BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14/10/2014 7:30 PM  #1

Thank you, Arthur Wimble

In 1983 the team travelled to Exmouth Town, one of the high flyers of the Western League. The squad that day included Keith Nash, Brian Mortimer, Ian Monnery, Nigel Tripp, Colin Moss, Chris Meech, Steve Bell, Mickie Ashe, Phil Gainey, Chris Ashe, Rod Pratt, Alan Gale, Ray Baker, Graham Learmonth, Micky Avis and Paul Rose.
Greeting us at the King George V ground at Southern Road was a gentleman from Chippenham who had caught the train to Exeter and then cycled to Exmouth for the match. Arthur Wimble was his name.
Ian Monnery worked in the same office at Westinghouse and introduced him to the club.  Arthur soon joined the committee, and when Tony Knee decided to hand over the reins as Secretary, Arthur took up the task.
For 13 years Arthur dedicated every hour, looking after all three teams as Secretary, and also controlled the dressing rooms, pitch maintainance, mowing and marking out the pitch, just some of his many duties.
In 1996 Arthur decided to stand down handing the reins to the very able Chris Blake, but he continued to be involved every day with duties he was proud to do. The 'Last of the Summer Wine' boys and girls, particularly his great friend, Ken Jefferies, met every morning, looking forward to the next fixture, putting the world to right, and keeping Hardenhuish Park a wonderful venue for players, visitors and supporters of the Town.
In 2010 Arthur decided that the time had come for him to relinquish his daily toil.
His bicycle would not take him along Woodlands Road every morning.
When work was done at the ground he would have cycled into town, sit, chat and remark about the day to his many friends in the High Street, before he made his way for lunch at Jollys or Fish and Chips in Timber Street.
Arthur Wimble, a fine man and a wonderful friend.
Those were the days, my friend.

Last edited by doug webb (15/10/2014 10:08 AM)

14/10/2014 8:49 PM  #2

Re: Thank you, Arthur Wimble

Very touching and clearly heartfelt tribute Doug

14/10/2014 8:59 PM  #3

Wonderful Doug. He'll be missed.

14/10/2014 10:23 PM  #4

Great words Doug.  Arthur was a real gentleman.

15/10/2014 5:57 AM  #5

Nice tribute Doug, Arthur must have travelled many times around the world on his bike
A true gent

15/10/2014 12:50 PM  #6

I also worked with Arthur and Ian 'Monno' Monnery in the same office in Westinghouse Signals back in the early 1980's, and it was Arthur (affectionately known as Wombat to his work mates) who re-introduced me to CTFC, initially as a supporter, then committee member and now of course the pre-match ground sweeper upper which I inherited from Arthur and have done this job for over 30 years now. Arthur loved cycling and every summer he would choose an area he had never visited, and on his return would prepare a small report on his travels which everone enjoyed reading. Arthur was a very private man but loved the company of others. I was absolutely stunned when I heard he had passed away last week-end. I think it is fair to say that Arthur has played a major part in helping get the club to the level we are now. I will never forget Wombat and feel very honoured to have been a friend to one of life's true gentlemen. RIP Arthur

19/10/2014 12:18 AM  #7

Nice tribute Doug - it is the dedicated help at the lower levels of football that make it so special and unique. Hope the club will recognise  Arthur's years of hard work

19/10/2014 8:19 PM  #8

Lovely words Doug.  Arthur was always a part of the furniture at Hardenhuish Park, always had a smile for everyone.   A true gent.  If they have terraces in Heaven I can think of a few will people who will be looking forward to a good natter with Arthur.   RIP Arthur.

Last edited by SM (19/10/2014 8:19 PM)

Board footera