BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16/5/2019 1:06 PM  #21

Re: New Signing

A couple have left Bath already, Robbie Cundy to Bristol City and captain Anthony Straker to Havant.
Also Sean Rigg has retired.
Smith, Pryce, Morton and Hinds were all on loan.
So it might be a case of them raiding us!!

16/5/2019 2:34 PM  #22

Afraid I don't agree with the Voice on McCootie, for a man of his size falls over too easily and his ball control is poor, how many times last season did he fall over his own feet when trying to control the ball? Yes he's a presence in the box when he's there, often he's the player outside trying to put the ball in and not on the receiving end. What we need is a player who can stand up to the extremely large defenders we were up against last season and who isn't afraid to put up a bit of resistance to their challenges. In short a bit of a Griff but younger, there must be one out there. Bath had Nick's best days. The rest of his must signs I agree with.

16/5/2019 3:06 PM  #23

Hobgoblin - I'm not entirely sure what is McCootie's best position. I remember last season, he played as a holding midfielder. and was a revelation in that position. But that seemed to be a 1 off game. Not even sure if he is going to re-sign for next season. One name that has not been mentioned, and that is Will Richards. No mention of him re-signing anywhere, unless he is on contract - let's hope so. The same with Curtis McDonald, again no mention if he is still with us ?

16/5/2019 3:12 PM  #24

Robbie Cundy was a transfer I think most could see coming, a little shocked that Straker has gone to Havant though!! Luckily I don't see Jerry Gill coming to us for replacements for those positions. Club captain/left back..... well Kieran Parselle is on a new deal and played left back for most of the season so he is safe.. Will Richards perhaps might be the only person remotely on their radar as a replacement for Robbie Cundy but fingers crossed. Totally forgot to add him to my retained wish list but yeah he needs to stay as well as Tariq Ossei. Absolutely brilliant when coming in half way through the season.

Nick McCootie is a game changer on the day HG. Yes there are times he can be a little clumsy trust me I know more than most and it frustrates the hell out of me, but moments of magic from Nick can often ensure that he is more of a positive influence than a negative. Powerful, physically better than most, great in the air. I just think he would be a better person to retain than lose to a rival.

A couple more midfielders for me is where we need to focus the efforts. Smile retained, Evans retained. In an ideal world maybe a strong midfielder with the ability to unlock defences might be a great shout and going 4-3-3 or if we are going 2 up top and heading back to the days of service from wide areas we absolutely need a proper right and left midfielder. Could Compton do a job, I think he could but he has some people to win over methinks. 

16/5/2019 3:13 PM  #25

toyboy wrote:

Hobgoblin - I'm not entirely sure what is McCootie's best position. I remember last season, he played as a holding midfielder. and was a revelation in that position. But that seemed to be a 1 off game. Not even sure if he is going to re-sign for next season. One name that has not been mentioned, and that is Will Richards. No mention of him re-signing anywhere, unless he is on contract - let's hope so. The same with Curtis McDonald, again no mention if he is still with us ?

You been drinking today toyboy, nick mcootie has never played holding midfield, would love to know which game this was.

16/5/2019 5:38 PM  #26

I guess it all comes down to price. I agree with Voice, on his day McCootie is unplayable and gives us a different dimension and chipped in with 9 league goals. So if he’s cheap why not.
JDavis is nothing without service, so we need a wide player is going to provide that. He his a box player and I don’t remember him scoring much from outside the 6 us box. One on one he was rubbish but excellent at holding the ball up which hopefully Pratt can benefit from.
What about Chambers?
I don’t expect us to make wholesale changes maybe a replacement for Gunner, McDonald but not much else.
Would like us to dip in loan market if required but actually play them, seemed to work wonders for Bath, and we did well out of Jake Andrews a couple of seasons back.
Only Gunner this season the rest were bench warmers.

16/5/2019 7:47 PM  #27

toyboy wrote:

McCootie in midfield, are you serious, unbelievable

20/5/2019 10:09 AM  #28

A few points.. Firstly Me and Wellard on the same page? Is anyone else feeling slightly uncomfortable Only joking Wellard. Have to say I agree with you too!! (What a world we live in) There isn't a massive amount that needs changing in my opinion. Bit of depth in the squad wouldn't go amiss, we will need to ensure certain players add to that retained list and definitely have to replace Smile as I don't think there are many in the team like him with the creative vision and ability to play the killer pass.

I too cannot recall Nick playing as a holding midfielder? Maybe dropping into like a "False 9" role and playing a little deeper a la Kane, Firmino, but definitely cannot recall a match where he held down the midfield. I think his best position is on the right hand side of a "Front 3" when matched up in the right way Nick is borderline unreal it's just such a shame more often that not the final product doesn't allow for the recognition a lot of his play deserves. 

McDonald for me needs to get fit, but certainly on his day is every bit as important to the team as the next. 

The Loan market is often hit and miss but such is life. The thing is with the loan market is most of the time it offloads players unwanted by the manager for that particular term, depends on how high you go I guess for the quality of the youth or the castaway but again we have a decent record there, Jake Andrews being the obvious but also strong players last season like Davies, Gunner, Henry and House who didn't let us down on the occasions required. 

25/5/2019 8:15 AM  #29

And your point is ?

Board footera