BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19/7/2017 7:31 AM  #1

Newport

Good competitive work-out for both clubs I thought - nothing much between the two sides.  Nice to see James Bittner keeping goal at the "Hockey End" - thought I saw him glance over his shoulder on more than one occasion ;-)

The ground is looking very tidy.  Well done to all the volunteers who've put in so much work over the summer.  As for previous comments about the pitch, I rocked up expecting the game to be played on something looking like Weston beach.  Nice and green.

19/7/2017 9:56 AM  #2

Re: Newport

Yes there was a bit of banter with Bittner over that famous hockey ball incident. Thought the trialist  Josh Williams looked good big strong lad with quick feet. Over all it was an enjoyable game. " We're Chippenham old boys and we sing when we want."
ps Sammy seems to have forgotten he was once a Bluebird.

19/7/2017 10:22 AM  #3

Yes Sammy's refereeing was a bit suspect some strange decisions, all against Chip, by the way does the yellow cards he dished out actually count.  Josh looked good playing behind the front two, could be a good acquisition. For a pre season friendly a good work out.

19/7/2017 10:59 AM  #4

Many thanks indeed for your kind compliments Insideleft on the work carried out on the ground over the summer. Have to say I heard more that one person remark last night, including the Newport Fans, on how clean and professionally prepared the ground looks now. It has been a long hard slog through the close session to get the ground up to this standard. We have not stopped since the end of last season, and as you say a special thanks to all the volunteers who went the extra mile. I think we were all swept along with the enthusiasm shown by everyone who gave up their free time. Fully agree with all the comments above, and yes I also like the look of Josh Williams who offers us something different - hope we sign him permanently. CTFC really played well last night, and can take a lot of credit in the way we matched Newport County in skill and pace. Not sure why Chitty did not figure in the squad last night, but both Jason and James Rea played well. COYMB

19/7/2017 5:43 PM  #5

Nice to see that Mark agrees with us "terrace managers" and has signed Josh Williams." We're Chippenham old boys and we sing when we want."

19/7/2017 6:05 PM  #6

Yes Toy Boy and the gang have done a fabulous job on the ground, It looks superb. Everything is coming together well for the new season. We look a strong side and has been said there wasn't much between the sides last night. You could see Newport were a professional outfit, At times there movement was superb. But we stayed with them and had long good spells our selves. Sandell looked slim and Sharp and loved his goal against his old club.  Freindlies are so difficult for management they know they have to give everyone a fair crack of the whip even though they can see others are stronger and better in the same positions. We have a lot of players at the moment,  and some will fall off the wagon before we start the season.  I agree Josh Morgan Williams looked good last night, probably better than he did on Saturday at Frome.  And I see he has signed this afternoon. Could be a really good signing as looks like a good plan B and offers something a little different.  It's early days yet but we look like a side that will take some beating, espesially at home. I think you have to aim high, are we worse than Hungerford or Poole, they did ok last year, Probably  not.  I'm sure Mark, Tom and Jason won't be happy to just stay in this league, but will be looking for a top 7 finish. If you don't set your sight high you will always struggle to achieve. 
I'm looking forward to the Swindon Town game on Tuesday 1 August, the last game before both sides start there league campaign on Saturday 5. Should be a decent game with a good atmosphere.  😎

Last edited by Jono (19/7/2017 6:22 PM)

19/7/2017 8:13 PM  #7

Insideleft wrote:

The ground is looking very tidy.  Well done to all the volunteers who've put in so much work over the summer.  As for previous comments about the pitch, I rocked up expecting the game to be played on something looking like Weston beach.  Nice and green.

Some Newport fans didn't appear to be too happy with the state of the pitch:

http://www.weareexiles.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44361&sid=36a5183bbd1a809d5193f114976081a4
😠

Talk about kettles and pots; ask any fan, including Newport's, and the general acceptance is that Roddy Park is one of the worst in the country.......at any level!

20/7/2017 6:52 AM  #8

Words of wisdom as always from your good self Jono, and an excellent summary of Tuesday night's game. Really thrilled that Josh Williams has signed for us, which will give us another attacking option. Blimey the management team are really building a strong squad here now. Up-date on the pitch - well I understand that Marcus Cassidy and members of his groundstaff from Swindon Town Football Club visited us yesterday, and have carried out further work on the pitch, and the bottom goal now has a protective membrane covering the entire 6 yard area which will allow thicker growth of the new grass. All the needed was rain and I'm sure it will be lush and ready for when we play Swindon Town on 01/08/2017. Interesting comments from Newport on our pitch. I would like to see the comparison between ours and their pitch at the turn of the New Year, and see who's is standing up best - I think we all know the answer to that !!!  COYMB

20/7/2017 11:08 AM  #9

A billiard table by our standards...

Lets Make The Magic Happen..

20/7/2017 12:12 PM  #10

Lord Voldermort - I'm referring to the amount of grass that will be on our pitch at the turn of the year compared to Newport's, not how level by comparison Newport's pitch is. I know we play up the side of a pyramid, and there is tiddely squat we can do about that. But if you watch the Football League high-lights on a Saturday evening over the coming weeks, you will see Newport's pitch will have less and less grass because they share with the rugby club.

Board footera