaknesses of any team as football has been something I have been involved in since birth. Optimism is a matter of perspective mate, I choose to see the positives when the negatives are just as blatant, that's a commentary on the person not the situation. Of course my optimism has foundation, I believe that in the current squad we have a very good team, great bench options and a manager and coach good enough to get the best out of them. Our ability to soak up pressure and hit teams on the counter punch is incredible. Billericay we harassed in the right areas and let them have the ball where it wasn't relevant. You aren't going to stop other teams playing football but the way we stop them where it matters is what causes optimism. Are the strikers pulling their weight yet? Honestly, with Pratt, Jarv, Zeb and Hopper with Karnell (Who is still see more of a winger) we should be getting a higher return but we are playing some mean defences and in a time where this team is "gelling" we have only been defeated once and that team is top of the division after the five games. Of course I accept supporters concerns, I am one of those supporters and the first to (no pun intended) voice my dissatisfaction when I feel things have either gone wrong or feel unjustified however, I truly believe it's easy to support a side that wins all the time, that faces no adversity and plods along like a Man City or a Liverpool, that word "support" comes out a lot more when things aren't so terrific and right now, my biggest issue is that we have nothing to be worried about 5 games, one loss, we are unlucky not to be on 5 more points in my opinion with the two draws to open the season much more likely to be wins on another day than defeats, and a possible draw to Wealdstone if we had been a little more fortunate with officiating decisions that some would argue as errors. Add those 5 points to the tally and Chippenham would be 4th in the league and everyone at that point would be completely buzzing. As it goes those things didn't happen quite the way they should, a good goal disallowed at St Albans, a fortunate equaliser for Oxford and a referee not understanding you don't need to do a somersault to show you've been fouled is the difference between where we are now and 4th. And as for the less is more comment, sadly I am always going to write War and Peace when it comes to a subject I am passionate about. Worst thing is I normally do this when I am at work on the PC so typing just comes so much easier this way, hence the essay responses. I can't say I am going to work on it (because I won't) but feel free to breeze on past my comments should you wish ;) See you Saturday B&A 

24/8/2019 9:40 AM  #29

Bachedax wrote:

I have the curve 8500 and the mail symbol for when you have a new email wont go away I have deleted all possible messages and everything and it still says I have an unread email when I dont and its very annoying. Help?

Certainly.
F*** Off!

Want a bare knuckle fight? I'll knock you out you Cnut.

Board footera