BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02/5/2024 10:37 AM  #1

Stock Taking

...To get the ball rolling, at least....some thoughts on 2023/24 & hopes for 24/25.

202-24:- Overall, a really good solid season, with , in the end a comfortable mid-table position against a backdrop of some bigger clubs in serious difficulties, mostly financial. Moral: Beware OVER ambition.
 Not perhaps the "fantastic" season that Gary would have it, but pretty good.  The "fantastic" parts were (a) our excellent Away form; and (b) that great little run at the season's end that took us well clear of any relegation wobbles.
Less fantastic was our Home form.  In common with several other clubs, we simply dropped too many points at home.. and to modest opposition, too. Not only that, but some of the characteristics of our Home play frustrated even the most loyal of us.  Those concerns have been pretty well voiced on this Forum over the months. However, Home form will still be an issue for 2024/5,  as it must ultimately impact on gates.

2024-25:- Unlike the end of last season when we had a major turnover of playing personnel, I really hope we can hold on to the majority of the current squad. We know who are the definites already ( although the Club may be made an offer for Dan Ellison that they can't and wouldn't want to refuse).  The core or spine of the Team that I would want to retain  is ( from the back):- Will Henry, Eddie & Freddie, Luke Spokes, Tom Mehew, AAH, Fas, & Dan Ellison.  Delighted to see Jake staying, and probably Caine ( who went off the boil a bit in the latter half of the season, along with Will King). Tyreke would be an asset to any team on his day. Nat Williams & Leighton Tuodoulo did themselves no harm by having good final games. TOE ended the season a lot more effectively than he began it on return from injury.  Alex Bray is a brilliant utility player, but his recurrent injuries are a worry.  MM I am ssuming will be gone?? Rumours ( if true!!)  of a new striker coming in -already familiar with the Club- might lend weight to that. MM was a great Club servant but his gifts haven't, as yet, really suited our style of play.
The biggest 2 question marks for me are Luke Spokes & AAH.  AAH , if I remember, came in as an emergency replacement during the Will Richards saga. He's a reall footballer.  and when  the big man goes up front,  Fas and others can feed off second ball from his touches. Spokes' distribution on occasions suggests a player who would be comfortable in the NL Prem or even higher.  He's strong on the ball, too.  Not surprised he was cited as Manager's Player of the Season.. especially as he had to play out of position on a number of occasions. I would suspect that money migt be the sticking point in retaining both these two.

Shout-Outs: It's boring but necessary to keep saying what a brilliantly run club we are.. from the Chairman down. Long may he continue in role. Instead of migratory birds in the National League South, we are now an established Club.
I still feel that some  of our practices and thinking are very dated and that we operate  below our potential in some areas. I also think that  there's an energy and ideas in the Support base, despite some of us being of advanced years, that is not being tapped sufficiently.... but hey! we could be Taunton, Torquay, Bury, Oldham, Gloucester.... etc etc.
We can now only watch as the Close Season horse-trading ( thoroughbreds not nags,I hope) goes on and that we get to keep the best of last season's bunch. See some of you at the Friendlies... 

Last edited by Rambler (02/5/2024 10:39 AM)

02/5/2024 8:11 PM  #2

Re: Stock Taking

Would add Luke Haines to the 'core', and would like to see Ed Williams stay as well.

02/5/2024 8:47 PM  #3

Too many midfielders and not enough strikers are on the books which was obvious last season. Don't think too much will change on this front though.

02/5/2024 10:22 PM  #4

Happy for most of the squad to stay would expect to see Alex Bray and Matt McClure depart. Just don’t get enough games out of Bray and Tyreke offering a better option.
Need to get more games out of AAH next season as he is obviously quality.
Ed Williams I also like but needs to add more goals to his game.
Like others have said, we need more options at the top end of the pitch.

04/5/2024 8:24 PM  #5

So, was 23-24 a successful season for Chippenham Town FC? Probably depends on the definition of 'successful'. Some would say no, we failed to make the playoffs and departed the FA Cup at the first opportunity. Some would say yes, we were comfortably mid table for most of the season and had a run in the Trophy. Personally I'm somewhere in between. A lot of home games were incredibly frustrating and some of the tactics were difficult to understand at times, but we were never in danger of going down. Away results were excellent and the Home form improved in the latter part of the season.

As for the squad Dan Ellison's progress has been well documented and I agree with most on here we really do need another (proven) goal scorer. The standout players for me were Will Henry and AAH (both class) and Fas who often battled alone up front. Hopefully they are staying.

Board footera