BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04/7/2017 12:30 PM  #1

Forest Green

FGR are apparently due to start training at Stanley Park. Given we both got promotion maybe a chance for another pre-season friendly?

04/7/2017 2:36 PM  #2

Re: Forest Green

Pre-season friendlies are arranged long ago so highly unlikely, although Swindon have been scrabbling around looking for games as their shambolic end of season lurched into the summer months.  That would have been a good one, and would have attracted a large crowd.  I would even go to that one :-)  We really should be playing them, being the top non-league side in Wiltshire.  Instead they're playing Supermarine, Melksham and Salisbury.  Missed a trick there surely?   

04/7/2017 2:45 PM  #3

Isn't this facility supposed to be for the use of the local community. Can't see why a professional side from another county are able to use it, or is it all about money?

04/7/2017 4:04 PM  #4

It's a great facility but it needs funds, so why not hire it out to pro clubs?  They won't be there at weekends, when it's primarily used by local clubs, so it makes perfect sense to maximise its use and get much needed income during the weekdays.  The Pulse Academy are also based at Stanley Park.  For those lads to be able to train and learn alongside a professional outfit is a real bonus for them. 
Swindon are back at Beaversbrook too, so we've got two league clubs training in the locality.

04/7/2017 4:26 PM  #5

I presume it was built by grants from the fa or football foundation, local council, I doubt if they had a training base for Forest Green Remoulds in mind when they so did. Don't other groups use the artificial pitch during the day e.g. the walking footballers.

04/7/2017 4:44 PM  #6

Not sure you're aware of the scale of the place Charlie.  FGR won't be on the 3G - they train on grass and the Stanley Park pitches, of which there are many, are top notch, hence FGR leaving the Ciren Agricultural College where they've trained for some years.  Those pitches not up to standard I'm led to believe.
'Walking Footballers'?  One hour or so per week if they can manage it?  That's really going to keep the place buzzing.

04/7/2017 5:05 PM  #7

Cheers IL as you say I am not really au fait with SP. I understand the Town sometimes train there and the Youth teams use it, as long as they and other local teams are not effected I can see where you are coming from, but it still sits uncomfortable that our local facility needs to rely on out of County money as it were,

Last edited by Charlie Bird (04/7/2017 5:06 PM)

04/7/2017 7:38 PM  #8

Charlie Bird wrote:

Cheers IL as you say I am not really au fait with SP. I understand the Town sometimes train there and the Youth teams use it, as long as they and other local teams are not effected I can see where you are coming from, but it still sits uncomfortable that our local facility needs to rely on out of County money as it were,

Not relying as managed for years without it but no doubt the money will be welcome to better the superb facilities further

05/7/2017 4:22 PM  #9

See FGR have loaned a player to Hungerford, wonder if we will be in line for any should the need or opportunity arise.

Board footera