BLUEBIRDS FANS FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/4/2018 5:55 PM  #1

Time to take stock - What next?

I know it’s not mathematically certain we’re safe, but realistically we are – we were probably safe once we’d beaten Eastbourne Borough on Easter Saturday.  To be on 47 points with the possibility of at least hitting the 50-point mark come the end of the season is a huge achievement and, in my humble opinion, on a par with winning the Southern Premier League.  
Great credit has to go to the Chairman, the Board, Mark, Gary, Jason and the whole of the back-room team (and all the families connected!).  It’s an all-consuming job looking after the football club and I take my hat off to all those involved.
Relegation after just one season would have been gut wrenching and, judging by the reaction to our defeat against Concord, it’s a feeling shared by many.  Much as I enjoy watching football lower down the pyramid I don’t want CTFC to be anywhere other than this level now we’ve had a taste of it.   It clearly hasn’t been plain sailing, and the departure of Dave Pratt added to the re-organisation of the coaching staff mid-season must have had an impact and could have derailed us completely, but credit to everyone concerned who helped steady the ship.
The National South has been a steep learning curve for everyone associated with the club, but a hugely enjoyable one from a spectator’s perspective.  Our average attendance for the season to date is 600, the eighth highest in the division.  I realise that figure is inflated by the Bath City game but with the prospect of Torquay United and Hereford (if they don’t go ‘north’) joining us next season we’ll get some even bigger gates than the ones we’ve had this season so there’s a lot to look forward to.  The trick will be consolidating and progressing in what can sometimes be the “difficult second season” syndrome, and in a division that could well be even stronger.
So what next?  I go back to what the Chairman stated at the open forum last summer, “We’re not stopping here”, or words to that effect.  I took that to mean we aim to progress year on year.  Now that’s easier said than done of course, and small steps are all we can realistically hope for, but a higher league position, going further in the Trophy, a good run the FA Cup are all achievable for a club of our size if the resources are there.   And there’s the rub.  I haven’t a clue what our budget is, or what it takes to keep us afloat, but the financial commitment must be considerable.  And our success over the past couple of years won’t have gone unnoticed of course.   Other clubs with greater financial clout could well be coveting our key individuals who have shown they can more than handle this level, and that’s not necessarily just the players.   There’s bound to be some turnover in personnel, that’s inevitable and necessary, but it’s vital we keep the core group together, from the management down.   It’ll be interesting to see how things shape up in the coming weeks/months.  Hopefully we’ll be able to recruit a dynamic Commercial Manager (advertised in the local press today) who will be able to generate the levels of income required to take us forward.  In the mean time I hope a considerable number of supporters will take the opportunity to buy season tickets (the Early Bird details are on the club’s website) as a show of support to Neil, the Board and Team Management.  After the fantastic efforts of this season it’s the least they deserve.  COYB.

12/4/2018 9:53 PM  #2

Re: Time to take stock - What next?

Well done, very very good Inside Left, credit to you for such a profound thread.

13/4/2018 8:24 AM  #3

Totally agree with blueboo that Insideleft's posting is an excellent summary of our first season at National South. Yes the quality of the teams we have seen this season have been excellent, and to be honest apart from one or two, there are no real weak teams at this level. The difference between this level and the SLP is that teams take half chances, and capitalize on individual errors, which we have found to our cost. So yes, what happens next ? I'm sure the management team know the areas in the squad that need strengthening, and equally a professional Commercial Manager is required to raise the profile and awareness of the club, and what we are trying to achieve .Excellent news that this role is being advertised for now. In my view, now that we have nearly got this season under our belts, we should kick on next season and progress up the league. The crowds have been excellent this season, but I still feel the people of Chippenham are not totally aware of the standard of football the club operates in now. For example there is nothing in the town centre to promote the club. Equally I think the Town Council could do a lot more to assist the club. At last year's presentation evening the Mayor stated the club deserved the support of the various Council body's, but it just has not happened. When our illustrious MP attended a game earlier in the season, she was heard to say 'Which way do I look' and 'What colour are Chippenham ? sums it up really.  COYMB

14/4/2018 10:49 AM  #4

A very thorough analysis Insideleft of where we are now. We've certainly come a long way over the last 20 years. Despite being short of space at Hardenhuish Park, we've always managed to comply with ground improvements required to play at a higher level. We play the slope to our best advantage and the pitch is able to soak up any amount of water. The new ground in a field opposite Stanley Park never materialised and neither did the new clubhouse complete with a crèche at HP, but had they, we'd probably still be paying for them now and they might well have hampered our progress on the pitch. Slow and steady seems to be the Chippenham way and its served us well. Given that Mark (and Tom) took Swindon Supermarine to the 2nd round proper of the F.A Cup, I'd love to see Mark repeat the feat with Chippenham. A lucrative run of games would open up all sorts of possibilities. 

Board footera